What else to look at after Schiit Jotenheim w/DAC option or JDS Labs Element

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
I need RCA or XLR outs to control powered speakers...don't care to use adapters.Huck

iDSD Micro has RCA outputs and a 1/4th inch headphone jack.  https://www.amazon.com/iFi-iDSD-Black-Label-Headphone/dp/B01MTNK3ZT

Huck

iDSD Micro has RCA outputs and a 1/4th inch headphone jack.  https://www.amazon.com/iFi-iDSD-Black-Label-Headphone/dp/B01MTNK3ZT
You are correct...my mistake.Huck

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
I owned a $500 Emotiva DC-1 (DAC/preamp/headphone amp) for several months.  It has USB, coax, optical, BNC, and AES/EBU digital with one RCA stereo inputs.  It has one RCA stereo, one XLR stereo, and two 1/8 inch headphone outputs.  Digital sample rates from 16/44.1 to 24/192 (no DSD/DXD).  Solid metal remote and digital display included.  8.5"W x 10"D x 1.75"H.

Introduced in 2015, my first foray into 'modern' DACs.  Sound was quite detailed but somewhat harsh.  Reliability has reportedly been an issue.  I moved up to a DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core that added DSP, better sound, but tighter back panel, similar size, and crummy remote.

Huck

Regarding the two switches in front on the Black Label,are they used to alter the sound coming out the heaphone outs,or do they also work when using the RCA outs when powering speakers,as this would be my main use,to be placed on my desktop and running to my PC via usb.
Is the battery replaceable?  Thanks,Huck

roscoeiii

Regarding the two switches in front on the Black Label,are they used to alter the sound coming out the heaphone outs,or do they also work when using the RCA outs when powering speakers,as this would be my main use,to be placed on my desktop and running to my PC via usb.

Not sure. But it is offered for sale by a number of places with a good return policy. Try it out and decide for yourself.

Tyson

They do.  I keep mine switched off because the unit sounds best without them. 

Also, it only runs on battery when the USB cable is not plugged in.  As long as you have the USB plugged in, it runs off the USB power source (and charges off it, too). 

Huck

They do.  I keep mine switched off because the unit sounds best without them. 

Also, it only runs on battery when the USB cable is not plugged in.  As long as you have the USB plugged in, it runs off the USB power source (and charges off it, too).

Are you using yours as a "portable" unit ,or "stationary"?...mine probably won't leave my desk-top.Thanks,Huck

Tyson

Are you using yours as a "portable" unit ,or "stationary"?...mine probably won't leave my desk-top.Thanks,Huck

I use mine as a DAC in my main setup, so definitely not portable.  I will say this - it fits right at home in my main system (and keeps up very nicely with my $20k main speakers). 

Huck

The most important issue: How much?

I would not buy any of those two.
Please explain why you would not buy either of the two?.Thanks,Huck

Huck

I own the JDS Labs Element and it is an outstanding product and JDS Labs has great customer service as well. The owner has always answered my questions right away.
A question on the Element when using the RCA outs...is the volume from these outputs controlled from the main volume control or are they controlled via computer? Thanks,Huck

maty

Schiit. More problems with his products. The last, Schiit Vidar and the audiophile speakers cables. DACs, problems with the USB, bad designed again. Google.

Master Index for Audio Hardware Reviews

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/master-index-for-audio-hardware-reviews.2079/

Computer Activity Can Impact DAC Performance (Schiit BiFrost DAC)

-> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/computer-activity-can-impact-dac-performance.22/

maty

JDSLabs.

Review and Measurements of JDSLabs ODAC Rev. B Compared to Fiio E10K

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-jdslabs-odac-rev-b-compared-to-fiio-e10k.2068/

[IMG] https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/j-test-comparison-png.9572

Summary

From pure objective point of view, the winner here is the Topping D30. It is cheaper than the ODAC, has far better feature set including support for such things as DSD. In that regard, I can't recommend the ODAC. Maybe at the time Nwavguy thought of it, it was good but time has past and newer entrants even from budget sources easily outperform it.

Likewise, the Fiio E10K easily outpaces the JDSLabs ODAC because of its inclusion of headphone amplifier. It is also half the price. So another recommended choice! If you need a little DAC and headphone for very little money, the Fiio E10K Olympus 2 is my current choice.

I have and old ODAC but with some cheap tweaks made by me. It sounds much better than original.

maty

[ Deleted ]

Sorry, I thought JDS Labs Element only had USB power -that was my complaint- but it also allows you to add external 16 Vac.

[IMG] https://www.jdslabs.com/images/products/151/full/element-double-rca-rear2.jpg

Beresford is more cheaper, includes external power (improvable off course and 12 Vdc -> 15 Vdc) and it uses a FPGA. I know, DSP is more complete.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dac+fpga
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2017, 11:15 am by maty »

Huck

Regarding the control of the RCA outs on the Element..

"Please keep in mind that Element provides true RCA Line-Outputs, meaning RCA output volume is adjusted at the PC and not the headphone amplifier knob"...JDS Labs. That killed it for me.  Huck

maty

The only thing that could be improved, at that price, in Beresford:

Low jitter Crystal controlled receiver chip

The Caiman SEG uses a crystal controlled receiver with one of the lowest jitter performances possible from a receiver chip. At 50ps few other DACs can match or surpass the Caiman SEG in terms of jitter rejection.

0.1ps or 1ps  would be better. Having everything it offers at that price ...

[Manual, PDF] http://www.beresford.me/downloads/TC-7535_R4.pdf

Huck

Gone cheap...just bought Schiit Fulla 2. Hope I didn't go too cheap!! RCA out mute when headphone plugged in,variable RCA outs controlled by volume control.Thanks,everyone! Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2017, 09:34 pm by Huck »

Huck

I waited a week to get this Schiit Fulla2 and hooked it up and right off it had a dead right channel on the rear variable output...Bummer!
Headphone output worked fine...I guess Schiit happens! Now back it goes to the U.S.....don't think I will be accepting a replacement....just a full refund.!
Maybe they should check this Schiit for full operation before it goes out!That's my last Schiit!.Huck :evil:
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2017, 01:56 pm by Huck »

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Semi-related to your search:

Was on the micro - iTube 2 tour here at Audio Circle last April because I was looking for some tube magic.  Due to flooding of my room only had three days with it, but neither my audio friend not I were impressed.  1st, don't need a buffer in my system (few systems should have an impedance mismatch).  2nd, no tube magic with very little difference in the settings.  3rd, no discernible 3D effect in my setup.  4th, the bass boost was way too much in my setup (with stand mounts or floor standers).  5th, of course no balanced design, input, or output.

Still on the search for tube magic, so in June ordered Schiit Freya (balanced tube preamp) and Gungnir Multi-Bit (also balanced design).  Made 10% of my Redbook library sound better, but 30% sound worse (with expensive NOS tubes added) compared to my DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core DAC/preamp/DSP.  Tried all three pieces in every possible combination (being retired I have the time).  So I sent them back for the 95% refund.  Note that the street price of the DSPeaker is less than half the Schiit pair with no tube hassles.

Huck

I finally ended up buying a NOS Benchmark DAC1 USB,so hopefully that will keep me happy for a while...next,better headphones....seems there is always something next?! Huck