Use your iPhone or Ipod Touch as an audio analyzer

audioengr

Use your iPhone or Ipod Touch as an audio analyzer
« on: 27 Apr 2011, 06:05 pm »
See:

http://www.studiosixdigital.com/audiotools.html

This might work well in conjunction with Amarra EQ tools.  I have not tried it yet myself.

Steve N.
« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2017, 09:16 pm by audioengr »

wgscott

Re: Use your iPhone or Ipod Touch as an audio analyzer
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2011, 05:44 am »
I got this for my iPad along with the fft plugin and a couple of others.  It works remarkably well, even with my built-in iPad mic.

It has already helped me diagnose a major problem with one of my amp boards.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2011, 02:20 pm »
I downloaded Lite RTA on my iPhone (a few weeks back) and paid the $0.99 to avoid ads.  I do have a real one third octave RTA at home.  I have not done anything with it but I might burn a pink noise CD and do something this weekend if I get the time.  I downloaded the $0.99 SPL Meter too.

6rs

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2011, 05:36 am »
I downloaded the app, and want to use it with the iPod touch gen2. I also bought a microphone. But, I am not sure what files to play, what signals or noise to feed the system with and how? Would someone be so kind as to provide a concise protocol?

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2011, 08:58 pm »
I downloaded the app, and want to use it with the iPod touch gen2. I also bought a microphone. But, I am not sure what files to play, what signals or noise to feed the system with and how? Would someone be so kind as to provide a concise protocol?

I use a pink noise track that I had on a CD test disk.  I suggest you look for a test disk.

Then, you just adjust the volume to a fairly loud level while playing the pink noise in repeat mode.

Then, you look at the spectrum from the listening position with the iPad and the FFT tool.  This will show bumps and suckouts in the freq. resp..  Note the frequency of each of these abberations.

Then, go to Amarra EQ and put in corrections, start with Q=1 and then boost or reduce at the frequency that you noted above.

Look at the spectrum again on the iPad and see if the correction was sufficient or too much .  Adjust the amplitude and Q to get the right spread (Q) and the right dB of correction.

Then, go back to Amarra EQ and adjust for the next bump or suckout.  There are 3 adjustments possible. When the iPad shows a flat response, you are almost done.

If some of the corrections are +/-5dB or more, you may need to back-off so that your speakers or amps are not overdriven.  Listen to some music tracks to determine this.

Steve N.

6rs

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2011, 08:59 pm »
Found a tutorial how to use the RTA, which is inlcuded in the basic AudioTools app
http://www.studiosixdigital.com/rta_demo_video.html

A neat software to generate various sound signals (including pink noise) and test files is
AudioTest, http://www.katsurashareware.com/pgs/audiotest.html

6rs

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2011, 09:00 pm »
Thank you for the helpful tips, Steve!