McCoy Tyner

Mike-48

McCoy Tyner
« on: 19 Oct 2016, 10:05 am »
We went to hear McCoy Tyner last night at Revolution Hall in Portland (Oregon). The 850-seat hall was full, with a few attendees (I imagine PDXJazz volunteers) standing along the walls. Tyner received a standing ovation when he entered the stage and another one when he left.

The great pianist, at 77 years old, played beautifully but not long. Including a couple of numbers by his group without him, the concert was 90 minutes.

I've been listening to McCoy Tyner's music on recordings since his early 1960s work with Coltrane, and I've always thought him one of the most vital and interesting jazz pianists. He's still a wonderful player; however, he looked and sounded (when he spoke) more frail than I had expected. This was a moving reminder that both he and I are getting old. I am grateful to have been able to attend.

Gerald Cannon, bass; Joe Farnsworth (drums); Sherman Irby (alto sax).

richidoo

Re: McCoy Tyner
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2016, 03:11 pm »
Cool!!  8)  Thanks for the mini review. Good to know he's still kickin.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2016, 04:35 pm »

I've been listening to McCoy Tyner's music on recordings since his early 1960s work with Coltrane, and I've always thought him one of the most vital and interesting jazz pianists. He's still a wonderful player; however, he looked and sounded (when he spoke) more frail than I had expected. This was a moving reminder that both he and I are getting old. I am grateful to have been able to attend.

When I heard Brubeck in the early 00's, he had trouble walking/shuffling, his voice was weak but when he played the piano, it was incredible.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2016, 05:08 pm »
I too was at this show.  The bass beat is still in my head.  Gerald Cannon (they all were) spectacular.

I agree, he is much more frail since I last saw him.  Much wisdom there and he commands respect.

pdxjazz is a wonderful foundation.

strateahed

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2016, 07:03 pm »
I had a couple of opportunities to experience McCoy ... first in the 70's and then a few years back at Yoshi's in Oakland, CA. Great shows with lots of energy both times. It's good to know that he's still performing at a high level.

Also had similar experiences with Sonny Rollins and Marian McPartland  playing different venues at advanced ages of 83 and 91 respectively. Both walked out slowly, gingerly, then proceeded to put on two of the best shows I'd ever been blessed to attend.   

ACHiPo

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2016, 10:08 pm »
Thanks for the review.  I'm jealous--while I know the owner of Revolution Hall, I've never been able to see a band there.  Reminds me of seeing both Brubeck a couple years before his death, and more recently seeing Barbara Carroll and Jay Leonhardt at Birdland, where they helped each other onto the stage.  Once they got to their respective instruments they blew me away.

It's important to get out to see these greats before they pass.