VPI Stand Alone Motor noise...?

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: VPI Stand Alone Motor noise...?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Aug 2017, 02:06 am »
The first mistake was buying from Music Direct, they're noted for selling refurbished and returned products as new.  That being said why not just return the unit?  It's certainly under warranty.

Altanir

« Reply #21 on: 29 Aug 2017, 10:26 am »
Well, I did research online before ordering it and found a lot of people saying good things about demo stuff from music direct. I´ve bought several products from them before and never had any issue. The turntable was a demo, but it´s in pristine condition. I believe something happened to the motor along the way from USA to Brazil. The motor is stuck, maybe something got misaligned inside of it, I don´t know.

Anyway, I´m speaking with Jon from music direct about this issue. I posted here because the members were speaking about removing the cap and getting under the hood of a hurst motor, so I thought someone here could know a fix for my situation. At least an easier fix than ordering a new motor and have it shipped all the way from USA to Brazil.

As I said before, the warranty would only be valid if I lived on USA.

bacobits1

« Reply #22 on: 29 Aug 2017, 11:18 am »
Now that's interesting. I never heard of that from Music Direct.
I hope they state is a such "refurb" not legal otherwise.

mav52

« Reply #23 on: 29 Aug 2017, 12:00 pm »
Music Direct always noted Demos and Refurbished in their sells pages and from the prices I've seen throughout the years these products are always discounted.

Altanir

« Reply #24 on: 30 Aug 2017, 06:17 pm »
The real issue here is that the motor is jammed (rotationally)  and what could cause this. If I have to buy another motor, I´d like first to try something to fix it and if someone has done this before and would give me some guidance, that would be great!

I´ve done some reading and this type of motor has permanent magnets on the rotor, that should spin inside the stator. Both rotor and stator receive AC current from the mains, resulting in magnetic fields synchronized  to the frequency. Since this motor has 24 poles, the 300 RPM is achieved under a 60Hz 120V. That´s just the theory, but I couldn´t find clear images or descriptions of the inside of that motor... So I can only imagine what would I find under the hood.

The shaft on my motor goes up and down a little bit, I took some pictures to illustrate that movement.

What could jam this shaft? Could the rotor be jammed on some part of the stator? Could be the bearings that are damaged? Does anybody here has ever experienced such situation?

Altanir

« Reply #25 on: 1 Sep 2017, 04:45 pm »
Just an update: Music Direct will provide a motor replacement.

Nevertheless, if someone has any ideas about what could jam this motor, I would appreciate.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #26 on: 1 Sep 2017, 05:45 pm »
   Bypass MD and call Matt at VPI directly. A sweetheart. I'm sure he will help you. Have the serial number handy. :)

charles

who?me?

« Reply #27 on: 1 Sep 2017, 06:03 pm »
   Bypass MD and call Matt at VPI directly. A sweetheart. I'm sure he will help you. Have the serial number handy. :)
charles

Yes, I will too. I have a Scoutmaster II with independent motor. makes a god-awful squeaking sound EVERY time I power it up. had it for 3 years, and just stopped spinning...

sturgus

« Reply #28 on: 1 Sep 2017, 11:12 pm »
This site may be able to help you. Worth a look.
http://www.hurst-motors.com/papbdirectdrive.html

dolsey01

« Reply #29 on: 5 Sep 2017, 03:45 pm »
Yes, I will too. I have a Scoutmaster II with independent motor. makes a god-awful squeaking sound EVERY time I power it up. had it for 3 years, and just stopped spinning...

Put the belt in some talcum powder to stop the squeak.  Check the pulley an make sure the set screws aren't too loose causing the motor shaft to spin in the pulley.