ZenWave Power Tour: SurgeX and PL Power Cables

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
ZenWave Power Tour: SurgeX and PL Power Cables
« on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:04 pm »
Hello Audiocircle Members!

I am kicking off the release of ZenWave modified SurgeX power distribution systems with a tour of the SurgeX SX1120 along with ZenWave PL power cables. Here's what's included in the tour:

- ZenWave Modified SurgeX SX 1120 with Furutech GTX(R) receptacles and FI-33(R) IEC Inlet. This SurgeX also features all the standard mods including new/upgraded caps, upgraded internal wiring and connectors.

- ZenWave PL11 Power Cable with 20 amp IEC to go from the wall to the SurgeX

- ZenWave PL11 Power Cable with Furutech FI-50 AC plug and IEC plug. This cable can be used on anything, including amplifiers.

- ZenWave PL14 Power Cable with Neotech UPOCC copper plugs. This cable can be used on any source or preamp and can be compared to the cable with Furutech FI-50 plugs on sources or preamps so you can hear the differences the FI-50 AC plugs make. The gauge of the cable does not make an audible difference on anything but amplifiers.

The tour is open to all AC members, if you have under 100 posts or are here for less than a couple years I may ask for a fully refundable paypal deposit. If you have a lot of posts and have been here for a long time no deposit will be required. This will operate like a standard tour: you will have a week, 2 at the most, to try out the gear in your system, then you will ship to the next person in the tour at your expense. Shipping to the next person will be the only financial obligation, the box will be about 20 lbs and will need to be insured for $3500, which is less than the contents are worth but will cost a bit less than paying for full insurance. Then, it would be great if you can post your impression of the SurgeX and PL power cables in this thread.

This thread is also a great place to post your impressions if you currently own or demo'd the SurgeX or PL power cables in the past.

Here's what you can expect: The SurgeX will isolate your system from surges originating both inside and outside your home, most surges come from inside the home due to electric motors being switched on and off. Lightning within several miles of your home also cause surges. If you have whole-house surge protection the SurgeX is still a good idea to isolate your equipment from surges inside your home, as well as to filter noise as a result of using MOV based whole-house suppressors. The SurgeX does NOT use MOVs and does NOT dump surge energy to ground.

The SurgeX will provide a lower noise floor and a more relaxed presentation, removing harshness and distortion from emi/rfi contamination of the incoming AC power. It provides inrush current limiting so amp turn-on will not flip the breaker or stress your gear. It will shut down your system in the even of over/under voltage conditions. The combination of features is comprehensive and unique in the hifi market.

The SurgeX has been tested in about 20 systems so far with VERY consistent results... it ALWAYS makes an improvement, but the degree of improvement is determined by the quality of your incoming AC power as well as the particular components making up your system. It was used in the Von Schweikert room at the last RMAF, which contributed to a TAS award for best sound. The PL power cables (along with some of my other cables) will be used in a $800k system in the upcoming Munich HiFi show. The SurgeX and PL power cables are not just a good value for the money, they are some of the highest performing pieces of gear you can get at any price.

The PL power cables have been a great success and have not lost a comparison with other power cables... ever (knock on wood! :)). The combination of the Furutech FI-50 plugs with my custom UPOCC copper litz wire results in less noise, more focus and a very neutral, detailed sound. If you have not tried excellent power cables before this will be a revelation! :)

Please post here or send me a PM if you want to be included on the tour. Here's a pic of the tour package:

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Re: ZenWave Power Tour: SurgeX and PL Power Cables
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:09 pm »
ZenWave Audio LLC refurbished  and modified SurgeX SX1120-RT Power Distibution System

Basic Level SX1120-RT

Includes one SurgeX SX1120-RT that has been used and refurbished using new and upgraded electrolytic capacitors from Panasonic and Nichicon. Used units are in good shape but may have minor scratches. A new front panel or re-finishing the entire chassis is optional.

Stock receptacles replaced by 3 (three) Furutech FPX(Cu) duplex receptacles, 1 stock receptacle will be reused. This gives you 6 outlets to plug into with upgraded receptacles and two stock outlets for non-critical applications. Furutech receptacles are mounted more securely vs stock using 3 fasteners per receptacle instead of one.

IEC inlet replaces remote function, standard IEC inlet is a 20 amp Schurter unit.

Internal wire connectors replaced by Furutech FT-210(G), about 16 of these are used!

Internal wire (tinned copper with pvc insulation) is replaced with silver plated copper with teflon insulation.

Footers: Sorbothane hemishperes are provided, experimentation with footers is encouraged as they make a substantial difference.

Power cable is a standard 12 gauge cable with a Schurter 20 amp IEC plug and Furutech FI-15(R) AC plug.

