Bryston Remote, YEAH!!!!!!

amblin

• 'On the cutting edge of cocking about.'
Re: Bryston Remote, YEAH!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: 19 Jul 2016, 10:34 pm »
A well made remote is part of the presentation. It's all about the 'complete package' . just like after spending 100k on a posh car, when you sit in it you'd expect all things silver to be made of metal, not cheap plastic. It's the basis of making picky people happy and pay ---- the presentation.

The BR2 is nice, milled from a solid block of Alu and can control everything with backlight .

But styling wise I think there's still room for improvement...

1,It's too thick and short . long and thin is better, like a MP40  magazine, around 30cm long with dedicated area for large volume control buttons. Heavy is good, heavy equals quality  :green: aim for 2 pounds .

2,buttons are well made but too small and blue backlight can be quite difficult to read.

3, the finishing is quite rough.. Especially on the edges. How about nice simple matte silver.

Frobozky

« Reply #21 on: 28 Jul 2016, 06:39 pm »
If this works with the BP26, I too would love to have one.  I wish Bryston still made a simple remote that wasn't $400.  No offense to Bryston.

Mr. Fisher made one for my BP26.  It works fine and has that bulletproof feel that is reputed to be a feature of the original BP26 remote.

-Mike

BozemanEric

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jul 2016, 03:41 am »
That's a slick remote, well done.

I love the heft of my BR2 remote -- then I know that when (not if) I drop it on the floor, it will still work (and it has!).

...and it controls all of my front-end Bryston gear. BDA, BCD, BDP, BP17.  :thumb:

I really like the weight and feel of the remote. The only drawback is that if you do drop it on edge you can put a dent in your hardwood floors. The only other drop that has dented the Hickory was an espresso tamper.

jaxwired

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jul 2016, 10:56 pm »
Jaxwired,

Will the one shown in your URL also work for the BP26?

-Mike

I'm sure Curt could make one that works with the bp26 as well.  Reach out to him via that eBay link. 

jaxwired

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jul 2016, 11:03 pm »
Hi Steven

Yes we have looked at that and they literally want many thousands of units ordered - not workable in a small company. I think the best option for those that do not want ti use the Bryston remote is to buy a learning remote and download the codes.

james

I tried two different harmony remotes and never got it to work the bp6.  However I was able to get a cheap learning remote to work but it was the kind that you hold up the original remote and shoot the codes into the learning remote.  Obviously this requires you actually have the original manufactures remote. 

This custom remote from Curt operates everything that can be operated on the bp6 and it looks great and it feels nice in the hand.  And it cost a third of the Br2. 

The best solution would be for Bryston to allow the use of the Apple remote.  Several audiophile products allow this. 

techguy0192

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jul 2016, 11:55 pm »
I'm sure Curt could make one that works with the bp26 as well.  Reach out to him via that eBay link.

I just received a notification today from him via eBay.  The BP26 version is available. :thumb:

Frobozky

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jul 2016, 07:19 pm »

If you read my post a couple up from yours, you will note that Mr. Fisher (Curt) already made one for me, and that I like it very much. Thanks for pointing out his ebay listing to me.

-Mike

stonedeaf

« Reply #27 on: 31 Jul 2016, 09:16 pm »
Have 2 Harmony 650 remotes that are programed to control my BP-25 - cheap-easy-and if that's what you want- a nice alternative to the hunk o metal four button remote i got with the BP-25. Let's let the engineers at Bryston concentrate on what matters - the "perfect" remote isn't worth the effort -since we all have different ideas what that is ? Probably for identical reasons - a lot like the perfect pocket knife.

Pundamilia

« Reply #28 on: 1 Aug 2016, 03:39 am »
I've got the BP25 remote too - and I love it. I tell all my friends that this is what a remote designed by an engineering company looks like!  :lol:

techguy0192

« Reply #29 on: 1 Aug 2016, 05:23 pm »
Just placed the order for a BP26 remote.  I will post feedback/pics shortly after it arrives. 

techguy0192

« Reply #30 on: 4 Aug 2016, 12:33 am »
I received my BP26 remote today.  Overall, I'm pleased with it.  It works as expected and has a high build quality.  I did not realize how small it was until I had it in had.  However, it does fit nicely in the palm. 

2gumby2

« Reply #31 on: 13 Dec 2017, 05:35 am »
OK, I've been complaining about the dismal bryston remote situation for years.  I hate the BR2 for operating a BP6 or BP26 because it's so bulky and un-ergonomic with all buttons the same size in a completely symmetrical layout.  PLUS, my biggest gripe with the BR2 for these preamps is that I only use 3 buttons, volume up/down and mute.  All other buttons are useless.  Bryston used to make a very nice 3 button remote for these preamps, but stopped making them years ago and they are very difficult to acquire anymore (believe me, I've tried).  So...what to do....well, I finally found a guy that will make a custom aluminum remote for these Bryston preamps.  This remote is small, well made, elegant, and matches the Bryston preamp finish well. Plus it has just 3 buttons!  Pictures below.  Operates my BP6 perfectly.  The guy that makes these is named Curt and also sells other audiophile products he builds.  He is a great guy and great to deal with.  Below is a link to these remotes on ebay for anyone else interested.  (special thanks to BrystonTony for loaning me a BR2 to get the codes in this remote correct!).

I would like to get one of these remotes for my BP26, but the link no longer connects to the manufacturer. Does anyone know how I can get one of these remotes for the BP26?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remote-Control-for-Bryston-BP6-Preamplifier-Brushed-Aluminum-/191920960887?hash=item2caf617577:g:AX4AAOSww9VXhWl5

d3l

« Reply #32 on: 4 Jul 2023, 07:47 am »
Hello,

I know its quite an ancient thread but I would love to have one of these remotes for my BP26. Anyone know if they or similar are still available somewhere?

d3l

« Reply #33 on: 13 Dec 2023, 02:24 pm »
Still looking a for a simple remote for my BP26.

GrooveControl

« Reply #34 on: 13 Dec 2023, 04:47 pm »
If you don't mind plastic, these work very well...

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172296.msg1822106#msg1822106

Chewbacca 319

« Reply #35 on: 13 Dec 2023, 05:41 pm »
If the main issue with injection molded enclosures is that you have to order them in bulk, why doesn't bryston invest in industrial grade 3D printers?

3D printing has come a long way, especially in the last decade. Even high end consumer rigs can create clean prints that with a bit of sanding and treatment look on par with injection molded plastic. Industrial grade printers can offer different filament sizes, different filament types, etc. That way bryston could just build them to order since they would have the machines in house to create them.

Alternatively there are lots of companies where all they have are warehouses full of 3D printers where you mail order prints. You could order as small as one unit or up into the thousands

I feel like this would be a cost effective way to offer a cheaper remote while still not having to worry about massive overhead in stock or investment over working with a injection molded kits.