DIY panels

mcgsxr

DIY panels
« on: 14 Aug 2016, 05:52 pm »
I have read a lot about these.

I picked up some Roxul Comfortboard 80 this AM in 24x48x1.5 inch size.

Looking for first reflection point control.

Bass traps later.  Panels first. 

I figure I can either double it up to build panels with 1x4 or use 1 layer of the 80 and one layer of Safe n Sound.

Suggestions?

paul79

• Industry Participant
Re: DIY panels
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2016, 06:17 pm »
being only 1.5" thick I would likely double it up. Hybrid idea you have is a good one for sure.

Guy 13

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2016, 10:24 pm »
I have read a lot about these.

I picked up some Roxul Comfortboard 80 this AM in 24x48x1.5 inch size.

Looking for first reflection point control.

Bass traps later.  Panels first. 

I figure I can either double it up to build panels with 1x4 or use 1 layer of the 80 and one layer of Safe n Sound.

Suggestions?

mcgsxr,
may I know where you bought your Roxul Comfortboard 80 ?

Guy 13

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2016, 10:41 pm »
Home Depot in Canada carries the 1.5 inch thickness these days. 

I could get 2-3 inch thick from a local insulation supplier but with a 3 bale minimum that is way over my total budget.

I found a bale of Safe n Sound locally for 50% off retail on Kijiji.

I will use both the Comfortboard and Safe n Sound together for a few panels and use the balance for bass traps. 

The Safe n Sound is 3 inches thick.  So total depth uncompressed is about 4.5.  The 1x4 is only 3.5 so may need to squeeze a bit to wrap them.  I assume that will not compromise the usefulness.

Guy 13

« Reply #4 on: 15 Aug 2016, 05:02 am »
Home Depot in Canada carries the 1.5 inch thickness these days. 

I could get 2-3 inch thick from a local insulation supplier but with a 3 bale minimum that is way over my total budget.

I found a bale of Safe n Sound locally for 50% off retail on Kijiji.

I will use both the Comfortboard and Safe n Sound together for a few panels and use the balance for bass traps. 

The Safe n Sound is 3 inches thick.  So total depth uncompressed is about 4.5.  The 1x4 is only 3.5 so may need to squeeze a bit to wrap them.  I assume that will not compromise the usefulness.

Thanks.

Guy 13

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2016, 04:21 pm »
Bought 1x4 pine this AM, and am clamping together the frames for the 3 DIY traps.  Decided to use 2 layers of the 1.5 inch Roxul Comfortboard for those and save the Roxul safe n sound for corner bass traps.

Should be able to get 3 done today and begin experimenting with placement.

Bought 4 thinner panels off a local place that builds them.  Will use 2 of those as ceiling panels for first reflection points.

Will use the other 2 as the "face" for my DIY corner traps.  Easier than building an actual frame for those etc.

mcgsxr

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2016, 07:01 pm »
3 panels built and in place.

More conference calls yet today so I won't get to listen until this evening at the earliest.

undertowogt1

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2016, 10:37 pm »
Those panels look great. I have been thinking of building some my self. Exactly how did you secure the 1.5 inch Roxul Comfortboard and the safe and sound inside your frame?

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2016, 02:52 am »
What did you use as fabric cover?

mcgsxr

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2016, 12:06 pm »
The Roxul s just a friction fit inside the frames.  It so simple to trim with a bread knife (dedicated one, not going back to the kitchen now!) and simply press fit it into the frames.

I went shopping for beige speaker cloth.  I had bought some in the past at that place.  It was all gone this time around.  I walked around looking for fairly porous cloth I could see and breathe through.   Found some clear out stuff at $3 a yard that was perfect and there was enough for my 3 traps.

My cats will inevitably dig into it, so in time I may have the "opportunity" to change the cloth in the future. 

undertowogt1

« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2016, 03:32 pm »
Cool. Please let us know your listening impressions when you get some time.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2016, 04:40 pm »
I've used it. Good stuff. There are safety precaustions to follow, as per instructions on the Roxul site:

Dust Control

Another important safety consideration when handling insulation is dust control. These recommended work practices will help you to use the products in a way that minimises transient itching of the skin.

