Sophia Electric Amplifiers

Blu99Zoomer

Sophia Electric Amplifiers
« on: 24 Jan 2018, 08:35 pm »
I read an article under Jeff Day's byline talking about his experience with this brand of amplifiers.  Coincidentally, they also make vacuum tubes.  They seem to be located in the United States, in VA.  I have an interest in hearing them and hearing other folks feedback/experiences with their gear.  I don't have any first hand knowledge of tube amplifiers excepting my Signature 15 Vinnie Rossi amplifier.  I did also notice an older article on Stereophile magazine that spoke about a nice sounding amplifier, but less than expected internal wiring/setup.  Correct me if I am wrong please.  I mean no offense.  But with only those two articles, I am looking for more understanding, short of a six to eight hour drive for a listen.  They will ship to me for $50 each way so that I can listen for three weeks in my own set up.  Not a bad option.  Not cheap either.  But...Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Sophia Electric Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2018, 09:20 pm »
There was other threads on this brand in the past:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=113472.0
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2018, 10:50 pm by FullRangeMan »

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2018, 10:14 pm »
Thank you Sir!  I have some reading to do!!

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2018, 11:03 pm »
A sobering read for sure.  My search must go elsewhere it seems.  I look forward to further exploration.  Thanks again Full Range Man and all who contributed to the linked thread.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

beowulf

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2018, 08:17 am »
A sobering read for sure.  My search must go elsewhere it seems.  I look forward to further exploration.  Thanks again Full Range Man and all who contributed to the linked thread.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

Have you looked into Decware at all?  Top notch gear and build quality, made in the USA, lifetime warranty and excellent prices ... they really stand behind the equipment they build as well ~ Steve Deckert would never pull that B.S. about voiding a warranty because you left your tube amp on for more than a few hours (sic)!  My Taboo is over 5 years old and I leave it running from early morning to late night 7 days a week.

They have a great user forum as well and most of the time you can get answers to your questions within a few hours IME.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2018, 07:16 pm »
+1 on Decware they dont need preamp, mainly the Rachel SE34 it even have headphone output and VU meters to see output tube life on the run:
http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE34I.htm
My second choice is the expensive 20W Tori Jr. I like it why it had big power, no global NFB only local and 2 rectifiers tubes in PS:
http://www.decware.com/newsite/TORIIJR.html
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2018, 08:31 pm by FullRangeMan »

Pryso

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2018, 07:46 pm »
Blu, it would help for recommendations if we knew which speakers you are or will be using.  In my experience, it is most important to begin with the speakers which match my musical tastes, room, and budget.  Then work backwards by looking at amps.

For example one of the Decware might be a good answer, but that depends on the speaker match.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2018, 10:05 pm »

I have looked at Decware in the past.  Steve makes some very beautiful tube gear for sure.  I haven't heard any of it personally.  But I know that there is a big, happy following here on AC.  I honestly wasn't aware of the lifetime warranty.  Good to hear.  I will look at their offerings.

I am running Tekton Design Enzos which are a 98dB speaker, front ported, but not bi-ampable that I am aware of.  I am not considering a change in speakers at this point. 

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

Pryso

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2018, 06:35 pm »
I'm not familiar with Tektons but have a couple of friends who own them.  Believe it or not the Linear Tube Audio MZ 2 can drive speakers that efficient and reports are for a wonderful match.  I would imagine you can find several options under 20 wpc you'd be happy with.

Other suggestions include the Music Reference RM-10, Quicksilver Horn Mono, or a lower output Rogue or Tubes4HiFi model.

Something there should fit your taste and budget.

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2018, 08:29 pm »
Pryso,

I haven't turned my DAC 3 HGC/Vinnie Rossi Signature 15 combo up higher than 1-2 o'clock on any music that I play.(15 watts output Mr. Rossi said.)  Primarily I listen to jazz, classical, folk, rock, and pop.  I have a 14X20X7'4" room to listen in.  The Tektons sit along the 14' wall.  I sit a little more than half way back in the room.  I suspect that the Linear Tube Audio MZ 2 or another under 20 watt amplifier would work well for my purposes.  So many amplifiers, so little time to listen to them all...  Ideally this time around, I will get to audition them before purchase.  Maybe I should plan a summer road trip to listen to amplifiers... Hmmmm.  I know that listening in my own digs will give me the best information.  Short of that...

Thanks again for the suggestions.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

jsm71

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2018, 09:05 pm »
Blu99, I'm not sure where you live but hitting the audio shows is also one approach to hear some gear and meet the respective company staff in many cases.  Just as an example, Linear Tube Audio will be in a number of rooms at the Axpona Show in Chicago this year.  As one of their customers I can also attest that they include Tekton speakers in their list of speakers they promote as working well with their products.   

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2018, 01:54 am »
jsm71,

Thanks for that suggestion.  Getting together with like minded folks is a good way to share our collective knowledge.  I had the good fortune of attending a NY Head-Fi meet out on Long Island a couple of years ago.  There is no comparison to hands on is there? 

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2018, 05:12 am »
When I moved to Atlanta about 40 yrs ago I was lucky enough to meet some people who had a club with abt 20 people and meetings every couple of weeks.  Within a year all my NAD was gone and it was Tubes, baby.  Still is.  Later I moved to the Ann Arbor area and started a club that grew to about 15 people.  That got me into single ended amps, although right now I have a 12 watt PP amp.  If you are an organizer type, start a club and the knowledge expands exponentially.  I like audio shows, but borrowing gear and playing with it in your own system is the best way I have found to learn. 

Blu99Zoomer

« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2018, 09:04 pm »
Thanks glynnw,

I had some fun at the local audio society's meetings that I went to when I first began playing around with gear.  Like you said, a good place to learn and pick up new ideas.  I saw a welder's idea of a turntable stand.  Weighted in at over 200 pounds, had automotive paint, on its own integrated stand, and was finished so you could shave in the reflection.  Also a set of 6' tall line array ribbon speakers, lots of gear I had never even heard of, and had a chance to understand mono on a nice set up.  Borrowing gear.  Interesting idea.  I bet there was an owner who came along with it for a listen to your setup. 

I thought a couple of times about the Jeff Korneff 45 single ended amp, the Ultravalve, and a couple of other simple circuit tube amps listed in the Trading Post recently.  I need to understand, coming from higher powered solid state gear, what changes different tubes and circuits have on the sound coming out of the speakers better.  I know that it is a process and can appreciate the knowledge gained in a twice a month get together with friends and listening can bring.  Starting a group would help in that direction.  For now I am reading but, maybe...

Best Regards,

Blu99Zoomer