Your digital cables

Al Garay

Your digital cables
« on: 25 Nov 2003, 06:07 am »
Hi Brian,

Without revealing any secretes, can  you please describe your digital cables?

Do you do any QA of your terminations?
Do you crimp or solder them?

Have you compared them to Bolder's digital cable? Just curious, where you set your target.

I ordered my first digital processor and will need to give Santa some suggestions on what cable to get me.

Any plans for an eval? I could have a comparison to Bubba (Brian's) super-duper cryo'd Bybee silver (cost as much as my amplifier) Bolder digital cable.

Thanks,

Al

bubba966

Re: Your digital cables
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2003, 07:34 am »
Quote from: Al Garay
I could have a comparison to Bubba (Brian's) super-duper cryo'd Bybee silver (cost as much as my amplifier) Bolder digital cable.

Yeah Al, I 'spose my custom Bolder digital isn't cheap. :lol: But I don't regret the upgrade one bit.

You're more than welcome to hear it at some point...

Brian Bunge

Your digital cables
« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2003, 04:22 pm »
Al,

It's simply Canare cables with crimp on Canare connectors.  Nothing fancy, but definitely better quality than the entry level Monster stuff.  I'm not a big believer in all the cable mumbo jumbo.  Maybe that's because I don't have a really high resolution system.  I also don't have any real desire to buy expensive cables and sit there and try to tell if I hear a difference.  I'd much rather put my money into quality speakers and amplifiers and just use what I feel are cables with good build quality.  I did let a local high end dealer try it out and he really seemed to like it for whatever that's worth.

Also, I'm not trying to refute any else's claims as far as this cable or that.  I just don't have the time or energy to do any testing; scientific or otherwise.  Building speakers is a lot more fun! :)

Al Garay

Your digital cables
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2003, 06:53 am »
I agree. I like keeping the system simple, enjoyable and usable by the whole family.

I was wondering if you did impedance matching for your connectors. Crimping is preferred as well.

If I had a larger discretionary fund, I would buy cables like I buy computer equipment... try them out and keep the one that I like the best. Luckly, there are many highly regarded digital cables that are under $75. Yours is less than half that.

Thanks,

Al

Brian Bunge

Your digital cables
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2003, 02:40 pm »
Al,

No, I don't do any type of impedance matching.  I don't have the electronic equipment for that.  I'd also have to assume that Canare has consistence down pretty well with as many of these connectors as the roll out.  

All I do is use my multimeter to do a continuity test and make sure that the cables will actually pass a signal.  If I had to buy expensive test equipment I'd have to charge a lot more! :)

ukexpat

Your digital cables
« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2004, 01:23 pm »
Quote from: Al Garay
I agree. I like keeping the system simple, enjoyable and usable by the whole family.

I was wondering if you did impedance matching for your connectors. Crimping is preferred as well.

If I had a larger discretionary fund, I would buy cables like I buy computer equipment... try them out and keep the one that I like the best. Luckly, there are many highly regarded digital cables that are under $75. Yours is less than half that.

Thanks,

Al

Greetings all.

Brian, nice to see you again!!

Al, I make my own cables using Canare connectors and Belden cable. The Canare connectors are 75ohm (one of the few RCA connectors that really are 75 ohm) so with 75 ohm cable, there should be no impedance problems.