Planar Home Theater

SubieDriver

Re: Planar Home Theater
« Reply #20 on: 13 Sep 2013, 04:09 pm »
My home theater system is improving over time.  My first Maggie purchase was my MMG-C. 

I had been interested in planars since hearing my first Magnepans back in the late '70s (as a teenager), but had no money for them.  Later years they were on and off my radar, but I usually had higher-priority things on which to spend money.

Well, six months ago I finally broke the ice with my MMG-C purchase.  I was planning to follow that up with some MMGs, but came across some 0.5s on ebay.  A little research showed they were the precursor to the MG12, so I bid on them.  I ended up getting them for less than a pair of MMGs, so I was happy.

Next step will be either MMG-Ws or MGMC1s for surrounds.

My amp is an older Sony STR-DA3000ES that I had lying around.  I had previously bought a newer Sony receiver, but it wasn't rated for 4-ohm speakers, so I dragged the 3000ES out of the closet once I got the Maggie 0.5s.

I'll eventually upgrade my sub (currently a Sony SA-WM250) to something better.

Tim

TNRabbit

• TN native languishing in MD
« Reply #21 on: 8 Oct 2013, 11:30 pm »
I'm using Sunfire Theater Grand IV with a Sunfire Cinemas Grans Signature amp (400x7).  Actively i-amping a custom modded pair of Carver AL-III mains with 4 of the 7 channels, the center is driving a Sunfire CRS-3C & a pair of Sunfire CRS-3 bring up the rear. Sub is a Klipsch RT-12D 12" w/800 watts on tap.  Don't have the Sunfire center speaker in the video below.

Click pic below for a video:

Paul McNeil

« Reply #22 on: 30 Sep 2015, 12:41 am »
Yeah, I've got (center) sound better than the local!

Since I installed Magnepan 3.6s, a pair, as my center, behind a sound transparent screen. Defines 'transparent'. About 2 feet apart, tweeters inside edge, lots of tow in, 3 ft from damped rear wall. Wide sound stage too, all across the couch.

Previously had back there all sorts of stuff, including Stereophile class A (dynamic) speakers.

Before that, tried speakers above and below a non-transparent screen. Nothing satisfied.

This is the most important channel in home theater sound. These Maggies have me at rest.

I think that, in addition to many other positive attributes, they are tall (a vertical array of sound). But perhaps it's just luck...room acoustics match, etc...

Anyway, i'm in heaven....

ajzepp

« Reply #23 on: 30 Sep 2015, 02:51 am »
omg Paul...you are a genius and a bastard.

Pics?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #24 on: 30 Sep 2015, 10:42 pm »
Yeah, we like pictures!

Paul McNeil

« Reply #25 on: 4 Oct 2015, 04:16 am »

Here's the pic, forgive the mess (working on it!).

Maggie 3.6's center.

And the rest...

Marantz 8801 Pre/Pro

NHT XDS L/R.

NHT XD L/R front wide

JBL Front Height

JBL surround (3 per side)

JBL rear

Subwoofing, 2 X 15 and 2 X 18, all long-throw, infinite baffle (back wave outside)

Thousands of real watts

Radioshack cable throughout...

Paul McNeil

« Reply #26 on: 29 Oct 2015, 07:29 pm »
I'm updating my photograph, without mess, and with new arrangement: 3.6s, tweeters outside, towed out.

Magnepan says, tweeters outside edge best for wide soundstage (I AGREE), and they also state. tow those speakers in (see their diagram)! This is a CONTRADICTION. If tweeters are outside edge, they are closer to the listener when towed in.

Well, confused by this, I experimented, and like this, tweeters outside edge, towed out, for a center channel arrangement.

ajzepp

« Reply #27 on: 30 Oct 2015, 06:02 am »
Looking good, Paul!!!

When are we all stopping over for a movie?

Paul McNeil

« Reply #28 on: 1 Nov 2015, 02:28 am »
Anytime, Ajzepp, when you are in Augusta, Ga.

