RIP: George Martin (Parlaphone and Apple Records) and Keith Emerson (ELP)

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
Heard about George over the weekend.  What a great producer, engineer and musician - Paul McCartney said George was the 5th Beatle, and the one who was the best musician.  He also produced Jeff Beck, Celine Dion, and a host of other artists.  I've been listening to Beck's Blow by Blow for three days - what a truly brilliant piece of work - both by Jeff Beck AND by George Martin.  He will be sorely missed.

BTW, if anyone wants to celebrate George, David Bowie, Keith Emerson and some of the other greats we've lost in 2016, it's time for another listening party.  I've got a fridge left full of good beer from the Super Bowl that I need you guys to come drink up.  I also have a new toy - the Audiokinesis SWARM distributed subwoofer system - you've got to hear this thing to believe it.

daves

That sounds great, Don. What date are you targeting?

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
I'm open to any Saturday or Sunday in April.  When's a good date for the GAS ?

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Ohhh....I like Dons room.   :thumb:

Here's my April schedule... Sunday mornings are Church:
2nd (Saturday) Nope
10th (Sunday) Bob has the entire day to do Bob stuff
16th (Saturday) Daughters soccer thing. Not sure what time
17th (Sunday) Not until mid afternoon
23rd (Saturday) Another soccer thing. Time??
30th (Saturday) Nope

EDIT: I'm not necessarily a fan of any of the folks that happen to pass on in 2016, so I'm not "locked into" just listening to those folks.
Just sayin'  :wink:

youravhandyman

To finish Bob's post, "You had me at beer" :beer:

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
Let's pencil in Sunday, 10 April 2016 from 2 pm until whenever.  I'll provide beer, soda and snacks.  You guys provide the priceless entertainment !
1808 Loehr Estates Ct., Ballwin, MO  63021.  (314) 952-9627.

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
Sounds good to me!  :thumb:

michaelhigh

To finish Bob's post, "You had me at beer" :beer:
You had me at Bowie. Just sayin', he was a genius, if not everyone's cuppa.

Oh, yeah, George Martin once commented that he considered Noel Gallagher "the most significant songwriter of his generation".

He and I both share the same sentiment. Which raises the question, what would have happened if Martin had produced Bowie?  8)

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
Magic Squared !  I'm not sure David Bowie needed a George Martin.....he did pretty well on his own.  I don't have a lot of Bowie, so be sure to bring your favorite cuts !

daves

It would be magic to hear "Putting Out Fire(with Gasoline)" on your system, Don. Liam and I will be there!

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
If I may, I'd like to bring my buddy. I'm trying to poison his mind with audiphileness and this would be just the ticket.

JakeJ

dcbingaman,

You may wish to reconsider posting your home address and phone number on a public forum.  Generally spells disaster when the do-badders get hold of info like that.  Best to use the PM system.

BobRex

It would be magic to hear "Putting Out Fire(with Gasoline)" on your system, Don. Liam and I will be there!

Use the soundtrack version (Cat People), it much more dynamic and stronger overall than the Let's Dance version.

Blackmore

Hey Don, I think I can make it. Got some people visiting during that time, but we'll need a break from each other by then.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
PING: Ken Seger. Are you coming? I've got a couple boxes for you.

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
Use the soundtrack version (Cat People), it much more dynamic and stronger overall than the Let's Dance version.

I've got Let's Dance and Ziggy Stardust on Vinyl.  No Cat People :(. If you bring it, we'll play it.

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
Don and Bob in StL,
I'll be there.  I'll even bring some "cheesy comestibles" if you wish.
Ken

Busekrus

I might make the 10th if that's ok.  Never met anyone of course.
Scott

Busekrus

Anyone interested in Dire Straits Brothers In Arms Original Master Recording or Pink Floyd Endless River or Eurythmics Greatest Hits?   :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator