Stranger Things 2

wushuliu

Stranger Things 2
« on: 6 Nov 2017, 06:10 pm »
Six episodes in and so far this season is FAR, FAR better than the first IMO. Loving the show right now. The kids are OUTSTANDING now. Performances up several notches. Direction is tight thanks to some big names getting involved. They've dialed down the heavy-handed Spielberg/King homages that I think hobbled the first season and now they've focused on just making ST a show in its own right. Lots of little nods to stuff like The Thing, Alien/Aliens, etc. etc. but not overdone.

Best part are the kids though. They are so much more relaxed on screen, the chemistry is genuine this time around, and there are some breakout performances.

Didn't think they could do it, was pretty jaded about the first season. They nailed this one.

WGH

Re: Stranger Things 2
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2017, 06:39 pm »
How did you manage to stop at Episode 6? The action ramps up so I had to binge through 6, 7, 8, and 9.
An excellent season 2.  :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2017, 07:09 pm »
Was wondering if anybody was going to mention season 2. I enjoyed it as well. The kid that plays Will was given a chance to really show what he can do, thought he was excellent as well as everybody else.

The Netflix show "Beyond Stranger Things" had the writers,director, and the actors all talk about the season and heard the writers say they wanted this season to not only build on the first but leave room for more seasons to come. So that's good to know, I'm sure Netflix has the money to keep it going.

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2017, 07:19 pm »
My daughter finished both seasons last week.  She loved them.  I have still not seen a single episode, but it is on my list.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2017, 07:41 pm »
It was a good show but the ending was weak, literally a deus-ex-machina... this could have been better but I'll definitely watch season 3.   

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2017, 08:09 pm »
I think the first season is an utter masterpiece. I have yet to defile my opinion of it with the second season so far... It probably will happen but it's very risky for me.

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2017, 08:17 pm »
I think the first season is an utter masterpiece. I have yet to defile my opinion of it with the second season so far... It probably will happen but it's very risky for me.

I'll be curious to see what you think. I'm guessing your'e not going to like it, or not like it as much. There is a special something about the first season that I think isn't there in season 2. I still very much enjoyed it though.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 6 Nov 2017, 08:29 pm »
Ya I figured.

It's funny because all the "homage" that was paid in the 1st season was interesting to me in that I enjoyed it for the first time ever. I basically despise all the movies they paid homage too. It was like for the first time all those efforts made something good.

Also, I believe restraints generally make the best ANYTHING IN LIFE. Only when there is opposition are we forced to be truly creative and try even harder. I'm not aware of anything that is no-holds-barred by any limitation ever, that is the "best" of anything. At least not once you experience it, as opposed to look at it on paper. - that alone is a reason I'm fearful of the new one.

genjamon

« Reply #8 on: 6 Nov 2017, 10:06 pm »
I'm with Folsom and Tommy - Season 1 was a masterpiece and by far better than Season 2 IMO.  Didn't stop me and my wife from binge watching the entire last half of Season 2 on Saturday night, though...  Still very entertaining, just not for me on the same level of Season 1. 

And on an audiophile note, I found the soundtrack on Season 1 to be one of its biggest strengths - whoever was matching soundtrack to scenes was masterful there.  Season 2 seemed to drop the ball with matching songs to create the magic in scenes. 

I was also pretty disappointed in the "sister" storyline with "Elle".  Seemed pretty gimmicky and there could have been a much more integral connection there to the overall story/plot. 

Ok, rant over - still a great show, and really looking forward to next seasons.

Odal3

« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2017, 04:13 pm »
What a brilliant show this is. It is the atmosphere / moode that is created.

Hope they only make one more season and then stop so they don't overdo it. The Chicago trip felt like a stretch but other than that I thought season 2 was really good.

2bigears

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2017, 05:03 pm »
 :D can't stop watching..... very very good.    :D

rodge827

« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2017, 09:43 pm »
Just finished up binge watching both seasons and was blown away! Loved that it was set in 1984 and the Duffer’s captured the time perfectly! I’m not a big sci-fi guy but thought this was a lot of fun. BTW Dustin is from our sleepy hamlet here in South Jersey...good kid went to school with my granddaughter till she moved out of district.