MLV kicked my a$$ yesterday

Big Red Machine

MLV kicked my a$$ yesterday
« on: 30 Jul 2016, 12:54 pm »
I bought 5 rolls of 15 foot mass loaded vinyl for the ceiling of my new room. Even with the help of a drywall lift and with two of us cranking on this, we had to cut the rolls in half and double the seams because at 1 lb/ft, this stuff is heavy!

Trying to attach it to the ceiling and keep it straight with limited buckling was a trick. We taped the seams with Tyvek tape and I even wrapped the steel beam in the room with it. Roofing nails with washers hold nice but hammering up is not effective. I ended up using primarily 1 inch drywall screws and then going back for some insurance coverage with the nails/washers.

One more 48 inch strip across the back yet to do. If this does not add that extra deadening over my past builds I'll not be ashamed to say I'd skip this ball breaker exercise. We'll see. Concentrating on sound going up and flanking up and over the wall edges since the living room is right above.

mcgsxr

Re: MLV kicked my a$$ yesterday
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2016, 06:55 pm »
To truly soundproof you are taking all the hard steps.  I did just the easy stuff to help prevent sound transmission when I did my room.

It will be interesting to see some readings in the room plus in the rooms above at the end.

Hope you gate through it ok!

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 31 Jul 2016, 01:11 pm »
I'm trying to do this as "right" as makes sense for a room with 3 sides concrete, the fourth another basement family room, and above is the main living room where my wife would predominantly watch TV. So I am keen to focus on sound going up (essentially zero coming down) and am doing what I can to stop it dead in its tracks and prevent flanking noise from eeking out through the walls and then upwards.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jul 2016, 04:42 pm »
If you have the height, the best thing to do is use RSIC-1 or RSIC-V clips and channel, then hang the drywall from that.  Reducing the amount of surface contact to the joists along with making the cavity above larger will do a lot to help with bass transmission.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 31 Jul 2016, 09:04 pm »
Rsic, double drywall, mlv, rockwool in 2x10's. Not sure what else i can do.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2016, 09:31 pm »
The clips help to isolate your space from upstairs. 

And eliminate any electrical boxes (especially recessed can lights) from the ceiling.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2016, 10:13 pm »
and green glue, of course.

Oh, and joist tape as well.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2016, 04:25 pm »
That's good Pete.  Thought you were putting MLV directly on the joists.

Carry on...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2016, 01:40 pm »
That's good Pete.  Thought you were putting MLV directly on the joists.

Carry on...

Where would I put it? It's 54 inches wide and I cut them into 7 and 8 foot pieces for easier handling and attached them to the bottom of the floor joists. I'll add the rsic clips next onto the same joists.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2016, 01:48 pm »
Where would I put it? It's 54 inches wide and I cut them into 7 and 8 foot pieces for easier handling and attached them to the bottom of the floor joists. I'll add the rsic clips next onto the same joists.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2016, 12:33 pm »
I'll do a full build expose when done. Here's a teaser of the hat channel with integrity gasket prior to double drywalling the ceiling with greenglue and caulking the seams.

Can't imagine doing this without a drywall lift (last build I did) and with one of us 6' 4" and me 6' 6". Step stools were an annoyance. But lots of looking and reaching up. 8+ hours of effort for 16 sheets after I spent almost 4 hours prepping by putting up the channel and adding the tape.