What I am amazed by is how good these two Maggies are as center channels.

Would one be as good...I should try this...but I doubt it, across my 12 foot wide listening area.

And I am surprised at how much 'play' there is in their arrangement.

The present one I can't imagine bettering, but that is what i thought when I first set them up, tweeters inside, towed in.

I'm sure I'll try others, but not soon...

Paul McNeil

magnepan center channel
« Reply #29 on: 14 Apr 2016, 03:07 am »
Magnepan suggests, as their highest level of home theater center channel, the Tri-Center. Three of their bipolar speakers are mounted on the wall, one above and two on the sides of a wall mounted TV monitor (what happens to the back-waves?). I haven't heard this 'tri-center', but can't imagine that it compares to two standard Maggies, 1.6/1.7s, or even better 3.6/3.7s, operating, as intended, some feet away from the rear (and side) walls. That's what I've got going (two 3.6s), operating in mono, behind a sound transparent screen, each three feet from the rear and side walls. I guess this arrangement is too esoteric to promote, but it is incredible. I've spent many years trying to perfect my center channel, the most important in cinema sound: I've even tried two conventional speakers (Stereophile class A), vertically mounted one above and one below the screen, and also as a  pair behind a sound transparent screen. But nothing compares to my present maggies (3.6) located behind a sound transparent screen with room on all sides. I can't explain why they work so well, I think I just got lucky experimenting.

studiotech

« Reply #30 on: 15 Apr 2016, 09:59 pm »
I'm updating my photograph, without mess, and with new arrangement: 3.6s, tweeters outside, towed out.

Magnepan says, tweeters outside edge best for wide soundstage (I AGREE), and they also state. tow those speakers in (see their diagram)! This is a CONTRADICTION. If tweeters are outside edge, they are closer to the listener when towed in.

Well, confused by this, I experimented, and like this, tweeters outside edge, towed out, for a center channel arrangement.

Great idea, Paul.  I'm sure it's very impressive.

Due to the nature of how sound sources couple, you really ought to try the tweeters inside, as close together as possible and then toe them back out to get enough coverage.  In theory, this will result in far less comb filtering between BOTH the ribbons and the mids.  Center to center distance is important to keep as small as possible.  This ought to give you a smoother frequency response with less HF cancellation and roll-off.  You can always play some pink noise with the setup as is.  Walk side to side and listen for a sweeping of phasey sound.  Move them close together and you ought to notice much less phasiness and a more consistent sound quality to the pink noise as you walk side to side.

Greg 

Paul McNeil

« Reply #31 on: 15 Apr 2016, 10:05 pm »
Thanks, Greg, for this suggestion, I will give this a try and report back...if it is even better!

Paul McNeil

my evolving home theater, front and rear, complements Magepan 3.6
« Reply #32 on: 26 Mar 2017, 02:59 am »
I have a sound transparent screen, like that in commercial theaters, and the pros have got it right, this is of paramount importance. (I tried above and below, and, both above and below. None of this is convincing, the source must be behind the screen.)

Then, at one point, I tried two Maggies (3.6) behind the screen and that was better (truthfully, my first impression was bliss).

But recently, I got rid of one of the pair, and this was better as several correspondents at this site and others suggested might be the case.

And then, latest evolution (as I've said elsewhere in the 'planar circle') "I recently tried bl-aming one of my 3.6 Maggies with a Crown XLS 2500, using the passive crossover connections supplied on the box containing the crossover. Not much improvement, and not surprising.

Then I bi-passed that box, and used the electronic crossover built into this Crown amp, at 2600 Hzt, after removing the box and all of that passive stuff..

Amazing transformation. Transparency reigns. Center channel voicing is now crystal clear.

The only quibble was that now I could rattle the panel with low bass input. I now have the cross-over set at 80 Htz, and no more rattle.

That passive cross-over is worth getting rid of, in my opinion."

