I'm just curious

Terry

I'm just curious
« on: 26 May 2005, 03:15 am »
Okay, if you are a visitor to this site it is safe to assume that you at least like the DeCapos. I have been using my DeCapo-i for almost two years and I am still amazed at how good they are. Not perfect, of course, but much better than they have a right to be given their relatively low cost. I will never sell my DeCapos. But lately I have been wondering what the next step up would be. If I had double the money, say - $6K, to spend on new speakers what should I look for. A couple that have come to my mind would include the following:

Merlin VSM
Quad 988
Focus Audio 788
Dynaudio (?)
Coincident Speaker Technology Super Eclipse
etc. etc.

The trouble is that, with the exception of the Super Eclipse, I have not heard any of these speakers in rooms/systems that I am familiar with. The Supers are great but, you know, I don't think they are worth double the price of the DeCapos.

So here is my question: If you were looking for your next and perhaps last pair of speakers and you wanted these speakers to be substantially better than the DeCapos and remain under $6,000 (new or used, does'nt matter), what would you go for?

Please provide you thoughts on this. In my opinion, it will not be easy to substantially best the DeCapo with the constraints I have listed.

Cheers,

Terry

mcrespo71

I'm just curious
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2005, 03:44 am »
What sonic characteristics do you like most?

All those listed are very good and I assume you are talking about the Dynaudio Special 25, right?  

My personal preference would be a used Quad 988 with a sub, but I already know the SPL limitations of the Quads and could live with them, especially if I had a MMDCI as a backup.  Many cannot live with them, however.

Michael

panderso

I'm just curious
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2005, 02:00 pm »
Of those on your list I've personally heard the Focus 788s and the Dynaudio Special 25s.  For my part, the Dynaudios are great speakers for someone who is on a quest for the most neutral and accurate sound possible.  I felt they did not quite serve up that special liveliness found in the de Capos, or the Dulcets, for that matter.  In fairness, they were shown with relatively modest electronics, I'm trying to remember now whether it was Rega or Rotel.  Certainly the Dynaudios were not heard at their very best.

The Focus 788s impressed me tremendously on a short, in-store listen, driven by some fairly imposing Ayre and PS Audio electronics.  There I felt you might get more extension and detail without sacrificing life and richness.

I have enjoyed some electrostats, but have not heard the Quads in particular.  Generally I feel electrostats are hard pressed to reproduce the same robust life and richness in the mids and bass compared to de Capos, but of course they have tremendous transparency and detail. FWIW.

Happy Hunting.

Terry

I'm just curious
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2005, 10:48 pm »
Quote from: mcrespo71
What sonic characteristics do you like most?

Thanks for your reply.

Well, lets put it this way, I loved the old QUAD ESL 57s when I owned them. I significantly preferred these to the Quad 63.  On the other hand, I have never heard a horn system that I liked and I find most of the Maggies a little veiled. Actually, the DeCapos come quite close to the 57 is many ways but they lack that ultimate transparency that only an ESL can give.

The two weaknesses that I observe in the DeCapos that I wish I could correct is a slightly forward midrange/top end and deficient bass/midbass.
I am fairly certain the Quad 988 would correct much of this but I would probably lose dynamics with the ESL.

As I said, this is not going to be easy.

Incidentally, I had a chance to listen extensively to an old pair of Thiel 3.5 speakers and I was quite impressed. They seemed to do everything well and, contrary to what I had heard, they were definitely not bright. I wonder what the newer Thiels, like the 3.6, are like.

Cheers,

Terry

Terry

I'm just curious
« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2005, 10:55 pm »
Quote from: ponderso
Of those on your list I've personally heard the Focus 788s and the Dynaudio Special 25s.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I should plan a few trips to some larger cities and scout out some of these designs. Toronto and Montreal are only a few hours drive and they have many more high-end stores. Actually, I think Focus Audio is located near Toronto and maybe an in-factory listen would be possible.

Once again, thanks.

catholic taste

I'm just curious
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2005, 12:51 am »
Add Focal JMLab to your list. Buying Decapo’s reminds me of buying my Saab many rivals exist for $60K Cdn. BUT after changing cars every 3 years, I an accepting my ten year old that cost $8,000 its last service – its just that good. Time and again with mountainous doubt and regret I would venture out and test-drive the latest Merc, BMW only to return to my Aero (Saab) with greater affection.  Heard a set of the latest Thiels driven by Musical Fidelity big amps and found them very cold while playing acoustic music.

Terry

I'm just curious
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2005, 01:02 am »
Quote from: catholic taste
Heard a set of the latest Thiels driven by Musical Fidelity big amps and found them very cold while playing acoustic music.

I know what you mean. I don't plan to sell the DeCapos until I am completely convinced that their replacement is very significantly better. But, you know, there is a real possibility that I can't get significantly better than the DeCapos for $6K. And if it means also changing my amp (I am currently using an 18 wpc SET) the $ go up even further.

