What's the chance of a 5 Channel Digital Amp?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 16 Sep 2003, 01:07 am »
Inquiring minds wanna know! :lol:   I've not had the opportunity to hear a digital amp, but I'm intrigued.  Sounds like they blend the strengths of SS (punch, dynamics & hi damping factor) with the sweetness and grain-free quality of the best tubes amps:  a win-win deal, right?

I'm thinking a 5 X 150-200 watt (or is it 'Watt'?  :lol:  Sorry, a little nOrh joke...) would be great for HT and MC music.

Also welcome would be a 150-200 W monobloc; that would allow a person to assemble any type of system, be it 2 ch or elaborate 7 channel HT rig, in a modular fashion.

BTW, I know, Kevin, you're a fan of low power/hi efficiency, but some us of with big rooms and HT aspirations really do need the extra grunt.  Just think, I could have hi power and you could help me save some energy! :lol:

Thanks for listening.

KevinW

« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2003, 01:30 am »
A multichannel amp is something I would definitely like to do.  It's quite likely I'll do that next, assuming sales of the 2-channel amp are good.  I may also do a 1000 W subwoofer amp.

It would likely be a single chassis or maybe two.  Monoblocks would require five power transformers, five power supplies, and five chassis, which equates to a large fraction of the total cost each amp.  Because the Class D amps are so efficient, the crosstalk between channels through the power supply are much less prominent than in other amp designs.  There are also ways of further eliminating such problems. :)

You bet class D is the best of all worlds, sonically.  For the ecologically minded, it uses the least amount of resources too... both from an energy standpoint, but also a materials standpoint.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2003, 01:40 am »
Maybe my interest in monoblocs re digital amps is flat earth thinking; you're probably right, it's not necessary for a digital amp.  I would love an amp w/5 channels in one chassis, if it sounded good.

My 2 cents worth:  I do like thick faceplates and nice casework.  It wouldn't end up in a landfill anyway, or at least not in my lifetime.  And despite another posters feelings, I like a 17" or 19" chassis, since it has to stack with my other gear sized that way.  It's a hassle to place oddly sized components.

And I really would need 150 W, minimum.  And 200 + would be better.  As efficient at digital is, that shouldn't be an eco-disaster.

I'll be watching this one, for sure.  Thanks, Kevin.

bubba966

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2003, 01:47 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
I would love an amp w/5 channels in one chassis, if it sounded good.

I'm planning on a MC amp purchase at some point. But only 5 channels isn't going to cut it. I'd need to have 7 channels.

And I second Rob's 17" width suggestions. I stack my gear and would have a hell of a time with something narrow. I might also add that 16+" deep would be nice as well. My DVD player is almost too short, and it's just over 15" deep. It just barely works in the stack.