Poseidon's Voice Narada LP Phonostage

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Poseidon's Voice Narada LP Phonostage
« on: 4 Dec 2015, 04:38 pm »
In late 2013, and early 2014 I embarked on my own tube phono stage build to compete with commercial phono stage designs in the under $10K price point, such as Zesto Andros, etc...

I ended up collaborating with Kevin Carter of K&K Audio and built my own version of his Maxxed Out Phonostage (Revision 5.1):

After living with the above rendition for 6 months, I decided to replace the Mundorf Silver Gold in Oil parafeed output capacitor and VH Audio Copper/Teflon interstage capacitor with Jupiter Flat Stack and Jupiter Copper respectively. Both were quite livable, with the Jupiter combo being a tad more musical and fleshed out without losing too much detail which the VH Audio/Mundorf SGIO combo excelled at:

I will be taking this version to Richidoo's tomorrow for an audition in his system. Hopefully, we'll all enjoy it!

A review from Positive Feedback is here: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue77/kandk.htm

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 4 Dec 2015, 08:57 pm by poseidonsvoice »

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: Poseidon's Voice Narada LP Phonostage
« Reply #1 on: 4 Dec 2015, 05:24 pm »
Awesome!  :thumb:  The wood knobs add a nice touch too. Does not look like an inexpensive project, I bet it sounds amazing.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2015, 05:34 pm »
Hey Anand,
Looks great! Must sound that way too!

Have fun at Richidoo's... Say "hi" for me!

Cheers,
Pete

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 4 Dec 2015, 07:33 pm »
Lovely work as always :thumb:

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2015, 08:24 pm »
Beautiful work. Great parts in there too! I see some amorphous core signal transformers. Someone did some homework for sure. Nice choice using the Jupiter Flat AL coupling caps also. They really pull the smooth yet detailed thing off rather well.

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2015, 02:13 am »
Anand, you never cease to amaze.  I gotta ask, what does the "Pleasure Control" do?

ebag4

« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2015, 02:30 am »
Beautiful build Anand!  :thumb:

Best,
Ed

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2015, 03:58 am »
Anand, you never cease to amaze.  I gotta ask, what does the "Pleasure Control" do?

Good question.

When I originally set out building this unit I dreamt of a day when all I had surrounding me was vinyl, i.e., no digital. So I would have ONLY vinyl as my source.

The Pleasure Control, is a stepped attenuator based on the K&K Audio's stepped attenuator using SMD resistors. It is about as transparent as Khozmo or DACT, etc...but not quite at the level of a Tortuga LDR or the Poseidon's Voice Lazarus preamp that I currently use. This attenuator is directly connected to the output but the resistors have been very carefully chosen such that the output impedance even at the worst is about 1K-1.5K or thereabouts. Without the attenuator in the circuit, the output impedance is a low 250 ohms across the full bandwidth of 20Hz to 20kHz. A set of tiny toggle switches on the Mute/Phase Selector switch is there to turn it on or off. Remote control is provided by the famous Bent metal unit. A great thanks to Kevin Carter for designing the attenuator and John Chapman for supplying the Bent remote circuitry.  Phono stages are very sensitive to noise, so the stock wall wart ps for the remote is completely external, with only DC entering the preamp.

Best,
Anand.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2015, 02:47 pm by poseidonsvoice »

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2015, 04:29 am »
Thanks for the explanation.

Nick B

« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2015, 05:02 am »
Good question.

When I originally set out building this unit I dreamt of a day when all I had surrounding me was vinyl, i.e., no digital. So I would have ONLY vinyl as my source.

The Pleasure Control, is a stepped attenuator based on the K&K Audio's stepped attenuator using SMD resistors. It is about as transparent as Khozmo or DACT, etc...but not quite at the level of a Tortuga LDR or the Poseidon's Voice Lazarus preamp that I currently use. This attenuator is directly connected to the output but the resistors have been very carefully chosen such that the output impedance even at the worst is about 1K-1.5K or thereabouts. Without the attenuator in the circuit, the output impedance is a low 250 ohms across the full bandwidth of 20Hz to 20kHz. A set of tiny toggle switches on the Mute/Phase Selector switch is there to turn it on or off. Remote control is provided by the famous Bent metal unit. A great thanks to Kevin Carter for designing the attenuator and John Chapman for supplying the Bent remote circuitry.  Phono stages are very sensitive to noise, so the stock switcher ps for the remote is completely external, with only DC entering the preamp.

