Integrated amp for de Capos under $1500?

mcarlson64

Integrated amp for de Capos under $1500?
« on: 19 Jan 2007, 04:24 pm »
I just got a pair of Reference 3A MM de Capo i's and I'm looking to find an integrated amp that would pair well with them - preferably for under $1500. I have a small listening room: about 10 x 15, and I'm using the Rotel RCD-1072 CD player. Currently I'm considering the following options:

Rotel RA-1062
Unison Research Unico P
Audio Analogue Primo Settanta

I haven't been able to find any dealers in the Boston area that carry either the Unison Research or the Audio Analogue so I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them out there. Obviously, I'm open to other suggestions as well. I see a lot of talk about tube options working well on here and I'll have to admit I've only used solid state up until now, so I'm not very familiar with the differences. So treat me like I'm stupid when it comes to any tube talk, okay? Thanks!

mcarlson64

Re: Integrated amp for de Capos under $1500?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2007, 08:12 pm »
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll look for the Rogue and Cayin to see what I can find. You'd recommend the Prologue 2 over the Prologue 1?

robert1325

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2007, 08:26 pm »
I know someone who is using a small yarland el34 SET on his capos...  With great succes.   He found it better than is audio not oto el84 push pull.         

He got it from www.ornec.com. :thumb:

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2007, 08:35 pm »
mcarlson64,

In addition to the suggestions so far, have a look at Bill Baker's souped-up Jolida amps. (Response Audio). I've heard his 3205 and it is really terrific.

WEEZ

PhilNYC

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2007, 08:43 pm »
I believe your speakers would sound exceptional with a tubed integrated.

In no particular order:

Rogue Cronus (used)
PrimaLuna Prologue 2 (new)
Cayin A-88t (used)

Search Audiogon.com for the used components.

Given the high sensitivity of the de Capos, you could even go with the Cayin A50T.  Also, the new Cayin A70T is easier to manually bias than the A88T (and personally, I think it sounds better).  Both are less expensive than the A88T...

(disclaimer: I'm a Cayin dealer)...

dspringham

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2007, 09:16 pm »
How about Pathos Classic One MkII

I've seen them used on Audiogon for under $1500.00. I just picked one up and have been running it on my De capo's and the results are great. This amp sounds silky smooth with these speakers at both low/moderate  as well as higher listening levels. Plenty of drive for these speakers. This combination has a nice deep soundstage.

I'm also running Wyetech labs Coral linestage and Onyx SET monoblocks with the de capos and the sound is definately more "open and airy" with more high frequency resolution and detail but the Pathos sounds darn good at 1/3 of the price. The soundstage with the SET's is more forward while the Pathos is deeper and a bit more relaxed in the midrange.

I highly recommend this amp with these speakers.

regards,

David

Deanh

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2007, 09:28 pm »
read Six Moons critique on the Eastern Electric m520.....I would pit it against any of the afforementioned amps, and the customer service from Morningstar Audio is second to none...

mca

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2007, 10:42 pm »
Contact Bill at Response and see if he still has the Bella Extreme 3205 amp that was for sale not long ago. You could have him add a volume pot to it for cheap.

It would beat the pants off most amps in that price range  :thumb:

mcarlson64

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2007, 11:08 pm »
Well the concensus definitely appears to be tubes for these speakers. I guess I'd better start doing some research as I've got a bit of a learning curve here. I know next to nothing about tubes - they've been out of my price range previously.

panderso

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2007, 11:48 pm »
ASL makes a number of good value tubed integrateds and separates that sound excellent with the Reference 3a line, starting with the ASL 1001 DT integrated.
 >www.divertech.com<

happy hunting.

panderso

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2007, 12:00 am »
another approach, if you are daunted by tubes, is the op-amp route.  I understand the Reference 3a manufacturer thinks highly of the Audio zone line with his speakers. Their Amp 1 should come in close to budget.  Doubtless, there are other good choices in the 47 Labs gaincard approach, including the Shigaraki integrated, offerings by Peter Daniels etc., depending on what is available in your area.

mcarlson64

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2007, 02:42 pm »
So is bi-wiring of these speakers not an important consideration? It appears that all of these recommended amps come with only one set of speaker outputs (at 8 ohms, anyway), which would eliminate the possibility of bi-wiring. I ask because I noticed a definite improvement in sound by bi-wiring them. Though I'll admit I'm still using cheap speaker cables until I figure out the exact positioning and buy the good stuff. Perhaps with better cables there wouldn't be as much of a difference?

The_KiD

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2007, 03:03 pm »
The Unico Integrated or the Pathos would be at the top of my shortlist for your set up..

Good Luck,

KiD

mcarlson64

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2007, 03:48 pm »
mcarlson64,

In addition to the suggestions so far, have a look at Bill Baker's souped-up Jolida amps. (Response Audio). I've heard his 3205 and it is really terrific.

WEEZ

And people are satisfied with the quality of Jolida? I had heard somewhere along the way to steer clear of Jolida as there were quality issues. Though that may have been just one person's opinion who had a bad experience.

Derockster

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2007, 04:12 pm »
Hi,I would go with an almarro el84 based integrated amp.Cost is $800.00 new but goes for around $500.00 used.It's 5 watts per channel but it's a very good choice for the decapos.Regards Derockster

mcarlson64

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2007, 07:19 pm »
read Six Moons critique on the Eastern Electric m520.....I would pit it against any of the afforementioned amps, and the customer service from Morningstar Audio is second to none...

And 24 wpc is sufficient?

mcarlson64

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jan 2007, 11:32 am »
Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions. I've decided to go with the Prologue Two and it should be here tomorrow.