Will 3D audio replace the stereo in the future?

George Jackson

• Restricted
Will 3D audio replace the stereo in the future?
« on: 7 Jul 2017, 09:03 am »

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/140852-sennheiser-ambeo-smart-headset-preview-exploring-3d-sound

Since Sennheiser plans to launch the Smart Ambeo headset for consumer sphere,  will it change the way we record  and listen to the world?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Will 3D audio replace the stereo in the future?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jul 2017, 12:25 pm »
I'm confused (not all that unusual).  It seems that you're asking about some sort of simulated 3D headphone based technology.  Ambisonics around for decades, but required recordings made specially for them (using a mannequin's head with microphones mounted in each ear).  Its a great concept, but has failed to gain sufficient market share to be much of a success, in part because our in-room recordings are produced to exaggerate the separation we'd naturally hear (whatever that means based on artificial means used in the real world to create recordings). 

The product you linked to is intended for creating casual 3D recordings to pair with a live 360 degree video recording. 

Trying to convert conventional stereo (or multiple channel HT) recordings to headphone based use in order to gain more of a 3D effect would be fraught with all kinds of technical challenges, starting with layering another level of processing on top of all the recording practices and studio mixing already in place.  Which is probably why its never gain popularity.  And I'd leery that excessive levels "special" effects would be introduced.  I for one still want the natural presentation of musical performers (and most of the movie action) to be in front of me.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2017, 03:21 pm »
  Technically possible in the future but not a practical system. Unless one can design a living room friendly solution for the masses good luck. I'm sure there would be a market for over the top enthusiasts with dedicated space.

charles

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2017, 02:35 am »
Supplement but not replace.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2017, 03:17 am »
"Will 3D audio replace the stereo in the future?"

Not a chance. Look what happened to Carver's Sonic Holography. The lesson behind that failure proves that the average audiophile is by nature a purist, and as such they aren't interested in newfangled gimcrack.

George Jackson

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2017, 08:46 am »
I'm confused (not all that unusual).  It seems that you're asking about some sort of simulated 3D headphone based technology.  Ambisonics around for decades, but required recordings made specially for them (using a mannequin's head with microphones mounted in each ear).  Its a great concept, but has failed to gain sufficient market share to be much of a success, in part because our in-room recordings are produced to exaggerate the separation we'd naturally hear (whatever that means based on artificial means used in the real world to create recordings). 

The product you linked to is intended for creating casual 3D recordings to pair with a live 360 degree video recording. 

Trying to convert conventional stereo (or multiple channel HT) recordings to headphone based use in order to gain more of a 3D effect would be fraught with all kinds of technical challenges, starting with layering another level of processing on top of all the recording practices and studio mixing already in place.  Which is probably why its never gain popularity.  And I'd leery that excessive levels "special" effects would be introduced.  I for one still want the natural presentation of musical performers (and most of the movie action) to be in front of me.

Yeah, what I refer to is the binaural recording method which based on real head for capturing surround soundscape or called 3D sound. As you said, it would be confronted with all kinds of technical challenges. However, I already found one similar product called Scenes Lifelike  binaural microphone on the market. It enables to directly connect with iPhone to capture mobile 3D audio. You can check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7XChShXMQ
  As you said, it does need to reply on headphone or earphone to playback, which might be one of reasons that cannot gain major popularity. But if as audio technology advancing, will it be a chance to solve this part to meet those whose love natural presentations of audio ?

George Jackson

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2017, 08:53 am »
  Technically possible in the future but not a practical system. Unless one can design a living room friendly solution for the masses good luck. I'm sure there would be a market for over the top enthusiasts with dedicated space.

charles

If you can experience more immersive 3D audio than stereo, are you willing to listen to it through headphones rather than speakers? Btw, I believe more people are likely to listen to music on their samrtphone by earphone/headphone. In fact, the technical problem has been solved. I found one similar in-ear headphone called Scenes Lifelike which has already been able to just connect with iPhone to capture mobile 3D audio, and also can be shared to mainstream social platforms like this one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP7XChShXMQ

George Jackson

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2017, 08:55 am »
Supplement but not replace.

Can't agree with you more. But the prospect is promising since more people are likely to use smart phones and listen to music through headphones/earphone.

George Jackson

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2017, 08:57 am »
"Will 3D audio replace the stereo in the future?"

Not a chance. Look what happened to Carver's Sonic Holography. The lesson behind that failure proves that the average audiophile is by nature a purist, and as such they aren't interested in newfangled gimcrack.