Your comment on the Thiels is interesting. Many describe the Thiels as sounding this way but my friends 3.5, which are about 15 yrs. old, were extremely smooth.

panderso

I'm just curious
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2005, 01:31 pm »
"I guess I should plan a few trips to some larger cities and scout out some of these designs. Toronto and Montreal are only a few hours drive and they have many more high-end stores. "

Terry;          I heard the Dynaudios at Brack a/v, 44 Wellington St. East Toronto: www.brack.tv.  I heard the Focus at Eastview Electronics, 270 West Beaver Creek Rd., Richmond Hill (just north of Toronto proper, basically Yonge St. to the 'burbs.) ph. 905-709-2068.

Terry

I'm just curious
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2005, 07:12 pm »
Quote from: panderso
I heard the Dynaudios at Brack a/v, 44 Wellington St. East Toronto: www.brack.tv.  I heard the Focus at Eastview Electronics, 270 West Beaver Creek Rd., Richmond Hill (just north of Toronto proper, basically Yonge St. to the 'burbs.) ph. 905-709-2068.

I know Bracks very well, although it has been a couple of years since I have visited. Eastview Electronics - yes, I think I have been there as well. If I recall correctly, they carried Wilson Audio and several other very expensive brands.

Thanks for this info. Like I said, I think I will be planning a couple of short trips to T.O. and/or Montreal later this summer. Should be fun!

Cheers,

Terry

Vikram

I'm just curious
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2005, 03:46 am »
Terry,
If you like he transparency and dynamics of the deCapo then the Merlin VSM is even MORE transparent. The Merline VSM is a better version of the deCapo that tends towards transparency ans detail. If you want the dynamics and tone then the Audio note J/Spe is the next step up.

Interesting to note that these are both high-efficiency two-way speakers.

Vik

Vikram

I'm just curious
« Reply #10 on: 3 Jun 2005, 03:48 am »
BTW
I have heard the Dynaudio 25 and it is not a step up from the deCapo.

Tons of bass, but that's about it. Too smooth and cold sounding for my tastes. No life and you need an arc-welder and the volume jacked up to hear something approaching music. With Naim amps they sounded decent though. In any case they are not a huge upgrade from the deCapo.

Vik

213Cobra

Re: I'm just curious
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jun 2005, 05:17 am »
I have to wonder: If you own, admire and enjoy the DeCapo-i, and want a speaker upgrade for $6K, why isn't it obvious that used or discounted L'Integral Nouveaus are the logical step up as a keeper?

Obvious alternatives to that might be:

- Zu Druids with Zu Method subwoofer ($5300 new)
- Audio Physic Virgo III new or any prior version used

But not having much contact with Reference 3A listeners, I am very curious about how the Royal Virtuoso and L'Integral Nouveau are viewed by people already in the camp, as I've considered both speakers myself.

Phil

Quote from: Terry
Okay, if you are a visitor to this site it is safe to assume that you at least like the DeCapos. I have been using my DeCapo-i for almost two years and I am still amazed at how good they are. Not perfect, of course, but much better than they have a right to be given their relatively low cost. I will never sell my DeCapos. But lately I have been wondering what the next step up would be. If I had double the money, say - $6K, to spend on new speakers what should I look for. A couple that have come to my mind w ...

Terry

I'm just curious
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2005, 01:58 am »
Quote from: Vikram
Terry,
Interesting to note that these are both high-efficiency two-way speakers.
Vik

Thanks for the info. I have considered the Merlins, of course, but I am a little nervous of the effeciency rating and the BAM. Their rated efficiency is 89 dB and the BAM introduces some problems if you are using an SET amp, as I am.

The popularity of the AN speakers seems to be growing but I have not seen or heard any models. I am somewhat familiar with the Snells, on which the AN are designed, and I always thought they were excellent speakers.

I am going to be doing some travelling later this summer to attempt to listen to some interesting designs. I will certainly keep your recommendatons in mind.

melville

Dynaudio Special 25
« Reply #13 on: 4 Jun 2005, 09:00 pm »
I replaced a pair of RVs with Dynaudio 1.3SE speakers.  With the right amp (high-powered), the Dyns are excellent.  The Special 25s are much better (again, with the right electronics).

Terry

Re: I'm just curious
« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2005, 11:23 pm »
Quote from: 213Cobra
I have to wonder: If you own, admire and enjoy the DeCapo-i, and want a speaker upgrade for $6K, why isn't it obvious that used or discounted L'Integral Nouveaus are the logical step up as a keeper?
Obvious alternatives to that might be:
- Zu Druids with Zu Method subwoofer ($5300 new)
- Audio Physic Virgo III new or any prior version used

I have heard the Nouveaus a number of times in different systems and I really did not think they were a substantial improvement on the DeCapos and difinitely not as good a deal - they are overpriced, IMHO. Now the Virgos - thats a very interesting speaker that I had not thought of. I heard them only once in a dealers showroom and they were excellent.
The list of possible contender keeps growing.

Thanks for the sugestions.