DML(NXT) or Full Range "Infinite Baffle"???

actonusa

DML(NXT) or Full Range "Infinite Baffle"???
« on: 1 Feb 2018, 07:21 am »
I have gotten the house to a "Wife Acceptance Point" and am finally starting to finish off my man cave.  The cave is a 24'X40' pole barn with a 12'x12' "bump out" along a 40' wall.  All walls have been insulted and covered with steel roofing.  The trusses and rafters are open to the roof decking and I only plan to put 1" or 1 1/2" Foamular insulation on the ceiling.

I have wanted to start experimenting with the exciters from PE and thought the barn ceiling would be a good fit for a DML as the pink panels will literally disappear in the ceiling.  My thought was to have four larger panels (24"x36") and possibly an in ceiling sub.  My biggest reservation with the DML is how loud will it be and how well will it "fill the room", considering they will be ceiling mounted.

Another thought would be to mount full range drivers in a plywood panel and mount this to the rafters.  I could do either several small panels or a pseudo line array supplemented by an in ceiling sub.

In either case the attic, if you will, will remain open and essentially act as an infinite baffle.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Bendingwave

• Restricted
Re: DML(NXT) or Full Range "Infinite Baffle"???
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2018, 11:35 am »
The loudness depends on the type of exciter used and how many exciters used on each panel.....The steered high flux exiters would be my first choice for over all volume. Dayton Audio DAEX25SHF-4 Steered High Flux 25mm Exciter 20W 4 Ohm .....Dayton Audio DAEX30HESF-4 High Efficiency Steered Flux Exciter......Sub I would recommend for the DML is this> Dayton Audio LS12-44 12" Low Profile Subwoofer Dual 4 Ohm.

With the in ceiling sub you can use a high pass crossover to the DML panels to increase volume, say around 80hz and up while the sub handles the frequencies below 80hz.

BOONTOK

Re: DML(NXT) or Full Range "Infinite Baffle"???
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2018, 02:43 pm »
I'll chime in on the sub: I have an infinite baffle sub with 2 Stereo Integrity HT18 drivers.  The manifold opening into the room is covered by a vent register.  I have never been more satisfied by the low and flat bass response.

I'm also considering DMLs for my HT room.  I have a Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 system.  Instead of cutting the panels into the walls/ceiling, I would suspend them.  Also considering BMR transducers, mounted to plywood like you're talking about.

Bendingwave

• Restricted