Here's the other thing. I placed the other Maggie 3.6 in the rear of the room (with plenty of distance from rear and side walls), and turned back on the rear channel sound. Wow, now this rear channel adds, and does not muddy the front sound (which is why I shut off my two rear channels some time ago). How to explain this?

BigguyinATL

• Almost everything in stereo reproduction not real
« Reply #33 on: 6 Jul 2017, 08:56 pm »

Just thought I'd through my Home Theater / Primary listening system in here.

Unusual: MMG toed in 45 degrees - allows all three seats LCR "Stressless" Ekornes Chairs to have a solid center image without a center channel.
MMG W Side Channels

Left and right wall subwoofers - set at the Speaker "Null" points give a great smooth bottom end.

Equipment: Crown Amps - BiAmping the MMG's & with DSP EQ optimized for the room.  Older HK AVR520 Receiver Oppo 103 source/Technics SL10 TT in the picture.  A few other amps there for outdoor and house speakers.  An Acoustat RP2A pre and a Behringer mixer help to distribute the signals and provide Phono gain

ajzepp

« Reply #34 on: 26 Feb 2018, 08:40 am »
I always love seeing tv/movie set ups with Maggies, especially the MMGs. I've said this before on here many times, but I almost didn't bother with Maggies for HT at first, because so many on the forums back in 2004 said they weren't great for that. But as we all know, life can be ironic. And not only did I absolutely fall in love with the MMGs for HT, I just could not imagine NOT having Maggies for HT ever again. The realism and detail they offer just brings the movie to life in a manner Ive become addicted to.

In fact, if anyone is ever up in Northeast Georgia and wants to stop out to give a listen, just let me know.  :thumb:

AvsFan

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jun 2019, 03:26 pm »
I have three different set ups in my home and one of them is a dedicated theater. I am getting my Maggie LRS's VERY soon and might give them a try in my home theater.

mijostyn

« Reply #36 on: 22 Jun 2019, 01:17 pm »
My way of thinking is that whatever is good for Hi Fi is good for HT. I do not use rear or center channels because there is no need to. If all you do is watch super hero and Sci Fi movies that send sounds all over the place for fun then knock yourself out. I like those movies also but I would always prefer spending the money on improving my 2 channel performance then adding amplifiers and more speakers. I guess I care more about music than movies and I suspect by virtue that we are all planar fans everyone here is much the same. Having said that I have infinite line source ESLs and an elaborate subwoofer system. Between the ESLs is a 113" Steward screen. Any disaster movie will lift the house 2 feet off its foundation. Big Fun:)

mijostyn

« Reply #37 on: 22 Jun 2019, 01:23 pm »

AvsFan

« Reply #38 on: 29 Jul 2019, 05:46 pm »

Just thought I'd through my Home Theater / Primary listening system in here.

Unusual: MMG toed in 45 degrees - allows all three seats LCR "Stressless" Ekornes Chairs to have a solid center image without a center channel.
MMG W Side Channels

Left and right wall subwoofers - set at the Speaker "Null" points give a great smooth bottom end.

Equipment: Crown Amps - BiAmping the MMG's & with DSP EQ optimized for the room.  Older HK AVR520 Receiver Oppo 103 source/Technics SL10 TT in the picture.  A few other amps there for outdoor and house speakers.  An Acoustat RP2A pre and a Behringer mixer help to distribute the signals and provide Phono gain

Well....... I have my Maggie LRS's in my home theater room now. I tried them in the two channel room with new electronics I bought, but it just wasn't a good match. So I am going to give them a go in the theater room. I got a good center image as well. I am only using the amps in the Pioneer AVR but in the near future, am going to have real power going to the Maggies in the form of Outlaw Audio 2200 monoblocks that put out 300watts per channel into 4ohms. 

AvsFan

« Reply #39 on: 29 Jul 2019, 05:49 pm »
I don't have mine toed in nearly as much, but maybe I should try that. I ran auto calibration on my Pioneer Elite, made some adjustments from there and changed the distance setting on the right speaker until I got a good center image. Seems to be working out pretty good. Dialogue is crystal clear.