Best,
Anand.

Thanks for posting. I always enjoy seeing your projects. Great stuff

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2015, 03:45 pm »
Great job - I always enjoy seeing such well done projects.

BritneySpears

« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2015, 10:27 am »
Nice one Anand!

richidoo

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2015, 10:00 pm »
I was fortunate to hear this great amp on Saturday. This is a truly magnificent work of art, inside and out. I couldn't hear much difference tonally or dynamically from my excellent Vista Phono-1 preamp, but Anand's preamp lit up the room and was much more spacious and 3 dimensional than the little opamp wonder. Amazing difference. Feeding AR tube system was magical. Playing Anand's audiophile pressings through all tube system was a great experience.
Thanks!!
Rich

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #13 on: 7 Dec 2015, 10:05 pm »
I was fortunate to hear this great amp on Saturday. This is a truly magnificent work of art, inside and out. I couldn't hear much difference tonally or dynamically from my excellent Vista Phono-1 preamp, but Anand's preamp lit up the room and was much more spacious and 3 dimensional than the little opamp wonder. Amazing difference. Feeding AR tube system was magical. Playing Anand's audiophile pressings through all tube system was a great experience.
Thanks!!
Rich

Thanks. I thought your whole system took a giant step forward when we inserted the TAPX as well  :green:

I think I need to build an unbalanced version for you just using the autoformers and manual volume control...gotta start bugging Dave Slagle...a chassis design would be stupid easy in all honesty, or even a nice wood version (which you could easily do given your skills!) :thumb:

Seriously...think about it!

Or maybe a Tortuga unit!! :thumb: :green:

Best,
Anand.

richidoo

« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2015, 12:53 am »
I agree, the TAPX brought more openness and tonal clarity over the tube preamp. I'm open to trying it, but I worry that it would be too much detail for me. It was a shock to hear that sweetness. When tonal texture gets too strong I can't focus on the music, I guess I'm too sensitive to tone. Maybe I can develop my listening skill and take a little more schnapps in my coffee. ;)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 8 Dec 2015, 01:01 am »
I agree, the TAPX brought more openness and tonal clarity over the tube preamp. I'm open to trying it, but I worry that it would be too much detail for me. It was a shock to hear that sweetness. When tonal texture gets too strong I can't focus on the music, I guess I'm too sensitive to tone. Maybe I can develop my listening skill and take a little more schnapps in my coffee. ;)
Then try the Tortuga.  It IMO offers the detail without the extreme clarity of the TAP.  It's hard to explain (for me) so you need to hear it. 

Folsom

« Reply #16 on: 8 Dec 2015, 01:08 am »
Extreme, like exaggerated?

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #17 on: 8 Dec 2015, 01:51 am »
Extreme, like exaggerated?

No. Extreme, like it's just not fucking there! The measurements on the TAPX done by Galusha and others show this very nicely (linked on my Lazarus thread on the Bent circle). The Tortuga for me was nearly indistinguishable which is quite the feat. I could totally be happy with it as well.

A lot of preamps 'exaggerate' or 'tame' because of lesser quality sources IMHO. The TAPX is not in that company. And there is no PS for the TAPX, it's truly passive. The supplied walwart is for remote capability and is NOT for the signal path.

Best,
Anand.

Nick77

« Reply #18 on: 8 Dec 2015, 11:00 am »
Anand, nice work! How did the change in caps affect sonics?

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #19 on: 8 Dec 2015, 11:42 am »
Anand, nice work! How did the change in caps affect sonics?

From my 1st post:

After living with the above rendition for 6 months, I decided to replace the Mundorf Silver Gold in Oil parafeed output capacitor and VH Audio Copper/Teflon interstage capacitor with Jupiter Flat Stack and Jupiter Copper respectively. Both were quite livable, with the Jupiter combo being a tad more musical and fleshed out without losing too much detail which the VH Audio/Mundorf SGIO combo excelled at:

Best,

Anand.