NAD M51 Dac Mods

Syrah

NAD M51 Dac Mods
« on: 15 Jul 2012, 03:15 am »
Given how this DAC seems to perform according to Stereophile's measured performance, would it be a good candidate for the full Modwright tube output?

What do you think Dan?

modwright

Re: NAD M51 Dac Mods
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2012, 04:47 pm »
It is certainly a possibility.  I need to learn more about it.  If someone is willing to send me one to evaluate, I would be most interested.  If we do develop a mod, the person who sends a unit for eval. would receive preferential pricing.

Thanks,

Dan
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2012, 07:58 pm by modwright »

fridays

« Reply #2 on: 29 Dec 2012, 04:54 am »
Any updates on the M51 mod

Afterimage

« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2013, 01:08 pm »
there are a lot of people that own this DAC, it would seem a good prospect for a mod.

wisnon

« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2013, 02:23 pm »
A local Swiss firm mods it for output stage only. Not sold outside Switz though, unless perhaps an individual special export order is made.

Just got off the phone with them and they explained the mod to me.

They think the stock M51 is already great and has some small points of perfection (neutrality/low colouration, especially), but after the mod you no longer think of the M51 as digital, you think analog. The mod takes a great Dac to one class higher.

So, what IS the mod? What I was told was that its a mod to the output stage/analog section only, no PSU mod. I asked about the PSU and they think its fine and no need for extra shielding, etc. The output stage already has some high quality opamps, etc, but the change some components and and some other arrangements to get more dynamics,  a warmer and smoother treble (more open yet more natural), an improved structure to the lower mid bass....better defintion, etc. After 5 seconds playing head to head, they expect you can hear the difference between stock and modded.

They wont give me more details than that. I hope this sheds some light on it.

Syrah

« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2013, 06:13 pm »
Lots of good DACs out there now.  I'm now thinking of a DSD DAC, maybe a Mytek or the new Teac.  I'd love to be able to do a shoot out.  It's too early for many of them to have any good review or feedback, although Mytek owners seem to love their Myteks.

This is a good list - http://www.audiostream.com/content/dsd-ready-dacs-short-list

I don't know enough to be able to figure out which one might be the best mod candidate.

wisnon

« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2013, 10:10 pm »
Surface mount tech means mods are getting harder for amateurs to do.

Syrah

« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2013, 10:53 pm »
I'm hoping a pro wil do them.

Dan - are there any DACs that appear to be likely candidates from what you can make of the specs and photos?

My vote is for one that can do DSD duty too.

wisnon

« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2013, 11:31 pm »
Maybe you should get a Qute and invest in a top notchLinear PSU, like a Hynes!
The Qute is gathering lots of momentum..

Still the M51 is a great Dac and a guy like Dan could do wonders...it would be interesting to see...

Syrah

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2013, 03:09 pm »
That Qute is interesting, particularly since I already have a 12V Hynes supply that I'm using for my V-Dac.

Dan - this review has a photo of the guts - http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1212/chord_chordette_qutehd_dac.htm

It looks like it one could raise the lid if more room were needed, or made a raised lid.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2013, 03:31 pm »
A local Swiss firm mods it for output stage only. Not sold outside Switz though, unless perhaps an individual special export order is made.

Just got off the phone with them and they explained the mod to me.

They think the stock M51 is already great and has some small points of perfection (neutrality/low colouration, especially), but after the mod you no longer think of the M51 as digital, you think analog. The mod takes a great Dac to one class higher.

So, what IS the mod? What I was told was that its a mod to the output stage/analog section only, no PSU mod. I asked about the PSU and they think its fine and no need for extra shielding, etc. The output stage already has some high quality opamps, etc, but the change some components and and some other arrangements to get more dynamics,  a warmer and smoother treble (more open yet more natural), an improved structure to the lower mid bass....better defintion, etc. After 5 seconds playing head to head, they expect you can hear the difference between stock and modded.

They wont give me more details than that. I hope this sheds some light on it.

Does the "Swiss firm" have a name so I could look it up?

Syrah

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2013, 12:29 am »
I've pulled the Chord (ba - dum...) and sent Dan a Chord QuteHD to play with.  So watch this space.

HumanMedia

« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2013, 02:05 am »
I've pulled the Chord (ba - dum...) and sent Dan a Chord QuteHD to play with.  So watch this space.

Any developments here?
Any scope for QuteHD mods?

wisnon

« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2013, 04:13 am »
Does the "Swiss firm" have a name so I could look it up?

Rowen.

Syrah

« Reply #14 on: 13 Apr 2013, 11:42 am »
Dan said that it sounds very nice indeed (particularly for the price) but he couldn't find anything inside that could easily be modded.  The power supply, on the other hand, he said could easily be improved - but that is well known.  He also commented that it's built like a Swiss watch, impressively.  I'll leave it to someone else to send him the M51 or maybe the Mytek, etc.

seenc

« Reply #15 on: 18 Sep 2013, 11:32 am »
Any news regarding NAD m51 mod ?

Has anyone photos of the Rowen mod ? I didn't find the way how to connect with them?

Ceasar

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jan 2014, 08:21 pm »
Have a look to  the product catalogue on www.dynavox.ch! I own the m51 RSE: outstanding!