What integrated tube amp works best for the De Capo i's ?

saki70

I am presently using a Cayin A88 T .
I would like to know what may work better than the Cayin that would also be easier to bias . The Cayin needs to be dissembled and turned upside down for the procedure . More than I want to get into at this time .
   If I was looking for an improvement , it would be some added sparkle on the top end . I miss that from the previous speaker , Soliloquy . The De Capo's do everything else better . I know that Reference 3a  (ie. Divergent Tech.)  recommends ASL but I don't put a lot of faith into that rec as they also handle the ASL line !
   I listen to classic rock , 80's & 90's rock and contemporary blues mostly at low levels . My listening room is small and I use some 8th Nerve room treatments .
   Please also list the speaker cables that you have found to work with your amp recommendation .
Thank You .

Sasha

Re: What integrated tube amp works best for the De Capo i's ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2006, 04:45 pm »
You may want to check Korato Ikarus.
Hard to find, but very good IMO, compared to other integrated tube amps in the price range.

uncontop

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2006, 12:04 am »
I use two integrateds, one solid state, the other KT88 based. The ss unit is the great YBA Integre DT. You would swear that you were listening to a valve amp, except for the superior detail the DT gives. The KT88 unit is the highly reviewed Prima Luna Prologue Two. It is also an excellent match with the deCapo. You could not go wrong with either choice. Also, I do get better results with a true bi-wire setup.

saki70

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2006, 04:39 pm »
Thanks people , I will check into these .
Any other suggestions ?

Audiopro

• Industry Participant
    • DTS Audio Electronics
« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2006, 04:35 am »
Here's a couple I've had a good look at, and was quite impressed.
Mastersound Due Vente - Parallel single ended EL34 output
Copland CSA504 - KT88 outputs, built in tube phono

From a tech's and a music lovers standpoint both are excellent.

gpkoo

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2006, 09:50 pm »
I'm using the Almarro A318Bs with my de capos. Very happy with them, and more extension at both ends in comparison to my previous A318As.

Have only compared them to the ASL 300b integrated and the Sonic Frontiers SFC-1. I think that it's significantly more musical than both.

Cheers

Gary

saki70

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2006, 01:03 pm »
Gary ; I have been considering the Almaro 318B . I was wondering
how it stood up to kt-88 based amps . In particular the
dynamics , extension and detail at low levels . Can you compare
these two tubes ?
Thanks .

gpkoo

« Reply #7 on: 13 Sep 2006, 04:44 am »
Sorry can't compare the two tubes.

My previous amp had el-34s (Sonic Frontiers SFC-1) and the Almarro has a lot more drive and extension and is far more musical.

Gary

saki70

« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2006, 02:15 pm »
An update : I have moved to a Prima Luna Prologue 2 . It is auto biasing , no hassles . It is still breaking in but already has noticeably
more detail and air . Where the Cayin favored the middle third of the spectrum , the Prologue seems to favor the upper third and does a better job there than the Cayin . At this time , in the break in process ,
I am not sure if the Prologue 2 is waiting to blossom in the mids or is just more truthful to them .  Some music does have more mids than other selections . I do , however , like the Prologue's sound better than the Cayin .
Thank you to everyone who helped me here .