Can OB Bass have "impact"?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Can OB Bass have "impact"?
« Reply #20 on: 29 Oct 2017, 09:48 pm »
Also, what are the settings you have for phase on your subs?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 29 Oct 2017, 11:17 pm »
On my Carver Amazing the bass phase control allow to range from a very soft bass to a dry bass, a very useful feature to match a wide range of musical program.
It was a really impressive feature from Bob Carver :thumb:

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #22 on: 6 Nov 2017, 10:18 pm »
After a weekend of tinkering with the bass., I am ready to do other things for a while.  My system now sounds better overall, mostly due to turning the bass up a bit.  I am still not sure of how the phase control is effective - I hear no change as I fiddle with it.  But I am sure of one thing.  The DSpeaker and QOL devices I have supplying DSP for my system stay.  I turned everything off for a day and then slowly switched them back in.  These may not technically improve things, but I like'em and that is all I care about.  The QOL in particular gives me a super wide soundstage, well outside the speakers.  The makers of it apparently couldn't sell these at $4K each and closed their business, selling their remaining inventory to Underwood Wally, who closed them out at $1K, which is what I paid.  They are all gone. If someone could take this technology and sell it for $1K, they'd sell a boatload of them.  Thanks to everyone for their advice.  I am paying attention to you guys and will refer back to this topic as I try to improve things.  My bass ain't slammin' yet, but it is much improved.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #23 on: 7 Nov 2017, 01:16 am »
My bass ain't slammin' yet, but it is much improved.

That’s good news. As for slam, that’s really a function of the amplifier. And FWIW, I’ve never heard a tube amp offer up slam the way some SS amps can - not by a long shot. I’ve recently acquired a pair of DAC Cherry Maraschinos, and they are the first amps I’ve owned that makes drums sound like real drums with serious hard hitting impact. And yes, this is with Spatial OBs. :green:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #24 on: 7 Nov 2017, 01:17 am »
Delete - I’m pretty sure I hit modify but when I hit save it duplicated the post.  :scratch:

danvprod

« Reply #25 on: 7 Nov 2017, 02:49 pm »
Play "Soliders" from the Stranger Things 2 soundtrack and let us know if that has impact. On my Super Vs it certainly does. I could only imagine what it would sound like on Hal's 6x12 arrays or even the 3x12 arrays.