New Chord 2Qute?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
New Chord 2Qute?
« on: 26 Oct 2017, 11:57 am »
Any news about an updated 2Qute?

Tried to buy a used one (previous model) a few years back but a needed driver wasn't available.  Have always been a fan of the FGPA approach.  I'm aware that the 2Qute uses the Hugo FGPA and no longer requires a driver for Mac's.  Also aware of a new Hugo 2 being available at roughly twice the price.

Noted too that for some reason the current 2Qute is available from Amazon UK for $1000, but $1300 on this side of the pond.  Any idea why?

Tried a Gungnir Multi-Bit earlier this year, it made my very best CD's sound better but my bottom 30% sound worse.  Thus my renewed interest in Chord DACs.

Nick77

Re: New Chord 2Qute?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2017, 12:05 pm »
Any news about an updated 2Qute?

Tried to buy a used one (previous model) a few years back but a needed driver wasn't available.  Have always been a fan of the FGPA approach.  I'm aware that the 2Qute uses the Hugo FGPA and no longer requires a driver for Mac's.  Also aware of a new Hugo 2 being available at roughly twice the price.

Noted too that for some reason the current 2Qute is available from Amazon UK for $1000, but $1300 on this side of the pond.  Any idea why?

Tried a Gungnir Multi-Bit earlier this year, it made my very best CD's sound better but my bottom 30% sound worse.  Thus my renewed interest in Chord DACs.

The US model has both a importer and the retailer who marks them up. These are going used for stupid prices on such a good DAC. I recently sold mine and took a beating, such is life when the upgrade bug hits. :)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: New Chord 2Qute?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2017, 12:58 pm »
As DAC technology moves quickly so does depreciation.  As I recall the Qute EX I tried buying was $1800 MSRP and was listed at $800, so a $500 price drop for the next model up in less than 2 years.  Yes, you pay a heavy price to be on the leading edge in audio, but especially with DAC's. 

As DAVE and Hugo have been recently updated was wondering if 2Qute is due for an upgrade (with possible discounts available on the current models).  (Don't find discounts on Chord DAC's and buying recently discontinued DAC's seem to make the most financial sense.)  And they seem to have a loyal customer following.

So can we Yanks legally avoid the U.S. markups and buy direct from Europe?  I'd be glad to shop locally, but not worth a 500 mile round trip to my nearest Chord B&M dealer.