Klipschorns

blazin

Klipschorns
« on: 19 Jul 2017, 06:54 pm »

I feel confident that if you are considering these you know what they are and about their 70+ year heritage in the audio industry. They were in 1946 a revolutionary speaker and even now compete with some of the very best speakers out there. These speakers sound absolutely fantastic at low volumes (which I typically listen at) but in reality these babies are made for BIG dynamic sound.With their 105dB sensitivity these speakers will put you in the moment, at the concert like very few others can. Regardless if you prefer the intimate jazz club setting, rock concert at the arena or that large orchestral performance you are transported there in an instant.

These speakers came to me in less than perfect shape and me being a woodworker and "never satisfied with mediocrity" type of guy decided to "improve" upon my new found treasure :)  Now a lot of guys out there will modify these speakers to the point that they are not truly even Klipshorns anymore. I wanted to keep the signature Klipschorn sound as they were intended to be listened to so with that the only thing that I have upgraded "sound wise" are the old dried out electrolytic caps with new Gen 1 Sonicaps. Utilizing same values and no other mods done to the type "AA" crossovers they came with. Now the cosmetics are a different story....The veneer was just plain beat up. I really liked the 60th and 70th anniversary edition cosmetics so I incorporated a little of both to come up with what we have here and I think they came out great. They have lacewood veneer fronts with a hand-rubbed finish. The top hats have been done in a textures satin finish and " new school" grill cloth all around. I went with the latest Klipsch badges on the corners. The sequential serial numbers indicate that these were produced in the early 1980's. The crossovers are Type AA, K-77-M tweeters, K-55-V mid horns, and K-33-B woofers.

Please forgive the amateur photography and varied lighting in these photos as my room has poor fluorescent lighting that doesn't like to "pop" the woodgrain on the speakers. I had to experiment with accessory lighting to get these images. Be assured that the lacewood is indeed gorgeous...The speakers are located in Charleston SC and will need to be picked up. Price $5500
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2017, 12:24 am by blazin »

witchdoctor

Re: Klipschorns
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2017, 07:31 pm »
Wow, they look fantastic, great job!  :thumb:

Archguy

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2017, 11:51 pm »
WOW indeed. Spectacular work.

danvprod

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2017, 12:44 am »
I love how these make the GR Super Vs look tiny in your room. Beautiful work. GLWS.

blazin

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2017, 01:46 am »
Thanks guys....

Emil

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2017, 11:56 am »

blazin

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2017, 11:36 pm »
Still here guys