crown xls. i'm new here

jnovac1

crown xls. i'm new here
« on: 10 Mar 2017, 04:50 am »
been using a quad 909 to drive my mag 1.7's. got the itch, as the quad always ran hot, actually shutting down thermally sometimes. sounds great, though. so i am trying the xls 1502. sounds great in many ways, and
of course, cool as a cuke. it's factory fresh, and now has about 12 hours play time. anybody wanna share their burn-in experience? i am getting good stage and imaging, a little mid glare on some things. just wondering how much calming to expect with burn-in. using a conrad johnson pv2 tube pre...

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: crown xls. i'm new here
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2017, 01:14 pm »
I tried it when it had a few miles on it, perhaps Tommy2Tone can chime in? 
He was nice enough to start a tour on the Crown some time back.

FWIW, I found the Crown to sound best plugged directly into the wall, no power conditioner.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2017, 02:34 pm »
When I ran 1.6's and a Crown XLS1500 I too plugged the amp directly in to an outlet.  Dedicated in my case, but no power conditioning in any case.

I bought the unit used, but in the LONG thread about the Crown amps there is reputed to be some break in required.

I really liked the Crown/Maggie combo.  Good music!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2017, 02:48 pm »
I tried it when it had a few miles on it, perhaps Tommy2Tone can chime in? 
He was nice enough to start a tour on the Crown some time back.

FWIW, I found the Crown to sound best plugged directly into the wall, no power conditioner.

The crown amps I bought were new and that was some time ago but I do remember them sounding a bit bright at first but after some use they relaxed and sounded a bit more natural. How many hours that took I can't recall.

Because of how many wall receptacles I had in the room near my equipment I did have to use a surge protector or conditioner to plug the amps into. It was a PI Audio Busstop that I used and it wasn't too harmful on any of my other gear in regards to sound so I assumed it did the same for the crowns.