The Big Sick / Wow!!

stlrman

The Big Sick / Wow!!
« on: 30 Oct 2017, 12:16 pm »
I just watched this Blu-ray, and I must say this is one of the best romantic comedies I have seen in a very long time! Great story and chemistry between the leads! This is based on a true story. It's fun and oh so charming!! :thumb:

A solid 9 out of 10 stars.
98% on RT

"Based on the real-life courtship between Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon, THE BIG SICK tells the story of Pakistan-born aspiring comedian Kumail (Nanjiani), who connects with grad student Emily (Kazan) after one of his standup sets. However, what they thought would be just a one-night stand blossoms into the real thing, which complicates the life that is expected of Kumail by his traditional Muslim parents. When Emily is beset with a mystery illness, it forces Kumail to navigate the medical crisis with her parents, Beth and Terry (Holly Hunter and Ray Romano) who he's never met, while dealing with the emotional tug-of-war between his family and his heart. THE BIG SICK is directed by Michael Showalter"

brother love

Re: The Big Sick / Wow!!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2017, 12:42 pm »
Thanks for the review. The wife & I really enjoy Nanjiani in Silicon Valley & Portlandia. Not a fan of romcoms, but we will have to check out The Big Sick.

stlrman

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2017, 03:48 pm »
From AVS review:
"I absolutely love this film. The narrative is beautifully crafted, speaking from the heart, as it delves into the intricacies of new relationships, the complexities of cultural expectations, and how life’s choices can come full circle. The plot and their associative subplots are set to a series of “moments” each playing an integral role in the shaping of the overall context, with the characters neatly folded in, then peeled back like the layers of an onion. The dialog, situations, and familial encounters are pitch perfect, maintaining a refreshing balance that adhere to the story’s various themes, with spot on levity, and touching drama/romance, that never feels gratuitous.

The Big Sick features an excellent cast ensemble, that adds an enriching element to the proceedings. I loved every bit as much during this second viewing. It is among my favorite films of the year and comes highly recommended."
 :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2017, 06:05 pm »
My gf really loved it. I am a huge fan of Kumail, that dude is funny as hell. Look forward to watching it at some point.