New Alnico HO XRS Speakers arrived

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Re: New Alnico HO XRS Speakers arrived
« Reply #20 on: 12 May 2017, 03:05 pm »
Hey yeah i am traveling alot for work currently but i will try to give my thoughts between the HO RS5 monitors and my Alnico HO towers when I have a little more time to sit down with them both and my alnico are more broken in.  The one thing i notice though is the towers have more bass as is expected lol.

Thanks. Looking forward to your impressions. Of course those towers are going to have more bass. My thing is if I got the HO RS5 route, I will have Louis build into the cabinets and active 8inch sub or two as well so I will have the bass area covered. Just wondering more about the sonic characteristics between the two and if it's just in the bass department, might just stick with the RS5 drivers because I love them!  :D

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
« Reply #21 on: 12 May 2017, 03:08 pm »
Those are beautiful!

And yes, I agree, they are BEAUTIFUL! Louis is an artist!  :D

Nocturne79

« Reply #22 on: 12 May 2017, 04:47 pm »
Question: are these basically the same as the Super Alnico HO Monitors with a larger (floorstanding) cabinet instead of a standmount?  If so, I'd be very appreciative if you would publish your detailed thoughts on these speakers once they have broken in.  I am very intrigued by the monitor variants and would like to get a better idea on how these sound from someone who actually has them in-house.

Thanks,  -dB

Hi i believe that they are Louis posted information in the forum about the monitor and towers awhile back sorry not sure where it is but its in the omega circle.  The other way is to call louis and confirm that way.  I will give you my thoughts as i got time and they break in a little more.

Nocturne79

« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2017, 08:07 pm »
Hey all just wanted to give a little input on one other component i added to the chain.  I got a PI Audio Digibuss since my whole setup is all digital and have to say I am very happy with it just made things clearer which to be honest did think was possible lol.  I love the fact its a little black box in the back out of the way. 

Also did some comparison between my HO alnico and HO RS5 monitor.  bascially I suck at describing things but bare with me.

The rs5 speakers are fast and clean and seem to have a little more snap to them than the Alnico but the alnico has better texture and tone just a tad less snappy.

The alnico are to me at least richer tone and the rs5 have a cleaner tone if that makes any sense.  I love them both and have no wish to part with either.

The rs5 are movie and music duty downstairs and the alnico are main system for music and every now then its nice to swap them for a tad different sound.  I have watched some movies with the rs5 and have to say pretty impressed with the clarity and bass coming from these monitors with using my maratnz sr6008 reciever.

Eventually i plan to ad a sub for the movie section but so far not feeling a need for a sub for alnico towers and they seem to be still breaking in, not sure how much hours i have on them.

I would be soo tempted to try to get the new RS8 driver speaker but i have too many speakers already with the two sets of omegas i have lol.  Dang this hobby it never ends haha

Have a good one all and enjoy the music

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2017, 09:17 pm »
Sounds like you are having fun!   Your description matches my experience and that of others that have described the two flavors of magnets.

I've had Omega Super 7 XRS (not the smaller MkII) and had 7" ferrite without whizzer and 7" alnico drivers to switch between.  The description fits for this comparison even without the whizzer on the 7" ferrite.

.......Peter

EVOLVIST

« Reply #25 on: 18 May 2017, 02:15 am »
Hey all just wanted to give a little input on one other component i added to the chain.  I got a PI Audio Digibuss since my whole setup is all digital and have to say I am very happy with it just made things clearer which to be honest did think was possible lol.  I love the fact its a little black box in the back out of the way. 

Also did some comparison between my HO alnico and HO RS5 monitor.  bascially I suck at describing things but bare with me.

The rs5 speakers are fast and clean and seem to have a little more snap to them than the Alnico but the alnico has better texture and tone just a tad less snappy.

The alnico are to me at least richer tone and the rs5 have a cleaner tone if that makes any sense.  I love them both and have no wish to part with either.

The rs5 are movie and music duty downstairs and the alnico are main system for music and every now then its nice to swap them for a tad different sound.  I have watched some movies with the rs5 and have to say pretty impressed with the clarity and bass coming from these monitors with using my maratnz sr6008 reciever.

Eventually i plan to ad a sub for the movie section but so far not feeling a need for a sub for alnico towers and they seem to be still breaking in, not sure how much hours i have on them.

I would be soo tempted to try to get the new RS8 driver speaker but i have too many speakers already with the two sets of omegas i have lol.  Dang this hobby it never ends haha

Have a good one all and enjoy the music

But can they rock out? Seriously. Can the Alnicos take anything you throw at them? They are contenders for me, but I don't want my selection of music to be limited, you know?  Reviews are scarce on the HO 1.5 models.

Nocturne79

« Reply #26 on: 18 May 2017, 03:04 am »
hey yeah i have played metallica ozzy anfd lots of classic rock and for my volume level they do very well,  thopugh i do ike the rs5 a little better for heavy rock due to the little more snap in its sound.  i also just stream spotify so no super hi quality.

i dont blast my music just not my thing.

Nocturne79

« Reply #27 on: 27 May 2017, 02:43 pm »
Well just got my zrock from decware...and have to say it does what they say it does gives nice punch to songs.  Makes my spotify streaming even nicer and fuller sounding.  So much that on some songs i have more bass than my room can handle as it gets boomy.  I have no treatments.  And for those songs when i dont want the eq the bypass swithc is super nice which I have used one when i am streaming some higher quality songs. Also i can listen at quieter levels and still have a nice full sound. 

For my eighties and classic rock songs it gives crazy good punch and gives more bass.  Love this little thing and have used with my torii mkiv+csp3 in the chain and also just the mini torii.  With the zrock in the chain i can still tell the different amp flavors.  Form factor is nice since its just a black box with a one tube lol.

Anyways just wanted to mention this great little box for those who may have been missing the punch like i was in bad recordings or low quality streaming.  have a great day

pursuitofnow

« Reply #28 on: 27 May 2017, 07:07 pm »
Thanks for the update on the ZROCK. Sounds promising. What was the wait? Is it still 3 months or so?

roscoe65

« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2017, 09:47 pm »
hey yeah i have played metallica ozzy anfd lots of classic rock and for my volume level they do very well,  thopugh i do ike the rs5 a little better for heavy rock due to the little more snap in its sound.  i also just stream spotify so no super hi quality.

i dont blast my music just not my thing.

That's a good point Nocturne.  I've been deciding which speakers go in which of my two rooms (Alnico vs. RS5).  I have varied musical tastes while my GF is really into Metal.  I've settled on using a paif of 1.5 way RS5's in the LR with Red Wine Audio Signature 16 and a pair of Rhythmik F8 subwoofers that she would be able to use.  My Super Alnico's (that I may ask to retrofit to 1.5) will live in the small dedicated room driven by Inspire gear.  I have a twist planned for that implementation and if it works out I'll share with the class.