Good non-tube amps for Omegas?

tdogzthmn

Good non-tube amps for Omegas?
« on: 31 Mar 2017, 04:01 am »
I'm hoping to order some Omegas soon and read a lot about SET amplification pairings with the speakers having good synergy.  In the past I have owned a Bottlehead Stereomour 2a3 and SEX amp which are of the SET kind. 

I recently sold the tube amp and currently own a Fleawatt Class D amp and a Sansui AU-517.  Later I learned this amp was also proclaimed to be a good pairing with the Omega's which lead me to finding out more about these speakers.

Aside from Fleawatt, I'd like to know if older solid state amps like my Sansui AU-517 will be resolving enough for something like the Junior 8RXS or 3XRS.  It would be nice to hear what other solid state gear makes for a good pairing.  Please let me know what you think.

rodge827

Re: Good non-tube amps for Omegas?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2017, 10:36 am »
Temple Audio from the UK is an amp that has peaked my interest of late. I have a pair of the RS7 drivers mounted in a Charney Audio Maestro horn. Many good things said about Temple in the press and user reviews. Bantam One is the top of the line integrated that runs about $1k USD shipped  depending on exchange rates. They also have the Bantam Gold which is considerably less with only 1 input.

http://www.templeaudio.net/bantamgold.html

http://www.bantamone.com/showroom.php

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0416/Temple_Audio_Bantam_One_Integrated_Amplifier_Review.htm

Chris

tdogzthmn

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2017, 02:51 pm »
Temple Audio from the UK is an amp that has peaked my interest of late. I have a pair of the RS7 drivers mounted in a Charney Audio Maestro horn. Many good things said about Temple in the press and user reviews. Bantam One is the top of the line integrated that runs about $1k USD shipped  depending on exchange rates. They also have the Bantam Gold which is considerably less with only 1 input.

http://www.templeaudio.net/bantamgold.html

http://www.bantamone.com/showroom.php

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0416/Temple_Audio_Bantam_One_Integrated_Amplifier_Review.htm

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I do remember seeing the Bantam gold before which seems similar to my little fleawatt amp.  The Bantam One certainly looks nice with the wood faceplate.  I'll read some more into it!

Slam

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2017, 02:52 pm »
I've been using a vintage Marantz 2215b with very good results.

mrvco

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2017, 05:04 pm »
First Watt

richidoo

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2017, 06:19 pm »
https://www.neurochrome.com/
There's nothing more resolving than Modulus-86 chip amp. It is DIY, easy to build and inexpensive. Realistically $500 for a complete 40W stereo amp.

MarkR7

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2017, 07:51 pm »
I have used the Temple Audio monoblocks, powered via sealed lead acid batteries (car battery) with my 3i and Super Alnico Monitors, and they were a great match. So good in fact, that I decided to go the Class D route, and now use a Red Dragon S500, to replace my previous SET amplifier.

I do have my Temples listed here in the classifieds, and the price of admission is very, very reasonable.

Cheers!
Mark

Bemopti123

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2017, 09:16 pm »
Any Fleawatt amp.  In fact I have two of the ordered within the first month.  Extreme value for the money and to my ears very pure. BTW, I am not an Omega speaker owner but I run them with the Finale Audio Vivace Minis..fullrange, TL/horn speaker with a 2.5" driver. 

md92468

« Reply #8 on: 31 Mar 2017, 09:26 pm »
One more vote for Fleawatt...can't beat it for the $. Looks like he's still got a couple for sale - well worth a look (the one I most recently bought – my second – is the wood-fronted one the Fleawatt site...it is outstanding).

guillaume bougard

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2017, 01:09 pm »
A friend of mine played some music I produced (and therefore know by heart) on an Audio GD amp and honestly, it's a freaking revelation. It was close to what I'd experienced in the studio when I was with the mixing engineer.

So I jumped in the water and bought a barely used Master 10 and it's pure joy. I havent told my wife and am using it in my office, because I'm scared if I come home with another piece of gear she might leave or kill me or both!!! At my office I still use JBL 4310's from way back and lossless files. The combination is fantastic. I know it's MADE IN CHINA and it took me a while to accept listening to my friend's amp just for that (silly) reason. I also know it's solid state which will hurt some of this forum participants' feelings, but it is wonderful. And when you start cranking up the volume, it is MIGHTY.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm

The owner, Mr Kingwa is responding to emails within a day. Hi English is not the Queen's English but you can understand what he says.