UPGRADES:

Receptacles: Additional FPX(Cu) receptacles are available for $70 each, adding 1 more is possible. You may also substitute a GTX(R) duplex receptacle for a FPX for $150 each, after 3 are substituted additional GTX receptacles are $220 each.

IEC inlet: Shurter may be replaced by Furutech FI-33(R) for $110.

Power Cable: Standard 12g cable may be replaced with ZenWave PL11 with Furutech FI-28 and FI-31 AC and IEC plugs for $800.

ZenWave PL11 Power Cable may be upgraded to Furutech FI-50M(R) and FI-52(R) AC and IEC plugs for an additional $325.

Front panel replaced by custom machined panel with no rack-mount ears, color/finish may be specified. I can make your SurgeX match your other components! Price is $75

Chassis (minus front panel) may be re-finished as well, price upon request

PRICE:  Basic Level SurgeX SX1120 as described above is $950. This is close to the same price as a stock unit.

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2015, 07:15 pm »
Awesome work, Dave! I'm sure these will prove to be a fantastic addition to your product line. I know you put a lot of time, energy, and resources into them with GREAT attention to detail.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2015, 08:21 pm »
Me! Me! Me!  :bowdown:   <==== [Ignore that phoolish cad!]

Dave,

Seeing as I'm going to audition your RCA ICs and PC anyway, could I be included in this tour? Zip 97330  :thumb:

Michael
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2015, 09:44 pm by mresseguie »

mdfoy

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2015, 09:11 pm »
Dave,

I would like to included in the tour

Mike

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2015, 09:15 pm »
Me! Me! Me!  :bowdown:

Dave,

Seeing as I'm going to audition your RCA ICs and PC anyway, could I be included in this tour? Zip 97330  :thumb:

Michael

Hi Michael, sure... I think we can arrange that.  :D   I'm getting some demo cables ready for you now and we can plan on getting the SurgeX to you at the appropriate time. Should I shoot for April 15th?

Dave,

I would like to included in the tour

Mike

Sounds great, Mike. I look forward to hearing your impressions!  :)

Awesome work, Dave! I'm sure these will prove to be a fantastic addition to your product line. I know you put a lot of time, energy, and resources into them with GREAT attention to detail.

Thanks Ryan! I hope you'll be making it to Denver soon!  :thumb:

Chris Adams

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2015, 09:21 pm »
Dave! Love to be on the tour. :green:

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2015, 09:54 pm »
"Hi Michael, sure... I think we can arrange that.  :D   I'm getting some demo cables ready for you now and we can plan on getting the SurgeX to you at the appropriate time. Should I shoot for April 15th?"

Dave,

Aldcoll's (where is he when he's needed?....probably listening to music again) GTG is looking like it'll be held on April 12th now. Can you get the cables to me by the 10th or 11th? [The 15th will work for me, of course. Aldoll will just have to drive the 15 miles to my house.  :wink: ]

Michael

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2015, 10:20 pm »
Yes I felt a burn or twinge there while I was in the car :scratch: :scratch:

I guess I will pipe in:  I would love to be associated with mresseguie on the west coast swing.  I am looking at cables.  We are working on a April 12th get toghter  with four impartial jurors of a day of cable tests.  I need to look at the options for my new ModWright KWA 150 SE :thumb:

I think we can make something work out. :thumb: :thumb:

I

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2015, 11:33 pm »
Michael and aldcoll, I think what I'll do is send the Power Tour package together with the demo IC cables, then you can send the IC cables back to me and send the Power Tour on it's way.

Right now, rob303 has the Power Tour package. He works 5 minutes from my place so shipping times are pretty quick ;)   I'll get the package back on Friday and send it + the IC cables to Michael. which should get there before the 12th with some time to spare.

After that we have ZLS, mdfoy, Chris Adams and jriggy.

« Last Edit: 1 Apr 2015, 03:36 pm by DaveC113 »

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2015, 12:12 am »
The clouds have parted and the rain has stopped.  The Sun is Out!!!  But I will stay inside and jam to the music :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thank you for the chance to hear your cables.

jriggy

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2015, 02:30 pm »
Wouldn't mind jumpin' in on this at some point... no hurry for me. PM'd ya Dave.

Thanks for this offer!

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2015, 03:36 pm »
Wouldn't mind jumpin' in on this at some point... no hurry for me. PM'd ya Dave.

Thanks for this offer!

Sounds good, you are added!  :)

maxima95

« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2015, 02:26 am »
Dave kindly let me listen to a variety of items.  This post addresses two versions of the
SurgeX SX-1120 RT Surge Eliminatior and Power Conditioner.

