Considering Move To Maggies - Your Expertise and Input Requested

limniscate

Having owned Maggies in the past, a pair of lowly 2c's from the early eighties, I can say they are just damn fun speakers. I have Merlins now and while they spec out far better, I just don't love em. Maggie's always made me smile. However, Maggies while getting the sound of bass correct, do not have that gut punch that many rock fans want. Whether you can achieve this with a sub is beyond my knowledge. Theoretically yes, but will require right sub and some tweaking. Unless you are made of money, most things in audio are a compromise & for me the Magenepans just get 95% of it right. I will own another set someday. You will need good high current power amp(s) too.

And yes, room treatment is important. I think Maggies are a little more forgiving actually than traditional speaker in this regard, but once you start throwing in subs, then you have to start thinking about bass traps.

Don't want to derail thread on sound treatment, but I know it sounds crazy to 'trap' low frequencies when you want bass, but to get tight punch rock bass, you can't overload the room with a bunch of low frequency crap. And it's really easy to overload a small room. In other words, you want that initial impact wave from the speaker....and then you want it to go away. If not, you end up with a muddy mess.

BTW; There are, of course many fine conventional speakers out there. Odyssey's Lorelli is fantastic and somewhat less expensive than the new Maggie 3.7i. I love ProAc and Harbeth, but they are really pricey.

Best wishes.

+1 on room treatments.  I added 5 GiK Monster Bass Traps with scatter plates and range limiters and 4 Q7D Diffusers, and the difference was massive.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
You can't comment on my system till you hear it.  Hopefully a couple of my AC member friends who have Maggies and heard my system will chime in.

Im with you re "out in then middle of the room" - the "best" is the enemy of "good enough". And Maggie's do so many things so well that they spoil you against anything else - especially anywhere near their price.

Loads of power : another myth. All depends on how close and how loud you want to go. If you want to rock out at stadium levels, then yeah, a 200WPC+ amp is ideal.

The 3.7s are not that much bigger than 1.7s. Most want 3.7s because of the supposed advantage of the "true ribbon" vs the VR one. I don't know in the end whether there's a huge advantage in getting more HF resolution / detail vs the cohesion advantage of going all VR with the 1.7s. For me : I'd put the savings into two good subs. Yeah - you need good fast sealed subs. I'd stick with JL Audio and REL - and in particular with JL as they are the best built and have the best after sales service and highest resale value if you decide to upgrade. I'd get minimum "e-sub" level with "fathom" being ideal.

Enjoy - and remember & give thanks these holidays to your friend - sounds like he was a great one!

- 1.7 owner 3 feet from back wall using 75WPC & 125WPC Conrad Johnson amps & REL T9.

drphoto

thank you limmiscate on that. Again, I don't want to derail OP' s original post, but as a part time pro sound engineer, I have come to know how what a huge part the room plays in sound quality. Lest I go off another tangent....see other threads on room treatment.

NIGHTFALL1970

I have 1.7s with dual Rythmik F12G subs, driven by AVA gear. Maggie's are 4ft into the room with Sonex behind them. If I pull them 5ft or more out the magic disappears. All rooms are different.

limniscate

Im with you re "out in then middle of the room" - the "best" is the enemy of "good enough". And Maggie's do so many things so well that they spoil you against anything else - especially anywhere near their price.

Loads of power : another myth. All depends on how close and how loud you want to go. If you want to rock out at stadium levels, then yeah, a 200WPC+ amp is ideal.

The 3.7s are not that much bigger than 1.7s. Most want 3.7s because of the supposed advantage of the "true ribbon" vs the VR one. I don't know in the end whether there's a huge advantage in getting more HF resolution / detail vs the cohesion advantage of going all VR with the 1.7s. For me : I'd put the savings into two good subs. Yeah - you need good fast sealed subs. I'd stick with JL Audio and REL - and in particular with JL as they are the best built and have the best after sales service and highest resale value if you decide to upgrade. I'd get minimum "e-sub" level with "fathom" being ideal.

Enjoy - and remember & give thanks these holidays to your friend - sounds like he was a great one!

- 1.7 owner 3 feet from back wall using 75WPC & 125WPC Conrad Johnson amps & REL T9.

I'd say that if you listen at volumes over 75db, you probably want a lot of power.

Slapshot

Once the speakers are purchased what is your budget for the rest of the stuff?

About another $5k ......but it would likely take almost all of that for the amps I've been considering

Slapshot

3' out is room enough.  Will they sound better at 5', yes, but they don't sound bad 3' from the back wall.  I keep mine 3' from the back wall.  But I am using 1.6's not the 3.7's. Moving them out further in my 17x17 room gives some improvement in sound but it is not a dramatic improvement.  They still sound great.  Of course, each room is different and user experience may vary.

Please note that, as I said earlier,  I do have the space to get them five feet out from the wall.

