HAL's thread for the MS-2 PC Music Server

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: HAL's ideas thread for the MS-2 PC Music Server
« Reply #40 on: 7 Jan 2013, 10:42 pm »
Any way for the MS-2 to recognize an HFS+ (a/ka Mac) formatted drive?

Shawn
Maybe HAL can build a Hackintosh version!

HAL

« Reply #41 on: 7 Jan 2013, 11:03 pm »
There are programs that will let Windows recognise an HFS+ formatted drive.  If it is music storage it might work.

http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/02/access-mac-os-x-partition-from-windows.html

I will not be testing the programs with Windows 8 as I do not have Apple products.

Jason, that would be a big no to building a Hackintosh!  :D

HAL

« Reply #42 on: 9 Jan 2013, 01:26 am »
MS-2 #2 on the way to the UK!  :)

HAL

« Reply #43 on: 28 Jan 2013, 10:17 pm »
Unit #1is is up and running in it's new home.  Looking forward to comments

Unit #2 is in the UK.  Waiting on feedback. 

HAL

« Reply #44 on: 2 Feb 2013, 02:01 am »
Production MS-2 #3 is on it's way to trials in lots of places.  Looking forward to feedback! 

Unit #4 is inbound to build.   

Phil A

« Reply #45 on: 2 Feb 2013, 05:13 am »

Unit #4 is inbound to build.

And the Meitner MA-1 is looking forward to meeting it. 8)

HAL

« Reply #46 on: 18 Feb 2013, 03:52 pm »
Did some experiments with my Nook Color as an Android Tablet.  Was able to use it dual boot and load Android OS.  Have the Google Play store installed and the newest version of Foobar2000 Controller.  Allows random access to the entire music collection with Foobar2000 via WiFi. 

You can also install the Nook App for Android and still read books as well.

This also works well from my Droid X2 phone running the Foobar2000 Controller. 

saisunil

« Reply #47 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:21 am »
Wanted to thank Rich for class service.

The server sounds quite good - could not find flaw in sound quality - but it did not serve my needs and Rich refunded the money back while supporting me all along with issues that might have been unique to me.

Highly recommend!

Thanks
Sunil

HAL

« Reply #48 on: 25 Feb 2013, 12:29 am »
The first MS-2 running Windows 7 OS is at Scott's place and making music with his Oppo BDP-105.  Did this one as a custom version as the Oppo does not have a Windows 8 OS driver.  He is running the Oppo ASIO driver.

Next unit out this week is Phil A's for his Meitner DAC.   All boxed and ready to ship.

HAL

« Reply #49 on: 28 Feb 2013, 12:43 am »
Phil A received his MS-2 today.  Looking forward to his comments with his setup when he has time.

Phil A

« Reply #50 on: 28 Feb 2013, 05:23 am »
Phil A received his MS-2 today.  Looking forward to his comments with his setup when he has time.

Rich, got the keyboard and plugged everything in, which includes the keyboard, network cable, usb to DAC, 2 Oyen Digital 3TB Hard Drives and a StarTech.com High Resolution VGA to Composite (RCA) or S-Video Converter.  The latter item is due to the fact I have a 19 inch TV near the listening chair already hooked to a composite switcher for disc player set-up, DVD-A menus, front door camera and now the MS-2.  I played with the resolution a bit and while it probably is not as good as a PC monitor, it is workable (and in about a year I will have a new place and I had composite video and other things pre-wired under the slab).  It will likely be Saturday until I get around to doing anything with it.

HAL

Re: HAL's thread for the MS-2 PC Music Server
« Reply #51 on: 6 Mar 2013, 03:14 pm »
The original prototype of the HAL MS-2 will be at Axpona in Chicago in the Seaton Sound room for music playback.  Sent my HiRez library so they have lots of things to play.   

Hope folks will be able to stop by and say Hi to the guy's and give the setup a listen.

Phil A

« Reply #52 on: 9 Mar 2013, 05:49 am »
I finally got around to listening to a few things and have been playing with JRiver and fumbling my way through it.  The MS-2 sounds fantastic on DSD

HAL

« Reply #53 on: 11 Mar 2013, 11:49 pm »
Looks like a few AC folks got to Axpona in Chicago and gave the MS-2 prototype in the Seaton Sound room a listen.

Hope folks enjoyed the show.  Wish I could have gone. 

HAL

« Reply #54 on: 14 Mar 2013, 01:22 am »
Looks like Scott has his MS-2 up and running with his Nook Tablet as the remote control. 

pansixt

« Reply #55 on: 14 Mar 2013, 02:17 am »
Lets see a picture of the 2. Is that it in Phils pic?
No wood top on this unit?

Phil, I see you went with the Oyen Dig HDD's. :thumb:  I really like mine.
Damn Son, two 3 TB drives. That wasn't cheap huh? :green:

HAL

« Reply #56 on: 14 Mar 2013, 02:24 am »
James,
Yes the MS-2 is in Phil's picture.  Look at post #3 in the thread.  The latest picture of the MS-2 is in that post. 

pansixt

« Reply #57 on: 14 Mar 2013, 02:34 am »

Duh :duh:

Damn it looks really nice. I know what it must sound like too :thumb:
That wooden top on the MS-1 just matched my stand perfectly.
Thanks Hal

Phil A

« Reply #58 on: 14 Mar 2013, 02:47 am »
Lets see a picture of the 2. Is that it in Phils pic?
No wood top on this unit?

Phil, I see you went with the Oyen Dig HDD's. :thumb:  I really like mine.
Damn Son, two 3 TB drives. That wasn't cheap huh? :green:

James, after the Meitner MA-1 DAC, it was cheap :lol:  I'm busy getting cover art (lots of .dff files) with the drive attached to my PC.  Then it will go back into the MS-2 and I'll tag stuff with JRiver.  I'm only going to get to the drive with the non-classical stuff probably and that's going to take a bit.  The system sounds tons better than when you heard it last.  I'm really amazed.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #59 on: 14 Mar 2013, 04:44 am »
The first MS-2 running Windows 7 OS is at Scott's place and making music with his Oppo BDP-105.  Did this one as a custom version as the Oppo does not have a Windows 8 OS driver.  He is running the Oppo ASIO driver.

Next unit out this week is Phil A's for his Meitner DAC.   All boxed and ready to ship.

Yes, the MS-2 is up and running in my system. I'm using Windows 7 and using the Oppo 105 as the DAC.  I had some growing pains figuring out how to integrate this new source in my home network and with using my color Nook as a remote.  Fortunately, Rich was as patient as a man can be and talked me through my confusion.

The unit is quiet and I heard an immediate improvement compared to optical disc playback.  Both the MS-2 and the Oppo are new, so I expect continuing improvements as everything burns in.  I've got a new WyWires silver usb cable on order to replace the stock generic cable.  I'm expecting big things!

I give an enthusiastic recommendation to the HAL MS-2.  If you are comfortable navigating the "wonderful" world of Windows and networks, you should be fine.   If not, Rich will give you superb guidance.