The Dac that got me listening to my CD again.

mgsboedmisodpc2

Re: The Dac that got me listening to my CD again.
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jan 2015, 04:20 pm »
/MP I think there is an answer for each but beyond the scope of this thread

/mp

« Reply #21 on: 29 Jan 2015, 04:24 pm »
I think there is an answer for each but beyond the scope of this thread
;|

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jan 2015, 04:40 pm »
"What about the dozens of yards of in wall wiring? Thousands of dollars for a few feet of hook-up wire."
I have read about an audiophile whom after purchasing the lps from a radio station which uploaded them to digital storage designed his house or a room in his house around his audio by choosing special in wall wiring and special power voltage jacks even conditioning the power coming into the house or room from the street electrical connection.  I wondered how long it took him to catalog those 10K+ lps from the radio station?  At what cost?

steve in jersey

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jan 2015, 07:47 pm »
"What about the dozens of yards of in wall wiring? Thousands of dollars for a few feet of hook-up wire."
I have read about an audiophile whom after purchasing the lps from a radio station which uploaded them to digital storage designed his house or a room in his house around his audio by choosing special in wall wiring and special power voltage jacks even conditioning the power coming into the house or room from the street electrical connection.  I wondered how long it took him to catalog those 10K+ lps from the radio station?  At what cost?

There really isn't any answer to "rhetorical" questions !!

If you're new to the hobby all you need to know is that what others are spending is meaningless to you, until you've gotten your feet "wet".Don't get discouraged (Or by the same token "Evangelical" over those who don't seem restrain themselves from spending irrational
amounts of money. Firstly it's their perrogative to do so & more importantly (regardless of what you know now) some things do work!

Don't confuse value with cost, it doesn't really have to ever get more "personal" than that.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jan 2015, 10:41 pm »
Yes, the Martin is in daily use but with D'Addario 80/20 lights on it at the moment.
I didn't have to spend a cent on wiring or power conditioning or room treatments or anything to make it sound like there's an instrument right there in the room with me, either...
Back to our thread.

/mp

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jan 2015, 11:32 pm »
I wondered how long it took him to catalog those 10K+ lps from the radio station?  At what cost?

The math is trivial estimate. It depends. 2 minutes to key in title? 30 minutes key in every orchestra member, their instrument & every other available data including liner notes? Between 1/4 & 3 man-years. Cost? What's the opportunity cost for undertaking a large unpaid project or the dollar cost to contract it out.

There really isn't any answer to "rhetorical" questions !!

Not really rhetorical with or without quotes. I concur with
I think there is an answer for each but beyond the scope of this thread

If you're new to the hobby...

Not really. Only ~40 years.

Don't get discouraged
  • r "Evangelical" over those who don't seem restrain themselves from spending irrational

amounts of money. Firstly it's their perrogative [sic] to do so

I've long since given up attempting to prevent fools being parted from their money. That doesn't mean Barnums get an automatic free pass.

Is that Isle of Jersey or New Jersey? Hello neighbor if the latter.  Just to be even handed, hello stranger if the former.

Back to our thread.

Agreed. Absurd pricing in high-end audio has about as much to do with Well Tempered Labs as DACs.

[Edited for spelling]
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2015, 03:12 am by /mp »

mgsboedmisodpc2

« Reply #26 on: 30 Jan 2015, 12:01 am »
"has about as much to do with Well Tempered Labs as DACs."
so anyone compare yet hear the HD download of Jazz at the Pawn shop
or should one just stick to the 45rpm lp release

threadkiller

« Reply #27 on: 30 Jan 2015, 03:17 am »
Who cares? That record is only good for skeet..:)
Buy some of the new Music Matters 331/3 releases if you want to listen to jazz...the new Eric Dolphy is stunning. This year's monthly lineup is quite tasty.
Records like JatPS should have died with HP.