Slapshot

I was also originally considering the Martin Logans. So many people steered me to the Maggie 3.7's though, and I really loved what I heard at the extended demo. Given the number of people who feel my room isn't big enough, however, perhaps I should seriously reconsider. The previous generation Martin Logan Montis (just now replaced) are available at a huge discount, brand new, from a couple authorized dealers. They are also Stereophile Class A  in their newest rankings so they must be very good. I also believe I've heard they do rock better and was told by a dealer that my room was certainly large enough for them. The problem is that Martin Logan discontinued them close to a year ago, so there is no stock left to audition, and I would be buying blind. Not my preference.

NIGHTFALL1970

Is there any chance of doing a home demo? That would put all your doubts to rest.
If you like the Maggie sound then I would go with them. Stop putting other people's opinions and taste above your own. I can tell that you are afraid of making the "wrong" choice (especially with the $$$ this will cost you), but if you liked the Maggie's sound then go with them.

I.Greyhound Fan

I was also originally considering the Martin Logans. So many people steered me to the Maggie 3.7's though, and I really loved what I heard at the extended demo. Given the number of people who feel my room isn't big enough, however, perhaps I should seriously reconsider. The previous generation Martin Logan Montis (just now replaced) are available at a huge discount, brand new, from a couple authorized dealers. They are also Stereophile Class A  in their newest rankings so they must be very good. I also believe I've heard they do rock better and was told by a dealer that my room was certainly large enough for them. The problem is that Martin Logan discontinued them close to a year ago, so there is no stock left to audition, and I would be buying blind. Not my preference.

Wow!  ML's sound totally different than Maggies.  If you like them, go for it. 

If you have the room to pull the 3.7's out from the wall, they could work in a near field set up.(just concerned that they could overpower the room)  Just make sure that you have an amp and preamp that sound good at lower volumes.  I had a Pass X1 preamp that sounded great at low volumes, much better than my BAT.  But the BAT beat it at average and louder levels.

AVA Synergy amps also sound great a low levels.  You may want to consider a 600R or the much better sounding AVA 850 monoblocks.

Slapshot

Wow!  ML's sound totally different than Maggies.  If you like them, go for it. 

If you have the room to pull the 3.7's out from the wall, they could work in a near field set up.(just concerned that they could overpower the room)  Just make sure that you have an amp and preamp that sound good at lower volumes.  I had a Pass X1 preamp that sounded great at low volumes, much better than my BAT.  But the BAT beat it at average and louder levels.

AVA Synergy amps also sound great a low levels.  You may want to consider a 600R or the much better sounding AVA 850 monoblocks.

I truly think that getting the 3.7i's 5 feet out from the wall should be sufficient. And, as I explained before, about my extended dealer demo, the speakers sounded amazing 6.5 feet apart and 8 feet from the listening position. I can absolutely duplicate that in my room. Interesting you mention the AVA amps also. The FET 600R was an amp high on my consideration list. Unfortunately, I can't handle the $7,500.00 cost of the 850 monos.

Lucidear

Slapshot,
You mentioned that you listen to about 60% vocal & acoustics vs 40% Rock & others, do you like your bass to be Boom Boom Boom? If so then you'd probably need subwoofers...

But,
1- the sub or subs may overpower your room size.
2- 3.7is may also be overpoweing for your room. (In which case the alternate is to listen to 1.7is)
3- if 60% of your listening is vocals and acoustics, maggies would be choice speakers. Many owners are also happy with maggie's bass and find them adequate.
4- you can also add one or two of magnepans own Dwm bass panels, which are not subs but bass panels that bring the bass down about 10db in maggie speakers. ( even these might be overpowering for smaller rooms)
5-can you get the dealer to audition the 3.7is and 1.7is in your place?
If not you could look to buy good second hand units at competitive prices (do your due diligence as to their condition etc. before purchase, and make sure the seller ships them with adequate packaging as they're fragile and can easily get damaged ), and worst come to worst if they don't match your room you could sell them for about the price you bought them for. (They usually don't last very long in the marketplace if they're in excellent condition and priced right)

For your info:
I bought a dwm right here about a month ago and the seller said the 3.7is were too big for his room of 10x20, so he got the 1.7i and one dwm. Later he realized that the speakers by themselves were sufficient for him and he didn't even open the dwm's box.

I'd suggest you take a few rock cds, that you really like, to the dealer you've been to before and listen to both 3.7 and the 1.7 to see if either would satisfy you.

You can see reviews of the dwm @ hifi+:
http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/magnepan-37i-planar-magneticribbon-and-dwm-woofer-loudspeaker-system/?page=2
And the audio bit:
http://www.theaudiobeat.com/blog/magnepan_37i_dwm.htm

Best of luck

charmerci

You could try the 1.7's via their website. They'll pay you $100 just to listen to them, paid shipping both ways.

Lucidear

@charmerci,

From what I understand you'd have to go through an authorized dealer for the home audition too, and it's subject to the dealer's approval on a case by case basis.