How to reduce dust

1. Store the material to protect against damage, including humidity.

2. Unpack the material at the application site.

3. Cut the insulation on a flat surface. Use a sharp knife with serrated edge. Don’t use a saw. Unless you need to cut hard roof boards.

4. Open a door or open a window to ensure good ventilation.

5. Organize your workplace in a manner that makes mounting and fixing easy.

6. Cover open ventilation ducts to reduce particulate in the ducts.

7. In confined spaces with poor ventilation use protective goggles and a dust mask. Gloves and loose fitting, longsleeved, longlegged work clothes advised.

8. Keep your workplace clean. Prevent whirling dust. Use a vacuum cleaner, not a broom.

9. Don’t rub. Wash in cold water. Change clothes and wash on completing work.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2016, 07:00 pm »
I built the panels in the garage, so I had little concern about the worksite.

I finished off the rear of the panels this afternoon.  My daughter picked out the second fabric, again a close out at the local Fabricland.

My wife has yet to bless which side will be prominently displayed!  i assume the beige, but it does not matter to me.

Early reactions to the sound are mixed. 

On the upside I can hear further into tracks, and I can hear detail without straining to interpret it.  Wider soundstage for sure, and improved imaging.

On the downside it makes it clear that my plan for bass traps is a wise one, and cannot come too soon.

I used 2 layers of the Comfortboard in these traps.  It was easier than trying to combine the Safe n Sound with the limited depth for the panels I was willing to live with.

I will use the Safe n Sound as superchunk style traps next week.

Here is a shot of the back of the panels and then the finished rear.  Still working out how and where to hang them.

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2016, 02:52 am »
Nice!  I like the 'wild' look of the fabric. :)

Armaegis

« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2016, 05:37 am »
Feels very rockabilly...

Guy 13

« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2016, 09:48 am »
Look like three dimensions material !  :thumb:

mcgsxr

« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2016, 08:25 pm »
I played around with placement last night, and did a lot of reading about how best to arrange and mount the panels I have made.

I decided on using 1 vertical panel on the right wall, as well as 1 horizontal panel there.  Should catch both first reflection points for both speakers this way.

I built up a small (24x24) panel with my leftovers and placed that on the left wall.  It should catch both first reflection points for both speakers, and the wall is further away anyway.

I bolted my last trap across the rear right corner by the pool table.

All 4 of my DIY traps are effectively 3 inch of Roxul, and a 2.5 inch gap.  Best compromise I could come up with to use them well, and still be able to use the room effectively.

Once the pro made pieces come next week I can treat my first reflection points on the ceiling, and also straddle the L and R front corners.  I intend to fill in behind them with Roxul Safe n Sound (basically 4 foot high superchunks with a panel in front of them).

That will give me 3 corners treated, though only 4 feet high.  I cannot go all the way to the ceiling in all 3, though I could extend the front right corner to the ceiling.

Thanks for the advice so far guys!

Armaegis

« Reply #17 on: 22 Aug 2016, 05:58 pm »
Did you use a C-bracket to suspend them away from the walls?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2016, 08:52 pm »
Good work, Mark!

That cheetah pattern would scare the hell out of my wife.  :roll:

My sofa in Taoyuan is right up against the back wall just like yours. I can't wait to get something against it, but it's gotta pass muster first.  :duh:

Michael

mcgsxr

« Reply #19 on: 23 Aug 2016, 04:24 pm »
Did you use a C-bracket to suspend them away from the walls?

I used simple 3 inch L brackets from Home Depot.  Wall plugs for the drywall to attach the bracket to the wall.  A screw through each bracket into the wood frame of the panel.  I used 3 per 2x4 foot panel, and just 2 for the small panel, and just 2 for the panel straddling the corner.