LS 6 Question(s)

SoCalWJS

LS 6 Question(s)
« on: 4 Sep 2017, 09:03 pm »
Help!

Took the bases off of my LS6's a while ago to move them around. Now I can't find the bag that I put the screws into that attach the bases to the speakers.

What size are they? (So I can order more)

Danny - do you still sell them?

Also, a related question......

Danny, I installed the Platinum Sonicaps into these crossovers after I purchased them through you. I know my skills are not very good and I've always been concerned I didn't do a very good job, or worse yet, did something wrong. (they work and sound OK, but......)

If I ship the crossovers to you, can you go over them and make sure that it's correct? What would it cost to have them re-assembled (assuming all the parts are in good shape)? Is there anything that could be done to improve them?

Danny Richie

Re: LS 6 Question(s)
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2017, 03:16 am »
I can't help you on the screws. I really don't know what size they are.

But if you send me your crossovers I'll go over them and make sure all is good.

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2017, 03:32 am »
I don't  know exactly how the   bases were attached to the cabients... but, if they used  a  threaded insert in the base of the cabinet, you may be able to  unscrew  one and take it  down to your local hardware shop.   
If that's not possible,  try and get a rough idea  of size.. you  could always pick up a couple different bolt sizes/thread sizes  and figure it out pretty easily ( I'd start with a  1/4" ,  a 5/16, and a 3/8" (all course thread) and see  if any are close.... you  can dial it in from there.

If you happen to have any of Danny's  floor spikes, they are an  8mm x1.25mm  thread size... might be a good place  to start and   get an idea of  bolt size.....

jay

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2017, 03:10 pm »
I can't help you on the screws. I really don't know what size they are.

But if you send me your crossovers I'll go over them and make sure all is good.
Guess I'll figure it out somehow. I'm trying to figure out how I want to anchor these speakers down. They are now right at the edge of a rug on top of hardwood floors. If I spike them they'll go right through to the wood, so I need to get some discs that can support their weight long term. Problem is that when I put the X Bases back on, they'll have at least one corner off of the rug and I have to figure out how to keep them level yet keep the floor treatments looking good (or at least OK  :green:)

I would like to send the x-over's for a once over. May take me a bit to come up with some wrapping/shipping supplies. Probably next week some time (lot's going on for the next week or so).

Mailing address on the front page of the website?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2017, 03:12 pm »
I don't  know exactly how the   bases were attached to the cabients... but, if they used  a  threaded insert in the base of the cabinet, you may be able to  unscrew  one and take it  down to your local hardware shop.   
If that's not possible,  try and get a rough idea  of size.. you  could always pick up a couple different bolt sizes/thread sizes  and figure it out pretty easily ( I'd start with a  1/4" ,  a 5/16, and a 3/8" (all course thread) and see  if any are close.... you  can dial it in from there.

If you happen to have any of Danny's  floor spikes, they are an  8mm x1.25mm  thread size... might be a good place  to start and   get an idea of  bolt size.....

jay
Don't think I do. I got a bag of spikes that came with the Super V's, but I think they are a completely different size. Worth a shot though.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2017, 03:27 pm »
It depends on where your LS6 was made from, China or Colombia.

If it's from Colombia then it is 3mm holes (8 of them).

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2017, 03:42 pm »
Mailing address on the front page of the website?

Yeah, that will get them to me.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2017, 03:56 pm »
It depends on where your LS6 was made from, China or Colombia.

If it's from Colombia then it is 3mm holes (8 of them).
Yup, Columbia (I think. AV123, but for some reason I have doubts. Have to take a look at my shipping box next time I'm at the SoCal house. For some reason I think China is on the box.  :scratch:)

I'll hold off. Probably passing through tomorrow (gadzooks I'm sick of  that drive. I hatehatehatehate Pasadena & the 210)

Thanks Hugh. May see you in Anaheim at the Show.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2017, 03:58 pm »

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2017, 04:13 pm »
Yup, Columbia (I think. AV123, but for some reason I have doubts. Have to take a look at my shipping box next time I'm at the SoCal house. For some reason I think China is on the box.  :scratch:)

I'll hold off. Probably passing through tomorrow (gadzooks I'm sick of  that drive. I hatehatehatehate Pasadena & the 210)

Thanks Hugh. May see you in Anaheim at the Show.

Sure thing J.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2017, 05:06 pm »
You can use something like a Thread Detective to determine the size and pitch of either a nut or bolt. These come in both Imperial (SAE) and metric models.

Mike

Skiman

« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2017, 06:05 pm »
Don't rely on the label on your cabinets for the manufacturer. My (AV123) LS9s cabinets are labeled made in Columbia, but I know for a fact that my cabinets were made by Lucid Acoustics in Utah. Seems AV123 just used whatever labels they had lying around at the time. I picked up the finished speakers myself from AV123 in Longmont Colorado.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #12 on: 6 Sep 2017, 10:15 pm »
Boxes do say China fwiw. Guess trial and error.  :(

SoCalWJS

« Reply #13 on: 6 Sep 2017, 10:24 pm »
You can use something like a Thread Detective to determine the size and pitch of either a nut or bolt. These come in both Imperial (SAE) and metric models.

Mike
Nice. A bit pricey. Wonder if my local Hardware store would let me borrow one for about an hour :green:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #14 on: 6 Sep 2017, 10:42 pm »
Boxes do say China fwiw. Guess trial and error.  :(

It might just be the same.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #15 on: 7 Sep 2017, 05:39 am »
PM me your address and I'll send you a thread pitch gauge and other bolt measuring devices.  Please return them when you are done.

Steve.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #16 on: 7 Sep 2017, 12:30 pm »
PM me your address and I'll send you a thread pitch gauge and other bolt measuring devices.  Please return them when you are done.

Steve.

:bounce: :thumb:

PM coming