Ottavo!!

redskinsfan

Re: Ottavo!!
« Reply #20 on: 25 Mar 2015, 06:10 am »
Hi Rick,

Does the OEM company that produces the woofers for the Ottavo also market a 10'' version?

maxboy00

« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2015, 11:08 am »
Hi Rick,

Does the OEM company that produces the woofers for the Ottavo also market a 10'' version?
[/quote

This would be very interesting Ottavo configuration! Lets hope it can be done.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #22 on: 25 Mar 2015, 04:18 pm »
Hi Rick,

What do you have in mind? Your current speakers?

ar250

« Reply #23 on: 25 Mar 2015, 08:47 pm »
Is it possible to build the ottavo with one 10 inich driver as a standmount like the Eve SC3010 studio monitors ? thanks.

redskinsfan

« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2015, 12:45 am »
''What do you have in mind? Your current speakers?''

Rick, actually I was looking down the road to a future 5.0 home theater/multichannel audio build, and was thinking along the lines of a modded RC5 platform with 5'' illuminators and Raal tweet as the MTM portion, and dual 10'' woofers from the same family as the Ottavo 8'' as fronts, Ottavos  as currently configured but switching out the Accuton 5'' mid with  a 5'' illuminator as surrounds, and a center channel using those same drivers, but in a cabinet with dimensions as close to the Magnifico as possible (due to space constraints in the rack below the TV). I know you don't see too many centers with dual 8'' drivers, but I like the idea of a center and surrounds with matching drivers. I just don't want to deal with subs, and I know this setup wouldn't require one, but it hinges on whether the company that makes the 8'' woofers in the Ottavo also have a 10'' model to accomplish a voice-matched 5.0 speaker array, and of course, whether the drivers and speaker cabinets as specified would work well in combination.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #25 on: 26 Mar 2015, 02:30 am »
Is it possible to build the ottavo with one 10 inich driver as a standmount like the Eve SC3010 studio monitors ? thanks.

Yes we could do a custom design in that format.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #26 on: 26 Mar 2015, 02:00 pm »
''What do you have in mind? Your current speakers?''

Rick, actually I was looking down the road to a future 5.0 home theater/multichannel audio build, and was thinking along the lines of a modded RC5 platform with 5'' illuminators and Raal tweet as the MTM portion, and dual 10'' woofers from the same family as the Ottavo 8'' as fronts, Ottavos  as currently configured but switching out the Accuton 5'' mid with  a 5'' illuminator as surrounds, and a center channel using those same drivers, but in a cabinet with dimensions as close to the Magnifico as possible (due to space constraints in the rack below the TV). I know you don't see too many centers with dual 8'' drivers, but I like the idea of a center and surrounds with matching drivers. I just don't want to deal with subs, and I know this setup wouldn't require one, but it hinges on whether the company that makes the 8'' woofers in the Ottavo also have a 10'' model to accomplish a voice-matched 5.0 speaker array, and of course, whether the drivers and speaker cabinets as specified would work well in combination.

Thanks for the additional information. The 5" Illuminator would work well with a 10" woofer and it is possible to match the whole system.

ar250

« Reply #27 on: 26 Mar 2015, 03:01 pm »
Yes we could do a custom design in that format.

Any cost in completed form or kit form for this build if available ? thank you.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #28 on: 26 Mar 2015, 03:59 pm »
Any cost in completed form or kit form for this build if available ? thank you.

It really depends on what your objectives are for bass extension and sensitivity.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2015, 10:14 pm by Rick Craig »

ar250

« Reply #29 on: 26 Mar 2015, 05:58 pm »
I really depends on what your objectives are for bass extension and sensitivity.

possibly 35hz and 85db sensivity or more?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #30 on: 26 Mar 2015, 10:17 pm »
possibly 35hz and 85db sensivity or more?

To keep the cabinet size realistic it would need to be a sealed box with active equalization. 85db or greater sensitivity is possible with the right woofer.

redskinsfan

« Reply #31 on: 27 Mar 2015, 04:20 am »
Thanks for the additional information. The 5" Illuminator would work well with a 10" woofer and it is possible to match the whole system.

