Will MicroRendu eventually support MQA?

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
Will MicroRendu eventually support MQA?
« on: 9 Jul 2016, 04:28 pm »
Just an interesting thought I had reading about other new products today.  Or is this more specifically directed towards my DAC?

Thanks
Matthew

mrvco

Re: Will MicroRendu eventually support MQA?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2016, 01:33 am »
Just an interesting thought I had reading about other new products today.  Or is this more specifically directed towards my DAC?

Thanks
Matthew

Hopefully MQA permits software unfolding (e.g. In the Tidal client or other streamer / player software) so hi-res MQA playback doesn't limit DAC choices to manufacturers that pay to license and integrate MQA into their hardware.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2016, 02:23 pm »
Maybe MQA is the next DSD, and it may never catch on.  I certainly haven't seen as much hype as I had anticipated.

Mike-48

« Reply #3 on: 22 Aug 2016, 05:23 am »
My understanding is, MQA is only allowed within the DAC. No unencoded digital out is permitted. For that reason Auralic abandoned the idea of doing it in the Aries renderer.

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2016, 07:00 pm »
The microRendu supports MQA because it supports FLAC files. If the DAC is MQA complaint and the file played is MQA encoded the DAC will decode it as needed per the specification.

Mike-48

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2016, 08:29 pm »
Hopefully MQA permits software unfolding (e.g. In the Tidal client or other streamer / player software) so hi-res MQA playback doesn't limit DAC choices to manufacturers that pay to license and integrate MQA into their hardware.

That would be nice, but everything I've read says that MQA is permitted to be decoded only in an MQA-licensed DAC, and that DAC is forbidden from outputting an unencoded (or unencrypted, one might say) digital stream. This limits decoding to MQA-certified DACs. It also prevents any useful DSP (such as JRiver's crossover and EQ functions) from taking place on an MQA-encrypted stream.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
« Reply #6 on: 19 Sep 2016, 06:06 pm »
Update--I have the newish Onkyo dap incoming and it supports mqa both in its DAC to headphone output and as a standalone DAC.  So--I should be ago to stream from the microrendu through sub to the dap.  Does anyone from Sonore want to chime in to comment on whether or not it will work?

vortecjr

• Facilitator
  • the sound has to be in concert with the music....
    • Sonore by Simple Design
« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2016, 06:58 pm »
Update--I have the newish Onkyo dap incoming and it supports mqa both in its DAC to headphone output and as a standalone DAC.  So--I should be ago to stream from the microrendu through sub to the dap.  Does anyone from Sonore want to chime in to comment on whether or not it will work?

I'm not sure how this would work. I looked at the Onkyo DAP and it does not appear to support USB audio input. It appears to support MQA internally as a file player.