I.Greyhound Fan

A sub in that size room would work with equalization.  Rhythmik subs have a PEQ and would be great for that room.  A friend of mine has a small room like that with 1.7's and dual Rhyhmik subs.  He and a friend did a spectrum analysis and dialed in his subs with the PEQ's.  I have not heard it yet since he did that but I believe him when he says it sounds great.

You mentioned Pass amps. You should be able to find a used Pass X250 for around $2800-$3K and a 250.5 for under $4K. 
I love my X250.  Although I have the itch to jump up to a 250.5. 

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
I'll squeak up: I think you'll be fine. 
A sub (or two) dialed in to match the volume right where the speakers taper off couldn't hurt matters any.  Magnepans have really good bass but 3.7s won't go much below 25 Hz if memory serves me right.
There's lots of good subs out there and I've always been impressed with REL (even though I own SVS because I'm cheap).  If you can find a passive SVS sub Dayton makes a really good 500W plate amp with EQ which sounds great to my ears.  The plate amp looks to be discontinued but I'm sure you could round up a used one easily enough.

I like gigantic tube monoblocks as they give that 3-D presentation and they're not going to run out of steam and pop a ribbon.
A couple of times a year some really good deals pop up and you should be able to score a set of big VTLs for around 2 grand, perhaps 2500 if you're patient and jump instantly.  Wolcott and Manley are also worth snatching up.  Audio Research has just gotten to be stupidly expensive after the Italians bought the company.
I've never heard anyone say they were disappointed with the sound of VTLs.  Their customer service, well, you might as well just put your head through the wall and get it over with right off the bat.

I tried 1.7s in my living room and they were just too puny to fill the space and 20.7s were just way too big.  3.7s should be just right.  Depending upon how you listen and the height of your seat you can put the on miniature tables and get them up in the air a little bit so the center of the panel is in line with your ears.   

Hope this helps.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Yup to all before : I'd never trade my Maggies for ML's - no way! And there's a reason why your finding them SO discounted - they don't hold their value the way Maggies do because people LOVE Maggies.  Only reason they sell them is either :

1. Upgrade to a bigger one
2. Nagging wife / GF who doesn't like the size

Used big VTL tube amp is a good idea. 

EDIT : another good powerful tube amp choice would be a Conrad Johnson Premier 140 (140WPC) which can be had for about $3500. Its big & heavy - but almost all high power tube amps are.

Stay away from old used Audio Research.  Yeah, I know : many people use AR w/ Maggies, and they're probably  in MGNP's listening / demo room.  Still - a VTL is going to sound more musical.  New AR's I've heard at CES lately sound very good - but out of your price league.

Big Rogue Audio mono blocks are also a good choice if you want something bit less vintage.

In solid state Bryston & Parasound Halo is popular - but again not my favorite for the same reason as Audio Research.  In all fairness I haven't heard the newer / newest Bryston.  The ones that tend to come around our shop are probably near the end of their lives and out of whack (bias or other issues).

I'd search out old Conrad Johnson, Pass Labs or Ayre Acoustics solid state for musicality.  Even Sim Audio would be a good choice if you want to get a titch more analytical.

Enjoy - don't doubt yourself : if you've heard Magnepan, go for it.  You won't be disappointed. 
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2016, 04:38 am by jarcher »

josh358

i concur with those who say that your room is big enough for 3.7i's. 13' is wide enough -- they don't have to be very far from the side walls -- and 16' will allow you to pull them out 5'. Add some QRD diffusers at the first reflection points on the front wall and you'll get mind-blowing imaging. Hell, I'm running Tympani IVA's in a 13' x 14' room and while it's kind of ridiculous from an interior decorator's standpoint, they sound great.

I think you'll be happier with the 3.7i than the 1.7's. The bigger the Maggie the better in my experience, and the true ribbon tweeter is special.

Re bass -- whether you want/need a sub is entirely dependent on you -- how loud you play them, whether you prefer planar naturalness or gut-thumping room-pressurizing bass -- and on your room, since bass response and extension vary radically from room to room. I'd suggest that you put off a decision on the subs. Get the 3.7i's, let them break in (it takes a while for them to develop their full bass potential), then you can always add some good sealed subs if you want more slam for rock. No reason you have to use them all the time, you can use them for rock and bypass them when listening to acoustical music.

Power requirements also vary widely depending on how loud you listen. You might want to take some SPL readings with your current system. Then you can figure out how much power you'll need before you  buy the amp.

Wind Chaser

It's been years since I've owned maggies... if you go down that road, you'll need power. Lot's of power. And as with all speakers, where and how you position them in the room will determine how well they work, or not. With maggies, there are no short cuts.

As an inexpensive alternative that doesn't require lots of power, >>> check out this video on youtube... <<<

5 minutes in he claims this humble $175 do-it-yourself project kicks the shit out of his Magnepan MG12QR.  :scratch:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Better not let Magnepan see that video, it'll give  them some new ideas for speaker stands!

Like  the Sherwood gear, though.