How to use spdif connection for input?

jrebman

How to use spdif connection for input?
« on: 25 Sep 2017, 06:03 pm »
I'm doing some experimenting here and I'm wondering how to use the coax input -- nothing seems to be coming through the headphones when I use the spdif coax input.

Do I need to set something up in a special way, in a special order, or what? Also, which input is the coax input? (I'm blind and can't read the writing on the amp.) BTW, this is the iDSD black label.

My main system is down for maybe another week so I can't test the spdif connection there. iDSD is fully charged. Source is a smallgreencomputer usb -> spdif converter which seems to have power and is working. Furthermore, when I select the ipad as the output device, it works fine (sound comes through the ipad, so I know the server is working correctly.)

Thanks for any help,

Jim

srb

Re: How to use iDSD BL S/PDIF connection for input?
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2017, 06:19 pm »
On the rear panel (end without volume knob) the USB input is on the right, the two middle RCAs are analog line outputs and the RCA jack on the left is the combo S/PDIF input/output.

Input selection is auto-sensing, so for it to be used as an S/PDIF coaxial input, no USB signal can be present at the USB input port.  If a USB signal is present, then the jack functions as a S/PDIF output.

Steve

jrebman

Re: How to use spdif connection for input?
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2017, 07:47 pm »
Thanks, Steve.

I tried that and it didn't work, so obviously there is a problem elsewhere.

-- Jim