All right, but if in the future the trend of listening to 3D audio through headphones has gained much of popularity, would it possible for audiophiles to try it?

JLM

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2017, 11:41 am »
Binaural headphone listening is the holy grail of listening to stereo reproduction. 

Thinking out loud about the recording process:  If done in a purist sense would put many microphone manufacturers and would change how recordings are made.  Room ambience would be included in live (unamplified) recordings and the performers would seemingly have to be in the same room, at the same time, in a stage-like oriented positioning.  Binaural recordings of live music would eliminate most microphone designs and the recording process would involve no mixing and only positioning the recording "head".  It would also change how we listen to live (unamplified) recordings as most are very close miked (unnaturally exaggerated).  Amplified and synthetic musical forms would have to be processed (mixed) somewhat differently. 

George Jackson

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2017, 07:06 am »
Binaural headphone listening is the holy grail of listening to stereo reproduction. 

Thinking out loud about the recording process:  If done in a purist sense would put many microphone manufacturers and would change how recordings are made.  Room ambience would be included in live (unamplified) recordings and the performers would seemingly have to be in the same room, at the same time, in a stage-like oriented positioning.  Binaural recordings of live music would eliminate most microphone designs and the recording process would involve no mixing and only positioning the recording "head".  It would also change how we listen to live (unamplified) recordings as most are very close miked (unnaturally exaggerated).  Amplified and synthetic musical forms would have to be processed (mixed) somewhat differently.

Yeah, I agree with you that the limitation of binaural recordings (binaural audio) should be listened with headphones. But if we can enjoy better and more immersive music effect, and as more people tend to use mobile devices to listen to music, would it be a chance to popularize it? In fact, any pair of headphone can be used to playback binaural  recordings.
  Regarding the recording process, it will indeed change the way how traditional music recording and mixing. But actually binaural recordings also can be edited by its specified post editing software. As audio technology advancing, the peripheral devices will come with it.

JLM

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2017, 10:43 am »
I see binaural as playing 2nd fiddle to traditional audio recordings into the foreseeable future.  Most headphone (including earbud) use is by non-audiophiles, so I don't see a big market for it.  But I'd vote to have it replace all the hi-res formats.  The challenge is getting the recording industry to adapt to offering both formats for sale keeping in mind the factors I mentioned above (and more I'm sure). 

George Jackson

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jul 2017, 07:30 am »
I see binaural as playing 2nd fiddle to traditional audio recordings into the foreseeable future.  Most headphone (including earbud) use is by non-audiophiles, so I don't see a big market for it.  But I'd vote to have it replace all the hi-res formats.  The challenge is getting the recording industry to adapt to offering both formats for sale keeping in mind the factors I mentioned above (and more I'm sure).

But there are more non-audiophiles on the market. As for the challenge to face, it is how to display binaural recording by speakers since there is some companies focused on it. https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/pgka5z/why-are-we-still-listening-to-music-in-two-dimensions

JLM

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jul 2017, 11:56 am »
The purpose of stereo was to create a 3D soundstage of the musical performance in front of you, which makes sense as we are so visually oriented and most of what we see is ahead of us.  This gets lost due to differing mixing of the artificial studio constructs (too numerous to list); home set ups (near-field, far field, varying room sizes/shapes); and speaker designs (traditional front firing dynamic speakers, dipoles, bipoles, omni/poly directional, vertical array all present the soundstage differently). 

As a member of the audience it's not natural (or desirable) to be in the middle of a musical performance.  But again trying to obtain binaural virtues in-room (versus headphones) is perhaps more difficult than the traditional stereo method.  The linked video is a good example (intended for laptop listening, not with speakers in room).

In VR applications (mostly gaming or action movies) it makes sense to go the binaural route.  Note that I listen near-field to single driver speakers in a dedicated well designed room.

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jul 2017, 12:29 pm »
Ah yes...that explains it, Jim!
(Note that I listen near-field to single driver speakers in a dedicated well designed room.)

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jul 2017, 06:32 pm »
All ... okay most ... software is stereo. That won't change in the future; after all the big push today is headphones, which is a stereo format. Don't worry, it's safe in 2-channel for quite a while yet, and it will always be an option regardless of what multi-whatever formats emerge.

There will always be "new" formats being pushed, just like in the video world. But that's about creating and sustaining new sales, not about audio fidelity. Many will fail, just as they have in the past. 5.1 is still the dominant format in AV, despite years of pushing alternatives. You might even say 5.1 will always be the dominant format for AV just like stereo will always be a viable format in audio. The rest is just "noise" to attract your dollars, if you are unwise enough to bite.