Roon on Synology server

santacore

Roon on Synology server
« on: 5 Dec 2017, 04:04 am »
Has anyone successfully run Roon directly off their Synology server? From what I understand it's possible, but when I tried, I just got an error message that it couldn't install. I'm running a DS716+II with I believe the current firmware. Any help/input would be appreciated. Thanks.  John

lokie

Re: Roon on Synology server
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2017, 01:52 pm »
I haven't tried it but I tried to install ROON on a fairly fast Mac Mini with an SSD and tons of RAM and wasted a lot of time. The ROON tech help wasn't much help, so, i don't advise listening to them for advise.

My suspicion is that it will be frustrating experience. ROON is a processing PIG! Spend your money on an appropriate core computer and you'll be much happier. It took me months to figure this out and I finally got there w a dedicated modern PC and processor.... it's awesome and couldn't be happier at this point.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2017, 03:55 pm »
I have Roon installed on a Synology 1513+ successfully.  That model is underpowered as far as Roon is concerned.  But the problems would only come in if I set DSP or other significant processing as active.

Just in case.....  You have to make sure you are using the version of Roon modified especially for Synology:  https://blog.rieke.tv/roon-server-on-nas/.

And you can get more direct help at: https://community.roonlabs.com/c/roon/qnap-synology

.......Peter

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2017, 04:04 pm »
I tried it on my DS1815+ when the release first came out, had a few problems with installation and stability, but it seemed to perform ok. I'm sure they've worked the kinks out by now.

I moved on to a dedicated NUC with the Roon ROCK Linux image and it has been completely stable, very easy to manage, and is supported directly by Roon.

mikeeastman

« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2017, 06:22 pm »
I also have it on a dedicated NUC with the Roon ROCK Linux image. The SQ blows away everything I tried before. My only complaint is that is so easy to use my wife has no problem using it, before she had to get me to play music on my cherished   system.    :lol:

santacore

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2017, 10:47 pm »
It sounds like I should just stick with my Auralic Aries server and skip trying to convert to a Roon based system. Oh well.....

Thanks to all for the input.

TomS

« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2017, 11:26 pm »
It sounds like I should just stick with my Auralic Aries server and skip trying to convert to a Roon based system. Oh well.....

Thanks to all for the input.
Oh no, Roon is soooooo worth it. If you have a PC or Mac anywhere on your home network, just put Roon Core there as a trial and learn. It will work fine and the Aries does Roon playback very nicely. Just control it from a tablet, phone, or the PC or Mac you installed the Core on.

olson_jr

« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2017, 10:30 pm »
Oh no, Roon is soooooo worth it. If you have a PC or Mac anywhere on your home network, just put Roon Core there as a trial and learn. It will work fine and the Aries does Roon playback very nicely. Just control it from a tablet, phone, or the PC or Mac you installed the Core on.

I have to agree with the so worth it part.

The only bad thing is that I never have to get up out of my chair when listening.