phono stage help

Mr Peabody

phono stage help
« on: 4 Nov 2015, 05:28 am »
I'm currently using an AcousTech Ph-1 Premier phono stage with my Clearaudio Performance DC & Maestro cart.  The rig sounds good but the Ph-1 is really the only higher quality phono stage I've used.  I'm wondering if I could get a quieter background and faster transients from another preamp without breaking the bank.  The Ph-1 is basically a Sutherland if anyone isn't familiar.  I've heard Sutherland can be some laid back.  I can't tell it but as I said never had the chance to compare.  The Ph-1 was the rage when it was current.

Anyone interested in bringing something over for me to listen to?

I could probably audition the Nova 2 or a new Octave Audio piece, EQ2.  Any thoughts on if they'd best what I'm using in any way?  The EQ2 is supposed to be really good, the proof is in hearing but for now it's small and uses a wall wart for cost of nearly 2k.  I was also looking at the Graham Slee Era Gold 2 MM only, any thoughts or experience here?

Thanks

electricbear

Re: phono stage help
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2015, 08:03 pm »
I like the Ayre P-5xe. I use one here at the store and it works well with everything from entry level Ortofons right up to Lyra Etnas. Resolves detail nicely, great soundstaging and low noise floor. A little pricey at $3250 but well worth it.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2015, 12:34 am »
Another thing about turntables, there seems to be no consensus  on matching table to cart to pnono stage regarding price or performance level.  My cart is about  $1200 & the table $3k retail so if I were to spend $3k on a phono stage is that about right or overkill or should the price be more in line with cart and a $1200.00 Nova 2 would be good enough to pass all the quality of my rig?

I see some people putting Lyra's on Rega 3, and many seem to have nice rigs but use what I'd consider more entry level phono stages.  I feel I have a good handle on system component matching but with analog things seem to be all over the road.  This drives some one like me crazy who tends to be more of an analytical thinker :) 

jtsnead

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2015, 05:31 pm »
LKV Phono 2-SB also 3k, awesome sound, design and execution

http://www.lkvresearch.com/lkv-phono-2-sb.html

sturgus

« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2015, 03:19 am »
I have a Slee Era gold V if you want to try one day.

Mr Peabody

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2015, 04:03 am »
That would be great.  How did you like it?