Help : Ref. 3a MMC optimization

sachamuni

Help : Ref. 3a MMC optimization
« on: 29 Jul 2008, 07:07 pm »
Ouch! In the previous thread i said that my Ref. 3a MMC were sounding a bit too "fat"...  When I've said that they we're playing on a shelf; I've now bought Atacama SL 700 stands and the sound completely changed: they've dried out too much!, they've lost musicality .
Here is how I have set them up: I filled the four-post Atacama with their filler(2,25 kg on each post wich full them up to 1/3) I screwed the supplied spykes under the bottom plate and put bluetack to couple the speakers .
They stand about 6 feet apart, 1 1/2 ft from the back wall, on the long wall of a room measuring 18 x 12 ft. and the listening point is 7 feet away.

Have you got any suggestion to soften the sound? Should I remove the spykes? Remove some damping material from the posts?
Next thing I'm going to try is changing my speaker cable(Audioquest cobalt2) with Van den Hul 352 or Magnum, which should improve things.

Thank you

Sacha
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2008, 08:39 pm by sachamuni »

uncontop

Re: Help : Ref. 3a MMC optimization
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2008, 01:22 am »
The first thing that I would do is place them 3 ft from the back wall. Next experiment with center distance and sidewall distance. And no toe-in.

tanchiro58

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2008, 04:05 am »
Sacha,

Do you treat your room with some acoustic panels and/or diffusors (which are smoothing out the sound IMO)?

Tan

sachamuni

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2008, 10:00 am »
The first thing that I would do is place them 3 ft from the back wall. Next experiment with center distance and sidewall distance. And no toe-in.

I can't do that : the speakers are in my living room . Mine  isn't obviously the best positioning, but I've read here in the forum that others had the DeCapo at same, or even closer, distance to the back wall.

Sacha,

Do you treat your room with some acoustic panels and/or diffusors (which are smoothing out the sound IMO)?

Tan

Actually no, i don't, but my room is pretty much an absorbing environment with lots of stuff around(bookcase, carpet,etc.)

About the sound I'm getting : I don't mind a lean sound if  the harmonics are still there. That's the problem : the harmonics have gone!

Maybe the Atabites filler(http://www.atacama-audio.co.uk/atabites.htm) isn't the right choice for my speakers and I should put some lighter material in the stands.

Or what if I remove the spykes? I could try to decouple the stands from the ground(If I understand with the spykes we get the stands coupled )

Kind regards

Sacha
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2008, 07:55 pm by sachamuni »

sjh500

« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2008, 11:22 pm »
I have the Van De Hul 352, they are bi-wired. They are very good, I can't compare to other speaker cables as these are the first bi-wire cables I have had. I think the speaker being wired internally with Van Den Hul and matching it with speaker cable helps a lot. Hope that helps with your choice.