Best recorded live Jazz

Jazzhd

• I like Jazz music and Room Correction Software.
Best recorded live Jazz
« on: 10 Dec 2016, 04:49 pm »
Hi, for Jazz lovers, what is your best Live recorded cd or sacd ?

Gofspar

Re: Best recorded live Jazz
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2016, 11:23 pm »
Kind of Blue by Miles Davis.  :thumb:

screener

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2016, 10:45 pm »
Ray Brown Trio: Summer Wind - Live at the Loa

"Summer Wind - Live at the Loa"

The Ray Brown Trio
Gene Harris
Jeff Hamilton

luckyguy

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2016, 11:19 pm »
"Jazz at the Pawnshop"  SACD/CD version Volume one of three.  Luv them vibes.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2016, 11:36 pm »
Telarc did (does?) a bunch of live CD's. The Oscar Peterson Live At the Blue Note ones are wonderful - though you have to clearly hear Oscar's trademark noises that he made when playing - a nasal vocalization.

Junior Mance Live at the Village Vanguard is a wonderful concert - however, if you listen at normal or low levels, it may sound muted/rolled off/dull. You need to crank this one up as loud as possible. Once it fills the soundstage, the whole atmosphere is re-created.

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2016, 11:46 pm »
There is a lot of great live jazz concerts available on the Concert Vault.

http://www.concertvault.com/

This has a most excellent version of All Blues

http://www.concertvault.com/rahsaan-roland-kirk/fillmore-auditorium-april-18-1968.html

P.S. Kind of Blue is a studio album.

screener

« Reply #6 on: 31 Dec 2016, 12:04 am »
Bill Evans Trio: Sunday At The Village Vanguard

"Sunday At The Village Vanguard"

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2016, 12:04 am »
P.S. Kind of Blue is a studio album.

I always thought so...

Anyway, Wes Montgomery "Smokin' At The Half Note" is good, especially considering the strange layout of the venue, described in the liner notes.

drphoto

« Reply #8 on: 31 Dec 2016, 12:49 am »
+1 on Jazz at the Pawnshop. Not only a very well recorded record, they musicianship is flat out great. And fun. I love how they mess around with that false ending on the first track.

While I think "Kinda Blue" is one of the best jazz albums of all time.....I don't think it's live. Of course I could be (often am) wrong about that.

CSI

« Reply #9 on: 31 Dec 2016, 01:03 am »
KOB is definitely one of the greatest of all time and, strangely enough, has been recognized as such since the year it was recorded. My mother gave it to me for my birthday on the recommendation of her hairdresser! It was NOT a live album.

My choice for a great live album is The Chick Corea Trio - Live in Europe 1984. Corea/Haynes/Vitous.

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 31 Dec 2016, 01:05 am »

While I think "Kinda Blue" is one of the best jazz albums of all time.....I don't think it's live. Of course I could be (often am) wrong about that.

Well, it's live in the studio. Before the mid-sixties, most recordings were done over and over until they got it right. Goof up in the middle and they would stop and start all over again. Sometimes they would splice sections from one or more takes into the master tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RqrBKfg1sE

Doublej

« Reply #11 on: 31 Dec 2016, 01:41 am »
Well, it's live in the studio. Before the mid-sixties, most recordings were done over and over until they got it right. Goof up in the middle and they would stop and start all over again. Sometimes they would splice sections from one or more takes into the master tape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RqrBKfg1sE

"the persistent legend that the entire album was recorded in one pass is untrue"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kind_of_Blue

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 31 Dec 2016, 02:19 am »
"the persistent legend that the entire album was recorded in one pass is untrue"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kind_of_Blue

Never thought that. I guess I wasn't clear enough. Each song (track) is a song played together live. It doesn't mean that they did the whole album on first tries. Sometimes they ran through a song several times (takes) before it was good enough and put on an album.

But when you hear a song on the album, it is a complete, live, in-studio performance.

dB Cooper

« Reply #13 on: 31 Dec 2016, 02:39 am »
I interpreted 'Live' as 'In some public setting with an audience'.

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2016, 02:59 am »
These are all "live" concert recordings, and all recorded "live" to mono or stereo tape master. Although plenty of post processing happens over the decades.

One of the first live concert jazz recordings was in 1954, Art Blakey Quintet "A Night at Birdland." 23 yo trumpeter Clifford Brown appeared on this album, recorded live on location by Rudy Van Gelder. Then he went off to Europe for a few months with Lionel Hampton, and when he returned he was a star! A friend of mine attended this concert as a teenager and said the atmosphere was electric, everyone knew something very special was happening. The birth of Clifford Brown's star, the birth of the Jazz Messengers, the first big album for Blue Note Records, one of the first live jazz recordings by a record label.

Probably the most famous live jazz recording of all time is Ellington at Newport. Notice it doesn't say live at Newport? The legend of the live concert was well known, but the actual live recording was not released until 1999! A studio session recorded the next day in NYC famous Columbia studio was overdubbed with applause and other effects to make it sound like a live recording. The liner notes imply the recording is live from the previous night's concert. The new 2 CD release from 1999 contains both recordings, the studio session and the real live concert, including the spine-tingling, riotous audience reaction to the famous Paul Gonsalves astonishingly long tenor sax solo. Cat Anderson, Johnny Hodges, Sam Woodyard, all unbelievable. This recording brought Duke Ellington's career back from the brink when the country was tired of big band jazz, starting to go for cool jazz and rhythm&blues/rock. Recording quality is mostly excellent. Not to be missed!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellington_at_Newport

These two records had a huge impact on the renaissance of jazz in America in the 80s. Many of the well known jazz musicians of the last two decades played this music in high school and college. IMO there is no more exciting big band music ever recorded, but they say Kenton fans are of a "very special breed" and it's not for everyone. If you're gonna love Kenton, you'll love this. I was honored to have the trumpet soloist on these records, Tim Hagans, come to one of my gigs in Boston when I was a kid. I wanted his job sooo bad!

A more recent favorite live jazz recording is Kenny Barron's Live at Bradley's. 2 volumes, excellent recording quality, mix, superb SQ. The performance is classic modern New York piano trio, performed at the peak of the period, at ground zero home of the genre. The piano is Paul Desmond's Baldwin Concert Grand piano, which he bequeathed to the club owner. It's not Bud Powell or Monk, but it's all the refinement of the trio genre that developed after them.

One final recco is Dizzy Gillespie Live at Newport, 1957. Some of Dizzy's best playing and entertaining. On the Horace Silver tune Doodlin, Dizzy dramatically introduces the "Star of the Band" as Pee Wee Moore, a local Raleigh musician, RIP. I brought this album to one of his gigs and got his autograph around 1997? He seemed glad someone still cared about this music.

Oops one more, the very definition of swing. The essence of Count Basie, imo. I saw him in concert 4 times. The players of this era all say this was the best jazz band ever.

And another.. last one, I promise. This one is from the first concert of Miles' second great quintet. A young Tony Williams makes himself a legend on this.

putz

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2016, 03:49 am »
Monty Alexander Trio

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2016, 03:57 am »

One of my favs.

And

gsm18439