Thanks, Rick. My prayer is that you will remain healthy and stay in business long enough so that one day soon you'll answer the phone and it will be me on the other end, asking you to build these speakers for me. In the words of another fine gentleman, ''live long and prosper.''  :)

maxboy00

« Reply #32 on: 1 Apr 2015, 04:49 pm »
Well if the Ottavo were to be built with 10" woofers, would it be able to extend down to the mid 20Hz range with full clean weighted bass? Or is there another Selah model that can achieve this without reinventing the wheel....Thanks!

ricardojoa

« Reply #33 on: 1 Apr 2015, 11:48 pm »
personally I think one would find it hard to distinguished anything below 25. If you like to go that low, an alternative power subs in a two way is a good option.

redskinsfan

« Reply #34 on: 2 Apr 2015, 12:31 am »
Well if the Ottavo were to be built with 10" woofers, would it be able to extend down to the mid 20Hz range with full clean weighted bass? Or is there another Selah model that can achieve this without reinventing the wheel....Thanks!

My question to Rick was in regard to the company that markets the Ottavo 8'' woofer and whether they also made a 10''version of the woofer that could be used in lieu of the 10'' AuraSound woofers in one of Rick's remarkable legacy designs, the RC5--imagine an Ottavo on steroids.  :D

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #35 on: 2 Apr 2015, 09:26 pm »

Yes, it's possible to do that with dual 10" drivers. When selecting the 8" woofers for the Ottavo I looked at a few alternatives. One was a woofer that another speaker company was using and the numbers on it look good; however, further testing revealed some real limitations. I chose better sensitivity and bass quality / clarity over having a lower -3db point.

maxboy00

« Reply #36 on: 4 Apr 2015, 01:03 am »
Thanks Rick on the clarification. I'm sure the Ottavo would perform very well in my space and exceed my expectations . . . the jury is still out on subs tho.

AvFan

« Reply #37 on: 4 Apr 2015, 07:48 pm »
I've had my Ottavos for several months I don't feel a need to add a subwoofer to a stereo setup.  If the bass is present these speakers reproduce it very well.  I have experimented with adding a sub for music that simply does not have much bass to begin with and found improvement in the overall sound.  However, this was only when playing certain bass-shy vinyl records and I never engaged the sub with any CD, high resolution digital file, and the vast majority of records.  The hassle of the sub isn't worth it for the very rare occasion I play a record where the bass isn't part of the mix.  That is just how the record was mastered.

maxboy00

« Reply #38 on: 6 Apr 2015, 11:21 am »
Sorry I wasn't implying that the Ottavo needed sub-woofer's, the comment was in reference to some emails that Rick and I exchanged in reference to adding subs to my two pairs of  Selah's speakers. . .  since I have moved into a larger dedicated space.

I am not a fan of subs in two channel systems, and Rick advised that I would be well served by adding subs, I have borrowed a NHT 10' sub, and altho its okay, I'm not thrilled with it. . . so that's was why I said the jury is still out on using sub's. I  may get a pair of Ottavo's but now is not the time so I am trying different things to hold me over. I have no complaints with my existing Selah's and would be elated to have the Ottavo front and center!

AvFan

« Reply #39 on: 31 Jan 2018, 03:55 am »
It amazes me that I have been enjoying my Ottavo for more than three years now.   I play records most of the time and I've been upgrading turntables, cartridges and phono preamps, even my preamp and amp, but the constant have been these amazing speakers.  In an effort to fine tune my system I have gotten as precise as possible with speaker placement that my living room will allow and I have a UMIK-1 and REW in the wings that I hope will allow me to understand how my listening environment behaves.  I'll then make changes that improve the linearity of the speaker/room with a miniDSP 2x4HD. 

But every once in a while, well pretty often really, I get a dope slap on something pretty basic.  I slouch in my listening chair so that my ears are probably around 30" to 32" off the floor.  The center of the Ottavo's mid-range and tweeter are 34" and 39" respectively off the floor with the mid-point at 37".  I sit about 8 feet from each speaker just beyond the top of an equilateral triangle.  So I sat at different heights and above the tweeter provided more detail and it seemed to me that there was less tweeter the lower my ears.  I have a pair of Rick's MTMs and the listening height needs to be at the center of the tweeter but what about the Ottavo?  Is there an optimal listening height based upon the crossover design?  Is it between the tweeter and mid-range?  I think I'm going to be looking for a new chair!