First Sennheisers that I Kept

ajzepp

First Sennheisers that I Kept
« on: 20 Dec 2017, 12:11 pm »
I've had horrible luck with Sennheisers over the years. I know that's odd, because most people love them. I wish I could put my finger on it, but while I really liked the HD800, I couldn't justify the purchase when I already had some T1s (which I felt were sonically similar, with the HD800s more resolving of detail). I didn't much care for the HD700s. I absolutely HATED the Amperiors. And if not for discovering Grado as my 2nd headphone ever, the HD558 (I think that's what the model was) almost ruined me for all other headphones.

That being said...I LOVE the HD6xx. I have tried several times to get in on the Massdrop buy, but each time I was too late. Finally they just blew it up and allowed thousands to order, and that was my chance. I've had them for the past week and probably have about 30hrs on them. I like to use a rotation, with each headphone sort of getting assigned to certain tasks. The 6xx is definitely a multitasker - fantastic with both music and movies.

I don't know who it is at Massdrop that handles the tuning specs, but he must have very similar ears as myself. I hated the piercing highs of the AKG Q701s and wasn't eager to try another. But the Massdrop 7xx is fantastic. I think the way Massdrop handles these "xx" versions is very smart. I hope all involved are making a killing, because I'd love to continue seeing these sort of collaborations continue into the future.

Hope everyone is well.

nature boy

Re: First Sennheisers that I Kept
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2017, 12:48 pm »
Glad to read your positive impressions.  My pair will be opened  on Christmas.  Looking forward to listening through my system.

NB
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2017, 02:50 pm by nature boy »

AKLegal

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2017, 05:00 pm »
Wow, its odd that you had not at least heard a pair of the HD650 or HD600. THE HD700s are the worst.  The HD800s just are not my style but I can atleast see why some people love them. 

The HD650 scales incredibly well.  What amp are you using?

The K7xx is a bit better than the Q701.  Right now I own the HD650 and the K7xx.

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2017, 04:14 am »
Glad to read your positive impressions.  My pair will be opened  on Christmas.  Looking forward to listening through my system.

NB

Even without knowing your preferences, I'd be very surprised if you didn't love 'em. Especially at this price point, it's a whole lotta headphone. They sound beautifully balanced, robust (but not bloated) in the low end, and lots of detail. On top of that, I find them pretty comfortable. An all around solid buy.

ajzepp

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2017, 04:17 am »
Wow, its odd that you had not at least heard a pair of the HD650 or HD600. THE HD700s are the worst.  The HD800s just are not my style but I can atleast see why some people love them. 

The HD650 scales incredibly well.  What amp are you using?

The K7xx is a bit better than the Q701.  Right now I own the HD650 and the K7xx.

Agreed. I've had many people say that, and now I understand why. I just had soured on Senns and by then I had discovered Audezes and Beyer T1s, which I absolutely love, and I just didn't really see the point in giving Sennheiser another shot.

I'm driving them with a Meier Corda Classic. That's probably playing a significant role, because I know this amp drives the bejeezus out of the AKGs...and I know Jan Meier loves Sennheisers, so it doesn't surprise me that Im enjoying this pairing so much. They're getting all the current they could possibly want, with plenty of headroom.

dB Cooper

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2017, 04:36 am »
Ahhh, those are quite interesting. And once again, a very nice price  :thumb: