Share pictures of your DIY fullrange speakers thread

jhm731

Re: Share pictures of your fullrange speakers thread
« Reply #20 on: 3 Feb 2010, 08:27 pm »
Dave...you are THE Man!  :thumb:

Here are my Lowther based single drivers I've had over the years;

This is the design I finally setted on. I serious doubt I'll ever move from this configuration.

Scott-

Did you use a gasket between the PMA2 and the plexiglass?

Aloha,

Dan

sts9fan

« Reply #21 on: 3 Feb 2010, 08:57 pm »
Here is my Fostex shop speakers

Scott F.

« Reply #22 on: 3 Feb 2010, 09:34 pm »
Scott-

Did you use a gasket between the PMA2 and the plexiglass?

Aloha,

Dan

Hi Dan,

No, I don't use a gasket. I did use a rubber coated washer on the back side of the through bolts so I didn't crack the acrylic on the back of the baffle.

audiophile36

« Reply #23 on: 12 Mar 2010, 02:34 am »

Mister Pig

• "when pigs fly"
    • Affordable Audio/Positive Feedback Online writer
« Reply #24 on: 16 Mar 2010, 04:28 pm »
Here is What I Have Been Listening To.

Sachiko with Fostex Sigma 208 drivers.

Here is the other diffuser:

What I used previously. Audio Nirvana Super 12 full range driver.

The first full range speaker I started with is these:

Prior to them I have owned a pair of Cabasse Farella 401 and Catalane 500, which were my first high efficiency speakers.

Regards
Mister Pig

SET Man

« Reply #25 on: 19 Apr 2010, 03:54 am »
Hey!

Well, a little late but here is my system as of April, 2010. Haven't changed much beside the addition of plants replacing my TV that used to be in the middle. :D

The speaker based on Fostex FE167E running full range with FT17H as super tweeter. I built them back in 2002. :D Hmm... I will have to find time to take picture of my system at night. :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2010, 03:32 pm by SET Man »

Mr Content

« Reply #26 on: 19 Apr 2010, 07:41 am »
Nice Set Man. I see you have done a phase plug tweak, is that a valve you are using? Hey also, what is that BIG SS amp you have on the floor?

Mr C :D

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: 19 Apr 2010, 12:23 pm »
Look at the big Tiger!  :)   WOW!

SET Man

« Reply #28 on: 19 Apr 2010, 03:33 pm »
Look at the big Tiger!  :)   WOW!

Hey!

No, he's just a pussycat :lol: Yeah, sometime I think of him as a miniature tiger. :wink:

Nice Set Man. I see you have done a phase plug tweak, is that a valve you are using? Hey also, what is that BIG SS amp you have on the floor?

Mr C :D

Thanks, my system haven't changed much for almost a decade now.  I like it. :D

Yes, I did the phase plug tweak. I used acrylic rod for this but to think of it now, maybe softer wood would be better.

Anyway, my amps. A pair of Welborne Labs "Apollo" with KR Audio 842VHD output tube and GE 6EA7/6EM7 driver tube. They put out 18w/ch. I bought these as a kit back in December 1999 and have been with them ever since.... 10 years now.  :wink: They are beautiful in both sound and look. They are long discontinued.

The worst part of these is that now a pair of KR 842VHD tube cost $1100pr!  :o When I got the amps they only cost $475pr. But the good part is that they will last me about 10 years. I have 7 years on my last pair and they still sound good so I guess I could get a few more years out of them.

As for the big SS amp that you see is a PS Audio P600 power regenerator. Yes, it is actually a SS amp driving the AC for my system. I've been using this since early 2002.

Anyway, there is something special about Single Driver with SET together. And these combo works well for me. And I'm fortunate that I have a pretty decent room right now. :D

Take care,

PS

That room is also my bedroom. :lol: I sleep on a futon that can be roll away to the back of the listening chair. Well, you do need to be creative with space when you are living in NYC :wink:

rjbond3rd

« Reply #29 on: 20 Apr 2010, 04:28 am »
Hi SET Man,

How did you design your beautiful Fostex speakers?!  Is that a custom TQWT design?  Very bold -- I'd love to know more.

SET Man

« Reply #30 on: 20 Apr 2010, 03:38 pm »
Hi SET Man,

How did you design your beautiful Fostex speakers?!  Is that a custom TQWT design?  Very bold -- I'd love to know more.

Hey!

Beautiful? I think you are the first to say that. :lol: Thanks. Yes, it is based on TQWT. I think a simpler explanation would be think of it as BIB of which is very similar to that but up side down. :wink:

Take care,

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #31 on: 20 Apr 2010, 05:30 pm »
Since we're sending a little love to SET Man, I'll throw in cudos for the Victrola.  Is it playable, and do you have the 78's for it?

My wife inherited a stand-up model like the one on the left side of this webpage.
http://www.victor-victrola.com/

We have a box of those thick 78's.  Very cool to listen to every now and then.

I'd love to have a fully operational table top.  Have fun... it looks like you do!  :thumb:

Bemopti123

« Reply #32 on: 20 Apr 2010, 05:39 pm »
Buddy's system has changed very little, except the opening at first was towards the front while now, it is towards the rear.

