Jimi Hendrix Documentary on PBS- Must see!

dB Cooper

Jimi Hendrix Documentary on PBS- Must see!
« on: 19 Sep 2017, 10:27 pm »
In celebration of the 50th anniversary of 'Are You Experienced?' (anybody else feel old when they hear that?), PBS has issued a 90 minute documentary on Jimi Hendrix as part of its 'American Masters' series. Lots of interviews with his contemporaries (McCartney describing hearing him for the first time in London is fascinating), concert footage (including Monterey). Highly recommended. Break out your tie-dye T- shirt and that lava lamp you've still got out in the garage.

Here is the link.

ctviggen

Re: Jimi Hendrix Documentary on PBS- Must see!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2017, 10:01 am »
My wife and I watched this some time ago.  All I remember is that Jimi practiced all the time and had several girlfriends.  It was interesting, but I didn't get much out of it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Jimi Hendrix Documentary on PBS- Must see!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2017, 11:47 am »
In the 70s there are strong rumours Hendrix was to be a member from Emerson,Lake & Palmer but for some reason it dont happen what was a loss for everybody.
So it would be HELP or ELPH.

jonbee

how details of his early life in Seattle made their way into his lyrics.
The big question that never gets answered in this and other biopics is what creates genius. Jimi was a well mannered, shy poor kid from a supportive multi-racial, quiet community here in Seattle, a mostly white city. Thus he was always comfortable around whites, either in his band, with fans or women. He had no problem listening to whites such as Dylan for inspiration, as well as black music in all its forms. Otherwise pretty unremarkable. With little musical background, he nonetheless harbored an unbridled musical imagination and an unquenchable drive to express it. Where did that come from?
I still listen to his music quite a lot, and marvel at the ideas he spun out. His "water suite" from Electric Ladyland is still one of the most imaginative pieces of music of the modern age, IMO, and it really came out of nowhere. His intro refrain "Maybe I  can groove on a rainy day" is a very Seattle-ish sentiment!
And as Neil Young said, when it comes to guitar playing, no one else is even in the same building.
How does that happen?

« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2017, 05:21 pm by jonbee »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
How does that happen?
Jimi already born ready as guitarist, James Brown dismiss him from his band cause he was calling too much attention on guitar.