Magnavox EL84 SE with Omega 3i

perkster

Magnavox EL84 SE with Omega 3i
« on: 14 Jan 2018, 05:58 pm »
Hello I just purchased a Magnavox EL84 Single Ended Amp model 196-OO. It hasn't arrived yet but I just found out that it has a 4-ohm speaker tap. Will my Omega 3i at 8 ohms do well with this amp? Thanks for your time

restrav

Re: Magnavox EL84 SE with Omega 3i
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2018, 06:40 pm »
it will absolutely definitely explode if you connect them. just bury the amp in your backyard and save your family. 4 ohm taps? oh my god the horror

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2018, 08:26 pm »
Your amp/speaker pairing will be more than fine. What would be concerning is if you only had 8 ohm taps (or higher, like 16 ohms) and very low output wattage...like  a headphone amp. Even then, Omegas are so easy to drive. I've read where some folks have had success using headphone amps to drive Omegas.

doggie

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2018, 02:07 pm »
it will absolutely definitely explode if you connect them. just bury the amp in your backyard and save your family. 4 ohm taps? oh my god the horror

Do you by chance have anything informed and helpful to add?

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2018, 04:42 pm »
Do you by chance have anything informed and helpful to add?

That was incredibly helpful.  I cannot count the number of times I’ve seen amps explode following connection to the wrong tap.  These amplifiers are so finely tuned that any variation in reflected output impedance will make them intantaneously and permanently unusable.  At that point there is nothing that can be done but to scrap the amp or - as Dadbeh proposed - bury it underground to assure no one will inadvertently plug the amp in, causing a fire or explosion.

We’re talking electrons here folks.  Let’s all stay safe.

doggie

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jan 2018, 03:09 pm »
That was incredibly helpful.  I cannot count the number of times I’ve seen amps explode following connection to the wrong tap.  These amplifiers are so finely tuned that any variation in reflected output impedance will make them intantaneously and permanently unusable.  At that point there is nothing that can be done but to scrap the amp or - as Dadbeh proposed - bury it underground to assure no one will inadvertently plug the amp in, causing a fire or explosion.

We’re talking electrons here folks.  Let’s all stay safe.

Sorry. I have never heard of a tube amp literally explode just by choosing a different tap and I have owned many and been on forums since alt.rec.audio so the way Dadbeh's post was written I thought he was being sarcastic.

I am all for being safe and so would like to understand just what the danger is with connecting the 8ohm amp tap to a 4 ohm speaker. Is it by causing the amp to try to put out too much current, overheat, and have a component fail? Which component would literally explode, a cap?

Thanks.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jan 2018, 05:00 pm »
Utter nonsense to be blunt. If one connects the pos. and neg. together yes. Other than that be merry and enjoy your new amp.

charles

macdane

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jan 2018, 07:22 pm »
In 35 years of doing this, I've seen an amp explode exactly once. A college housemate plugged two sets of speakers into the "A" jacks of his ultra-cheap Akai receiver and another two sets into the "B" jacks. When he hit the power button, the receiver disappeared in a cloud of black smoke without playing a single note. Outside of extremely dumb scenarios like that, I'd like to hear some specifics about the sorts of horrible things Dadbeh and roscoe65 see potentially happening here.

Dane

seikosha

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jan 2018, 08:42 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Dadbeh and roscoe65 were joking about the whole thing.  There is no harm to be done in testing the 4 and 8 ohm taps on your tube amp.  Try them both and pick the one that sound best.

macdane

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jan 2018, 09:05 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Dadbeh and roscoe65 were joking about the whole thing.  There is no harm to be done in testing the 4 and 8 ohm taps on your tube amp.  Try them both and pick the one that sound best.

I agree with your approach, seikosha, and can’t imagine any harm coming from it.

Although I haven’t been a regular here like some of you, I humbly submit that “joking” like that (while pretending to be serious) is destructive behavior. I think there’s a time and place for humor but answering the OP’s legitimate question in that way reduces the usefulness of a forum like this and ultimately does nobody any good.

perkster

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2018, 07:58 am »
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I actually wasn't worried about the app I was more worried about my speakers thank you

roscoe65

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2018, 02:02 pm »
I agree with your approach, seikosha, and can’t imagine any harm coming from it.

Although I haven’t been a regular here like some of you, I humbly submit that “joking” like that (while pretending to be serious) is destructive behavior. I think there’s a time and place for humor but answering the OP’s legitimate question in that way reduces the usefulness of a forum like this and ultimately does nobody any good.

I don't think you're going to last long around here.  Humor and/or facetious answers tend to be self-regulating.  If I were offended by every joke on an Internet forum (including this one) I would be spending all my time watch reruns of Matlock.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2018, 03:32 pm »
I cannot comment on the combo with Omega speakers, but I did use a Maggie console rescue for 10 years with some OB speakers I built.  I'd love to have tried it with the Omega's I once borrowed, but at that time didn't have the amp.

Great sound.  Stupendous for the $, even after investing in retubing with Jim McShane.

I really liked the SEP sound of that EL84 amp. 

No explosions to speak of, other than my mind at times!   :lol:

macdane

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2018, 05:14 pm »
I don't think you're going to last long around here.  Humor and/or facetious answers tend to be self-regulating.  If I were offended by every joke on an Internet forum (including this one) I would be spending all my time watch reruns of Matlock.

Don't kid yourself into thinking I was offended. I was merely pointing out that a forum like this has the potential to be extremely helpful. Facetious responses to a legitimate question from a guy who's even less active here than I've been (especially when delivered straight-faced) undermines that usefulness, however fun it may seem at the time. That's all.