For the last couple times I have heard it, I think the first time must have been like 5-6 years ago, the drivers continued to break in.  Now, they are very smooth, fast and clear.

Buddy, what is that you put on the tweeters?

As always, Mr.  Bubbles still steals the show. 

No more TV love?  Ah, I got not stinkin' TV in my shoebox of audioroom either....my laptop will have to do. 

Paul K :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #33 on: 20 Apr 2010, 08:30 pm »
Buddy's system has changed very little, except the opening at first was towards the front while now, it is towards the rear.

For the last couple times I have heard it, I think the first time must have been like 5-6 years ago, the drivers continued to break in.  Now, they are very smooth, fast and clear.

Buddy, what is that you put on the tweeters?

As always, Mr.  Bubbles still steals the show. 

No more TV love?  Ah, I got not stinkin' TV in my shoebox of audioroom either....my laptop will have to do. 

Paul K :thumb:

Hey!

Yup, no more TV in the middle. :D Actually it sound better without the TV. And with all the plants I actually feel better too. :D

You were the first in NYAR group to hear my system. I think that was back in early 2005. By then I have had my speaker for about 2 years already. So, you have seen and heard evolution of my speaker since it early years. Amazingly I still have them today! :lol:

Oh! The ring around the tweeter is polyester batting left over from speaker building. I just hole in them and put them on. Yes, it sound better, the speaker seems to do the disappearing trick better. :D

Since we're sending a little love to SET Man, I'll throw in cudos for the Victrola.  Is it playable, and do you have the 78's for it?

My wife inherited a stand-up model like the one on the left side of this webpage.
http://www.victor-victrola.com/

We have a box of those thick 78's.  Very cool to listen to every now and then.

I'd love to have a fully operational table top.  Have fun... it looks like you do!  :thumb:

Thanks for all your loves! :lol: A little off topic here.. but after all it is a full range single driver also if you think about it. :wink:

My machine is a Victor "Type E" Yes, it is in 100% working condition after 108 years! :D Actually I had it motor overhauled back in April 2008 because one of the original spring broke after a Century. And I replaced the gaskets on the reproducer and fine tuned it. So, now it got new springs, cleaned and sound better than when I first got it. Should last me another 100 years. :lol:

That's a good site with lots of good info there. The Victrola on that page is likely an early one maybe it is the "L" door. You can have it overhaul if you like. But most floor stander models don't go for much so sometime it will cost more to overhaul the motor and reproducer than the machine it worth in the market. But if you plan to keep it, enjoy it and pass it on to your children than maybe it worth it. The outside horn models do cost more but it is beautiful.

Yes, I do have some old 78s to play on this beauty. Check out this thread, post #6...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=78763.0

I will post some more of these old records when I have time. :D Anyway, my dream is to have a bigger machine with the wooden horn... maybe someday :D

Take care,

cole

« Reply #34 on: 20 Apr 2010, 08:56 pm »
Custom made Hedlund horns with AER M

D3B drivers

roscoeiii

« Reply #35 on: 20 Apr 2010, 09:56 pm »
Wow Cole,

That picture is a heckuva first post. Beautiful speakers.

SET Man

« Reply #36 on: 21 Apr 2010, 04:50 am »
Custom made Hedlund horns with AER M
D3B drivers

Hey!

Nice! I have only seen these on the internet. Wish I have a chance to listen to them :D

What amp, pre and etc are you using with those speaker. :D

Take care,

cole

« Reply #37 on: 21 Apr 2010, 09:20 am »

Tripath based amp Promitheus audio TVC passive preamp Promitheus audio NOS dac custom made  diy cables

Taterworks

« Reply #38 on: 25 Apr 2010, 03:07 am »
Here's a design that I did the homework for in 2008, and didn't have it making music until April 2009, the "Whetstones". These speakers are my own take on the ideal small single-driver monitor, and they've received plenty of comments since being finished, beginning at Dayton DIY where they took third place in the under-$200 category -- the only single-driver speaker to do so from among three contenders -- and then again at Iowa DIY where someone called them "the best single-driver speakers I've ever heard." An audiophile friend of mine said "they image at least as well as my Maggies" (MMG's), and as I was giving a demonstration to another friend, when I asked him if he had any requests, he responded "Yeah. I request the speakers."

The driver is the Tang Band W4-1052SD, in a reflex enclosure tuned to 65 Hz, with an eight-component contouring network that does BSC, shelving of the rising midrange, and notch filtering, with a bypass 'air' cap to get back some of the treble energy. The Whetstones have excellent output all the way out to 17kHz and all the way down to 60 Hz, with about an 83dB sensitivity, which suits smaller solid-state amps like the T-amp and NuForce Icon-1 nicely. They're competitive with other small single-driver designs.

http://sites.google.com/site/taterworksaudio/whetstones

Photo Credit: J. Andreasen

mightym

« Reply #39 on: 25 Apr 2010, 12:25 pm »
SET man,

Does the guy staring at you from the right side of your right speaker creep you out?     Don't you see him there?    He's the one in the dark glasses.

I know it's an optical illusion, but I noticed it in both pics.

Are those black plastic covered bass traps, or covers over something your no longer using?

Surely I'm not the only one to see him...

John