Book Of Eli

adamaley

Book Of Eli
« on: 16 Jan 2010, 09:44 pm »
Anyone see this on opening night? Read a shockingly negative review on it; it was likened to Kevin Costner's Waterworld. Hope it's not that bad, was looking forward to it.

decal

Re: Book Of Eli
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2010, 10:05 pm »
My friends daughter said that it was really slow.I plan on seeing it anyway,I like to make my own conclusions.

Cacophonix

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2010, 11:29 pm »
I was interested in checking it out when the trailers were released, but haven't come across a single half decent review so far. All have been pretty scathing. Maybe once it gets to the dollar theater, i might be tempted.

Bigfish

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jan 2010, 03:22 pm »
I also wanted to see this one until I read the review in "USA Today" and I think the reviewer gave the movie 2 out of 4 stars.  I look forward to reading the reviews of some of our readers.

Ken

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 7 Feb 2010, 04:35 pm »
I guess I'm lucky I didn't read any reviews. Just went, watched and enjoyed it. I didn't think it slow at all. I am not a very good critic, I just like or don't like something, and I liked this one. My wife can go into great detail and she gave it a 3/5. She had lots of comments about editing, scene design, loose ends in the plot etc.

Bigfish

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jun 2010, 04:33 pm »
I rented and just finished watching "Book of Eli."  It is not a fast paced movie and kind of hard to understand the storyline.  The acting was good but cannot really say I enjoyed this movie.  I think 2.5 stars out of 5 would be my rating.

Ken

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2010, 04:46 pm »
I also wanted to see this one until I read the review in "USA Today" and I think the reviewer gave the movie 2 out of 4 stars.  I look forward to reading the reviews of some of our readers.

Ken

I'd probably give it a hair better than that but certainly not 3 of 4 (perhaps 2.5).  I watched it last night.  I thought the way it was shot was exceptional.  It was a hair as noted on slow side.  Gary Oldman is just a wonderful character actor though. 

JDUBS

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2010, 04:59 pm »
Its pretty awful.  Some ok action sequences, but the overall story was lame, imo.

-Jim

Wind Chaser

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:29 am »
I saw it back when it came out but have no recollection as to what happened.  I think it had something to do about a post apocalyptic world with Denzel Washington.  Apart from that, either I'm suffering from Alzheimer's or like most movies it didn't leave much of an impression.

capwkidd

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2010, 12:53 am »
I saw it when it came out.... Saw it in a Muvico theater, in the nice comfy "love seats", I am surprised no one, on an audio oriented board, mentioned the sound.... which I thought was good. The whole idea that this guy reads this last remaining bible, every night to have it memorized, and one day recites the entire thing to someone so that they can write it down, and make copies is awesome. What do you think would happen if the most important book ever written was lost?

JDUBS

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2010, 02:22 am »
I saw it when it came out.... Saw it in a Muvico theater, in the nice comfy "love seats", I am surprised no one, on an audio oriented board, mentioned the sound.... which I thought was good. The whole idea that this guy reads this last remaining bible, every night to have it memorized, and one day recites the entire thing to someone so that they can write it down, and make copies is awesome. What do you think would happen if the most important book ever written was lost?

Spoiler alert!   :duh:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2010, 04:45 am »
What do you think would happen if the most important book ever written was lost?

We're lucky- Christopher Hitchens is still alive and could rewrite it.  You are referring to "God Is Not Great:  How Religion Poisons Everything", aren't you? :wink:

Cacophonix

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2010, 05:00 am »
We're lucky- Christopher Hitchens is still alive and could rewrite it.  You are referring to "God Is Not Great:  How Religion Poisons Everything", aren't you? :wink:
:lol: :lol: Thats funny!

On topic, movie sucked ass, i thought.

lowtech

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2010, 05:23 am »
I find the negative comments about this movie telling.  IMO "The Book of Eli" was excellent on all counts.  Superb cinematography, storytelling and acting - especially by Denzel Washington.  Can't say that about 95% of the crap that hits the theaters these days.   :roll:

persisting1

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jun 2010, 06:03 am »

Best thing I've read all day  :icon_lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jun 2010, 06:04 am »
DirecTv thinks the Book Of Eli is such a great movie that if you'll just purchase it, they'll give you the next movie for free. Sounds kinda desperate to me,,, now that's telling.  :o    :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

lowtech

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jun 2010, 07:00 am »
You'd have to be a tool to fall for that.  LOL.

capwkidd

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jun 2010, 04:51 am »
Lol, no :)

mjosef

« Reply #18 on: 24 Jun 2010, 05:01 am »
Saw this in the cinema...was a fun watch, though it had its faults.

***]

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 24 Jun 2010, 12:44 pm »

Absolutely right!! I've heard about Hitchens' book and been meaning to read it. The title suggests it is an antidote to the pervasive reach of preach. God, I hope so.