Version 1) w/“Basic Level” Modifications: 

New and upgraded electrolytic capacitors from Panasonic and Nichicon;
3 Furutech FPX(Cu) duplex recepticles; 20 amp Schurter IEC;  Furutech FT-210(G) internal wire connectors;  Silver plated copper/teflon internal wire; Sorbothane hemishpere footers;
Standard 12 ga. power cable with a Furutech FI-15(R) plug and Schurter 20 amp IEC. 

NOTE: I did not use the above PC.

This unit sounded organic and dimensional, and lacked any “whitish” character or embellishment to the upper frequencies.  It was detailed and transparent, dynamic and free-flowing, with a large, identifiable acoustic venue.  A lot for the money.  I was ready to close the deal on it – until I listened to the version with further upgrades. 

Version 2) w/Upgrades to the “Basic Level” Modifications:

3 Furutech GTX(R) duplex receptacles;  Furutech FI-33(R) 20 amp IEC inlet;  PL11 A/C cable with Furutech FI-28 (R) and FI-31 (G) 20 Amp IEC.

NOTE: Since I did not try the above PL-11 until much later in the process, I will comment on it another time.

The best way to describe the sound of this unit is to refer to the narrative for the “Basic Level” Modifications, and add the word “more” to each segment. Further, it seemed a bit smoother, with more extension, clarity and ease at the frequency extremes.  Things took a step closer to “real.”  Though I bought this unit, I would have been content with the other one.

(Transport) April Music Stello CDT 100 (DAC) Teac UD-501 (Preamp) BAT VK-3i
(Power Amp) Llano Trinity 200 Hybrid (Speakers) Gamut Phi 7 
(Cables): (Speaker) Morrow Audio; (Analog-RCA) Artisan Audio Ultimate Dream
(Analog-XLR) Grover Huffman SX (Digital RCA) Darwin Silver Digital 
(Power Cords) Triode Wire Labs; Lessloss Original; Wireworld Silver Electra 7; Zenwave PL-11; Furutech Alpha 3/Neotech Rhodium (Power Conditioner)  Shunyata Hydra 6 (Older Version)  (Accessory) Voodoo 15 to 20 amp AC adapter

ACHiPo

« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2015, 12:58 pm »
I'd be interested in joining the tour as well, but it would probably be best if I waited until I got my room rearranged, which won't happen for a few weeks, so take your time gents and keep the updates coming!

DaveC113

• Facilitator
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2015, 05:19 pm »
I'd be interested in joining the tour as well, but it would probably be best if I waited until I got my room rearranged, which won't happen for a few weeks, so take your time gents and keep the updates coming!

Sounds good!  :thumb:  I PM'ed you about details...

beowulf

« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2015, 08:56 pm »
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply been on a family vacation for spring break driving up and down the California Coast.  I was lucky enough to try out the SurgeX and PL Power Cables from Dave (I may have been one of the first on the list).

I don't know a lot of audiophile types of terms but here are a few thoughts that I wrote Dave about after having it for about a week or a little over that:

Hi Dave, wow I am continuing to be more impressed with this component. I align myself with those people who "think" their system sounds better at night than during the day ... sometimes I think it may be due to just more ambient noise in general, but its pretty quiet around my house during the day especially when the kids are in school.

Today is probably one of the best daytime listening sessions that I have had. To top it off all my kids are home on school holiday, all in their bedrooms gaming on the computers and chatting away with their friends online and with all that going on my dishwasher is running in the other room as well. I had to stop and say WTF, how does this sound so good with all this other stuff going on?

Since the SurgeX and the ZenWave Power Cables are the only change within my system I can only attribute it to providing really clean power and power "bandwidth" in my system (would "bandwidth" even be a correct term for getting enough juice to all the components within a chain?).

Anyways, what I would want to say is that it seems as if I'm just getting more power to everything and it has definitely perked up my system, but made it quieter at the same time and I'm experiencing a level of refinement that I haven't noticed before if that makes any sense?

My baseline for these listening test was a Monster HTS3600 Power Center and my thoughts are that having the ZenWave SurgeX and Power Cables in my system has given me more of everything that I would consider important while listening ... more quieter/blacker backgrounds, more power getting to my components, more micro details in my listening sessions.  It has cleaned and perked up my entire system including my HDTV.  The changes were subtle (but noticeable) at first, but after having it run in my system for a couple days everything became more apparent that this was an intricate piece in the audio chain.

I see this as a winner and important piece of the gear in the ZenWave lineup.

beowulf

« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2015, 09:21 pm »
Oops pics ... everybody likes pics right? :lol:

So what does this last pic have to do with listening?  Everything! :lol:

Chris Adams

« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2015, 09:35 pm »
Great pics but the last one says it best!  :thumb:

ACHiPo

« Reply #19 on: 11 Apr 2015, 03:13 pm »