DIY panels

mcgsxr

Re: DIY panels
« Reply #20 on: 30 Nov 2016, 03:34 pm »
I finally got around to hanging the ceiling panels.  They are 1 inch OC705.  Not easy to find in my neck of the woods, so I ended up buying these and the clips (rotofast) to hang them on the ceiling.

Another notch in the right direction I would say.

« Last Edit: 1 Dec 2016, 01:33 pm by mcgsxr »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2016, 11:39 pm »
Nice!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #22 on: 1 Dec 2016, 12:26 pm »
 :thumb: to Mark

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 9 Dec 2016, 06:28 am »
How does it sound?  Lots of improvement over the bare room?

mcgsxr

« Reply #24 on: 16 Dec 2016, 06:36 pm »
I don't have any measurements, I don't own the requisite gear to take them.

The room was not bad before.  I always enjoyed music in this room since finishing off the basement around 3 years ago.

I decided to try some panels, because it just made sense to try them while I have a lot of control over my listening space.  Not truly dedicated, but no one cares what I put on the walls or ceiling in that room.

I still need to build 2 more large bass traps for the front corners.  I have a panel across them, but the one I built at the back of the room with Roxul S&S behind it (filling in the triangle) works much better.  The bass is already tighter and better defined, but it lags the improvements in other areas.

At present, the significant improvements center around soundstage, clarity and decay.  I am amazed how much better cymbals fade, or reverb in a given recording space is represented after tackling first and second reflection points on walls and ceiling.

It is so much better, I am embarrassed it took me this long to get around to it!

It is -10C out at the moment, so the 2x6 foot panels for the front corners will have to wait until Spring at this point, but I am going to build them for sure.

16hz lover

« Reply #25 on: 16 Dec 2016, 08:24 pm »
Thanks for all the pics