I've ordered their new DAC and can't wait.

I'm seriously thinking of selling my Swissonor tube amp at home and bringing that beast to see how it sounds with my Omega 7XRS'. And if it is good, I'd love to order a special, bigger, badder model from Louis...

Nocturne79

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2017, 02:22 pm »
A friend of mine played some music I produced (and therefore know by heart) on an Audio GD amp and honestly, it's a freaking revelation. It was close to what I'd experienced in the studio when I was with the mixing engineer.

So I jumped in the water and bought a barely used Master 10 and it's pure joy. I havent told my wife and am using it in my office, because I'm scared if I come home with another piece of gear she might leave or kill me or both!!! At my office I still use JBL 4310's from way back and lossless files. The combination is fantastic. I know it's MADE IN CHINA and it took me a while to accept listening to my friend's amp just for that (silly) reason. I also know it's solid state which will hurt some of this forum participants' feelings, but it is wonderful. And when you start cranking up the volume, it is MIGHTY.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm

The owner, Mr Kingwa is responding to emails within a day. Hi English is not the Queen's English but you can understand what he says.

I've ordered their new DAC and can't wait.

I'm seriously thinking of selling my Swissonor tube amp at home and bringing that beast to see how it sounds with my Omega 7XRS'. And if it is good, I'd love to order a special, bigger, badder model from Louis...

Love Audio GD I have there dac 19 and great sounding unit,  someday would like to get thier master 7 dac...

loco11

« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2017, 03:45 pm »
Love Audio GD I have there dac 19 and great sounding unit,  someday would like to get thier master 7 dac...

I agree, Audio GD makes great components and the J2 and dac 19 make a great combination with my SAMs. Ever since the First Watt arrived last December, I haven't even touched my Mini Torii.

mrvco

« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2017, 08:44 pm »
I agree, Audio GD makes great components and the J2 and dac 19 make a great combination with my SAMs. Ever since the First Watt arrived last December, I haven't even touched my Mini Torii.

How do you like the Tortuga pre w/ your J2?

seikosha

« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2017, 08:48 pm »

Doesn't that preamp get awfully hot sitting on top of the J2?

RDavidson

« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2017, 11:11 pm »
First Watt amps don't get terribly hot (just warm to the touch in my experience) because they have simple circuitry, don't use many output devices, and they have more than adequate heatsinks for those few devices. Pass amps are another story. The XA30.8 can definitely raise the ambient room temperature. I can only imagine what the giant monoblocks would do.

loco11

« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2017, 11:44 pm »
How do you like the Tortuga pre w/ your J2?

It's a keeper. Still curious about the new tuber buffer.

loco11

« Reply #16 on: 8 Apr 2017, 11:47 pm »
Doesn't that preamp get awfully hot sitting on top of the J2?

That's actually the dac and I too had that same concern. However, the dac remains surprisingly warm to the touch and not at all hot.

OzarkTom

« Reply #17 on: 9 Apr 2017, 04:10 am »
My long time buddy Rex is now using the DAC SMT integrated with his Omega 3Ho's and says this is the best sounding system that he has ever owned and he has owned about everything. Rex bought a pair of the Burson Cable+ and says it is the most detailed he has ever owned and that is saying a lot.

On my Zellatons, the DAC Cherry amps and my El84 SET amp sounds like a dead heat. For a little over 1k, the SMT is a Best Buy. Rex had a First Watt J-2, but says the SMT is more detailed and bigger soundstage.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #18 on: 9 Apr 2017, 12:54 pm »
I really enjoy the Volt+ class D amp ( TPA3118 ) which comes with all the usual mods. It sounds excellent with full range speakers.

https://allo.com/sparky/volt-plus-amp.html

Freo-1

« Reply #19 on: 9 Apr 2017, 01:14 pm »
Devialet 120 Expert or 130 Expert Pro. 

Includes DAC and Phono section.  Outstanding sound for SS.  Unmatched performance specs and noise floor.  Perfect for high sensitivity speakers.