Classics and Poker

Scott F.

Classics and Poker
« on: 9 May 2004, 12:41 pm »
Hi Again,

Bob (bosterkisco) and I have been talking about getting together and doing a Classics and Poker gathering. What it's about is getting together, playing penney anti poker and listening to KSHE classics.

The KSHE classics we choose aren't going to be the typical Bob Seeger/Bruce Springstein classic rock. We're going to dip back into the really obscure stuff that played during the early days of KSHE before they became commercialized. Back from the days that the only advertizers they could scounge up were head shops and concert promoters.

Between Bob and myself, we've probably got everything you could think of to listen to. Here we're talking about groups like Trapeze, Head Hands and Feet, Gladstone, Captain Beyond, Tucky Buzzard, Camel, Dust, Yesterday and Today, Painter, JoJo Gunne, Mahogany Rush, Illinois Speed Press, Quicksilver Messenger Service and the list goes on and on. 98% of this will be on vinyl. Basically, it's all the stuff that KSHE has abaondoned in favor of 'format' radio.

Now this isn't going to be a gear audition. This is strictly a few guys getting together eating pizza, drinking a few brews, smoking stogies, playing poker and just listening to music that has long been forgotten by our local radio stations. Should be loads of fun if not nostalgic.

We need at least two more guys to make an even four. If we get more takers we can open up another table. If you feel like sitting out or coming and not playing, you can always be the DJ.

We'd like to make this a regular affair. Maybe monthly to be held outside of our listening sessions. We should rotate venues. Anybody that wants to host should have a a good vinyl rig (I think everybody qualifies for that one).

Bob suggested since this is the inaugural Classics and Poker, that I should kick it off. We thought a Saturday late afternoon start would be good. I'm good for May 22nd, May 29th (Memorial Day weekend) and June 12th and 19th.

Anybody else interested in sitting in?

DeadFish

Classics and Poker
« Reply #1 on: 9 May 2004, 01:33 pm »
Count me in, Scott.

Sounds absolutely deliscious.
I might even have a few obscura meself.

Just don't make me lug them speakers...

DF

vpolineni

Classics and Poker
« Reply #2 on: 9 May 2004, 03:02 pm »
i'm in for the may dates.... what type of poker do you play?  texas hold'em?

Scott F.

Classics and Poker
« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2004, 04:58 pm »
.... what type of poker do you play?

Just about anything that doesn't involve wild cards.

Thats four, the table can seat six and I've got another folding table. Any more takers?

electricbear

Classics and Poker
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2004, 05:24 pm »
I don't play poker but I've got some great kshe classics. Lots of camel, isao tomita. kraftwerk, tangerinedream , king crimson, jean michelle jarre . You're more than welcome to borrow a couple of dozen or so

Mike D

Classics and Poker
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2004, 07:15 pm »
I'm tentatively in.  

My brother came over and took some digital pictures of my stereo.  How do I post them?  They will probably be emailed to me tonight or tomorrow.

pjchappy

Classics and Poker
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2004, 09:02 pm »
I need to get together w/ you guys soon.  I was in STL from Thursday night to Saturday morning.  I had an interview in Belleville on Friday.  It went VERY well, so maybe I'll be moving to STL in the next few weeks.  HOPEFULLY!

Anyways, penny ante poker. . .yuck!   :lol:   Texas Hold'em w/ at least a $20 buy in is my kind of game.   :wink:

p

steve k

Classics and Poker
« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2004, 11:24 pm »
I'm with Electricbear. I don't play poker but I'll volunteer a few oldies: Rare Bird, Blue Cheer, James Gang, Spooky Tooth, Alice Cooper, ZZ Top, THe Nice, Jeff Beck, Crow to name a few. Let me know if you're interested. Farm out!
steve

Scott F.

Classics and Poker
« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2004, 03:49 am »
OK,

Sounds like we've got enough players for a game. How about we do it Sat May 22nd (we can use the 29th as an alternate). We can start at about 4:00. We'll order pizza at about 6:00 and play until whenever we feel like stopping.

I just pulled all of my 'classics' out and stuck them in the record cabinet just inside the door on the left. They take up the best part of those two shelves. I had grand hopes of cleaning all of them before we got together but after I sifted through all of my vinyl, there ain't no way. Most of them are in pretty good shape but we might spin a noisey one or two. No biggy.

I didn't pull any 'big name' artists. These are all relatively obscure but well known songs/groups. The kind that will have you saying 'who?' then after we spin it you'll say 'oh, thats who does that song' (ie; Steve Baron doing Magic Magician or the Poucette Dart Band doing  Amnesia).

So post and let me know which day is best for you guys, the 22nd or 29th.

Bring your favorite beer. If you want to dip into my bar, you are more than welcome to. I've got setups (coke, 7up) except for any fru-fru stuff. Cigars are more than welcome, my humidor is always active.

Steve and Tim, even though you don't play, wanna play DJ? Even if you don't want to DJ, you are more than welcome to come out and just listen. The sweat spot is going to be vacant.

Oh, I've got turntables on both systems plus I finished my corner subs on the high wattge tubed system. They are 6.5cf, built using the house's concrete foundation as two of the three sides. I stuffed the Shivas into the baffle and am biamping the system (active XO) with my big Spectro Acoustics amp. You can get really stupid with this system.

Bostekrisco

Classics and Poker
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2004, 02:57 pm »
Scott:

It looks like I got a hall pass for the 22nd. Do you want me to bring anything? Also, I could be there a little earlier if you need help with setup,etc. Do we have a corfirmed table full yet?

Scott F.

Classics and Poker
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2004, 03:34 pm »
Quote from: Bostekrisco
It looks like I got a hall pass for the 22nd. Do you want me to bring anything? Also, I could be there a little earlier if you need help with setup,etc. Do we have a corfirmed table full yet?

So the 22nd it is.

By the looks of it it's you, Deadfish, Mike D, Vasu, me and maybe PJ. About the only thing I think that you may need to bring is your favorite beverage (beer). Of course my bar (hard liquor) is open and you guys are welcome tap into it.

Anybody out there that just wants to come hang out and not play, you are more than welcome to join us.

Bob, if you want to show up early, that would be great.

Mike D

Classics and Poker
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2004, 06:51 pm »
Correction:

I will not be able to come due to a trip to Champaign being postponed to next weekend.

sorry :cry:

pjchappy

Classics and Poker
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2004, 08:16 pm »
What time in the day. . .

I may actually be able to make this one if it starts early enough.  I will know by the middle of this week and will let you all know.  It would be nice to finally meet up w/ you guys.

p

Blackmore

Classics and poker
« Reply #13 on: 15 May 2004, 02:03 pm »
Scott:

I'd like to stop by and listen.  I'm no poker player (no poker face0 but I'd love to hear the KSHE classics through your system.

Scott F.

Re: Classics and poker
« Reply #14 on: 15 May 2004, 08:17 pm »
Quote from: Blackmore
I'd like to stop by and listen.  I'm no poker player (no poker face0 but I'd love to hear the KSHE classics through your system.

You are more than welcome to come out and join us. Should be a good time.

Let's start about 4:00. That will give everybody a bit of time to run through all of the music on hand and then we can come up with a play list for the evening. I've got a list of all the classics in Excel format. Maybe I can get that out to everybody before you all show up.

vpolineni

Classics and Poker
« Reply #15 on: 15 May 2004, 08:46 pm »
scott, unfortunately i won't be able to make it to the next meeting.. i just found out I have to go to chicago next saturday... do we have a set date for the next gas meeting?