Born again De Capo lover...

Jonathan

« on: 9 Jan 2005, 03:04 am »
Well, two fellow AC guys, Vik and Rob, were kind enough to bring some stuff over this afternoon to listen to. Vik brought his wonderful new Audio Note DAC (my new Benchmark is nice, but that Audio Note is awfully darned smooth--man if I only had the $$). Rob brought over a couple pairs of DIY SET monos (his own and a pair of Bottlehead Paramours), and a Bottlehead Foreplay (sorry Rob, I can't remember enough about what mods you've done on the amps and preamp to comment on that).

All I can say is that I was bowled over at how good the system sounded, especially with Vik's DAC, Rob's amps, another pal's old Mac Preamp and my DCs all hooked up together. It truly was the best sound I've ever heard in my room (and I'm still amazed at how loudly 3.5 watts will play).

I also really liked the sound of my Benchmark directly into the Paramours. As such,  I'm now inspired to sell my Mac 2100 amp and go SET. I really can't imagine parting with the De Capos at this point.  

All in all, a great day of sharing music and ideas about how to get good sound on the cheap.

mcrespo71

« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2005, 04:09 am »
If you like the Audio Note Dac, may I suggest buying an Ack dAck Non-OS, which operates on the same principle as the AN and is extremely liquid and smooth.  I was honestly a bit surprised you bought the Benchmark, as it doesn't seem like a good match for the MMDCI's expressiveness at least in theory.

Michael

davejcb

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2005, 04:49 am »
I second the Ack! dAck! recommendation. I used one with my Royal Masters and Decware Zen Select SETs, pure magic.

Jonathan

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2005, 04:53 am »

If you like the Audio Note Dac, may I suggest buying an Ack dAck Non-OS, which operates on the same principle as the AN and is extremely liquid and smooth. I was honestly a bit surprised you bought the Benchmark, as it doesn't seem like a good match for the MMDCI's expressiveness at least in theory.

Don't get me wrong. The Benchmark is very clean and I like it a lot. I was just very amazed at how smooth the AN was, but without sacrificing any detail.  

Michael, I see your ACK is for sale. Can I ask what you're using instead and why you're selling?

Levi

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2005, 05:27 am »
Quote from: Jonathan

Don't get me wrong. The Benchmark is very clean and I like it a lot. I was just very amazed at how smooth the AN was, but without sacrificing any detail.  

Michael, I see your ACK is for sale. Can I ask what you're using instead and why you're selling?

He is getting the Audio Note. :lol: