I did what I told daves I wouldn't do.

michaelhigh

I did what I told daves I wouldn't do.
« on: 12 Feb 2016, 05:25 pm »
Call me impulsive, call me anything, just call me nice names and be sure to call me for lunch!  :green:

I've been in a quandary for a long long time about new vs. vintage 'tables, cart/stylus replacement/upgrades to TT's that aren't worthy, and I major in computer audio to boot, adding misery to indecision.

I don't have Osage Audio coin as much as I'd like. I'd spend if I could, but couldn't (notice I said "couldn't", not can't, meaning I did buy something).

I hit up the discount/clearance rack (virtually of course) at Music Direct for a discontinued music hall mmf-2.2le w/magic 2 cart (don't hit).  :green:

Don't ask for unboxing videos, they just eat up bandwidth I can use to jaw. A smartphone will come some dark day when I bite the bullet. Just use your imagination and go to Google Images for someone else's pics.

My setup took slightly over 30 minutes (and you must know I'm all thumbs, old age eyes, and no EE by any stretch). I zeroed the arm myself (hehe).

I had 14 upgrades lined up before I placed the first record on. What a Nervous Norvus I am.  :duh:

I watched the YouTube guides till I could recite them by rote. The 'table arrived the next day after I ordered, around 9:00 pm (I live in BFE nowadays). Music Direct is on my short list.

What came out was pleasant, on my best-pressed/recorded/preserved/curated vinyl. I was well-chuffed, as they say across the pond. Run-in should prove to be a benefit after 25-50 hours of play (I'm told by geeks who believe in run-in).

Now I'm going to put on Camel Mirage, which is what drove me over the $299 price precipice (say that ten times fast). That record sounded like d*** on my Thorens TD-165, with improvised feet, a $10 nail for a stylus, and an original 70's Pickering that was probably rusty inside from somebody wet-playing records back in the day (wonder who that was). Mirage, on Janus, was very shrill and probably a too-hot press. On the other hand, I Can See Your House From Here (1979 Arista promo featuring Who We Are) plays well, and quiet.

I'll report back after playing them both to compare pressings (to eat up more of that precious bandwidth now that I have y'all's attention).

As of this writing, Emmit Rhodes' S/T debut on Probe import was a winner (I could play that album on a Close-And-Play and rock out).

Brian Protheroe Pinball on Chrysalis, another winner winner chicken dinner (token food reference).

Bee Gees' Odessa (RSO reissue single-LP version) sounded stringy and lush, and Robin was right there.

Barclay James Harvest Octoberon on MCA (1976) needs replacing (VV should have that within my $10 limit). The essence was there, along with some decidedly un-digital pops and crackles. And a repeater skip in Rock And Roll Star. We're binning that item upon replacement.

Next up, Nazareth Close Enough For Rock And Roll on A&M, with their opus Telegram.

If I'm not back soon, I'm at the audiologist after puncturing my cochlear membrane on Camel Mirage.

I'd stick to files if I didn't have all these cool vinyls (don't hit).  :icon_lol: Someday I'll afford new records like Temples Sun Structures and more neo-psych. Files will have to suffice for the time.

michaelhigh

Re: I did what I told daves I wouldn't do.
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2016, 05:34 pm »
Oh yeah, ancillary gear includes Sansui 8080DB and 1991 Klipschorns with Al Klappenberger-upgraded crossover (stock as of that year and the only major stock electrical upgrade since then, I'm told by geeks).

michaelhigh

« Reply #2 on: 12 Feb 2016, 06:03 pm »
Back from my audiologist.  :green:

He said that my Pickering nail/cart combo was a POF, my improvised feet need a podiatrist to straighten them out, and my Thorens, which was $100 used and a bit long in the tooth, needs a refurb by Mister Missile (Missel mis-spell intended).

I do have room in the closet, I know that for sure.  :D

Update on Mirage... plays fine. Lady Fantasy is simply amazing.

I'm going on Kickstarter to fund one of those electrostatic jobbies, if anyone wants to contribute. $4000 should appear within hours.  :thumb: Thank you for your patience and time, and tolerance of my dalliance.

I have time on my hands.  :banana piano:

daves

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2016, 01:46 am »
oH oh, there you go, doing it again! We spent many a night with that album spinning, back in the day.  :thumb:

michaelhigh

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2016, 03:41 am »
oH oh, there you go, doing it again! We spent many a night with that album spinning, back in the day.  :thumb:
Mirage?

daves

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2016, 03:42 am »
You know it Norvus!  :lol:

michaelhigh

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2016, 04:10 am »
You know it Norvus!  :lol:

We didn't call them vinyls back then either, did we?  :lol:

daves

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2016, 08:26 pm »
That would earn anyone a blank stare, and a WTFAYTA?

The only time we talked about vinyl was in association with car roofs.