Salk Silk Towers and Bryston B 135 Integrated Amplifier-- Any Experience of Thou

Joe Frances

Being guided by Jim's advice (admonition?) to use at least 100 watts of power to drive the Silks, I have been shopping around for something with the power and the features I am looking for in an integrated.  Although I like the Wells Majestic; and the McIntosh 5200, the Bryston B 135 has a lot of what I want.  Also despite the cliches and streotype of years ago, I don't find Bryston products that I have been able to hear hard or bright.  In fact the new BCD 3 CD player is very natural and  analogue sounding.  It is a beautiful thing even if it doesn't support SACDs.  So, as soon as possible I am going to try out the 135 watt integrated, but I won't be able to pair it anywhere with the Silks, that's for sure.  Does anyone hear use the Silks with this amp, or other Bryston products?

What I am looking for is a totally non-fatiguing, natural sound that draws you in, not drives you (me) away with overly aggressive noise. 

Thanks,

Joe

will mac

You might want to check out the Vidar amp from Schiit- reading alot of good things.. Extremely good value

PierreB

I have a 2B SST for 12 years and I am very happy with it. Non fatiguing at all. Plus you have a 20 years warranty.  :thumb:
You will receive lots of recommandations but if you can, try it in your room with your speakers.
Best luck in your reseach.

Big Red Machine

Nothing wrong with any of those brands but you should buy the Wells hands down. My Innamorata would be very hard to replace and the integrated unit is a little brother. Very smooth and was used at this year's Axpona with Salk very nicely as well. A very good match sonically.

Joe Frances

Nothing wrong with any of those brands but you should buy the Wells hands down. My Innamorata would be very hard to replace and the integrated unit is a little brother. Very smooth and was used at this year's Axpona with Salk very nicely as well. A very good match sonically.

I like it too, but no features; no headphone jack; no phono stage; small production and no "history".  If the B 135 is non-fatiguing as the new BCD 3 CD player and the wonderful DAC, I see a good option to buy the Bryston "suite" with remote and swing out.

Joe Frances

Well, last weekend I demoed Bryston electronics with the newe Dynaudio Special Forty (40th anniversary model) speaker, which are stunning to look  at, but the mix was not very good in my book. The Bryston was ok, good, in reproduction, but with the Dynaudio it was cold and generic sounding.  When we swapped in the Prima Luna 45 watt (I think) tube integrated it was so much better. In fact it was excellent. Bryston might be good with a speaker that is a bit too warm, but with an exacting speaker with a lot of detail Bryston can be too much.  I get better more appealing sound out of my desk top Audioengine speakers.  That's my problem with buying new monitors.  Things sound really good in reviews but in person it can be a whole other ball game.  My wife thinks I like listening to speakers not buying them.  That's not true, the problem is that I am looking for something very special, and it is almost impossible to hear the right mix.  In the Salk family, the only mix that seems right at this point is the Exotica 3 monitors with the Raven Audio Nighthawk LE tube amp.  I bet that would be a killer combo, but who knows?!