What is the purpose of the four LEDs on the front of the DAC DAC? + 2nd question

LarryD56

This is a pretty simple question as the subject line states.......What do the four LEDs on the front of the DAC DAC indicate? When I stream from my computer I get all four lights on, but when I hook into my CD player I only get two lighting up. BTW, I am enjoying the HS version. It was a bit harsh at first, but it quickly became smooth, yet nicely detailed. Bass is a bit more defined now too.
Can you tell me if there would be a noticeable improvement if I had a better SPDIF converter rather than the one coming out of my Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card? It seems to sound good and I hate to throw money at something that may not make that much of an improvement. This is my 1st stand-alone DAC and I like what I got.

Larry D.

Shear Bliss VMPS

Fantastic unit, I have the TL-version. The 1st LED is power, then signal, then 24/96, last is 24/192 capable. I run a Peachtree X-1 to get 24/192 via USB in to SPDIF out to DAC DAC.

I haven't tried the DAC DAC into my Classe CD player. Tommy ???

LarryD56

I am a tube guy, so I thought I wanted the TL version, but I'm also a detail guy, so I decided on the HS version after hearing that it was not harsh (which is usually the trade-off you have to put up with if you like details). I can't handle too much upper midrange, but the HS does not accentuate that , so I'm happy with my purchase. I'd sure like to hear a TL version someday to hear what I'm missing. I may get one once I get my upgrade on the Ultra paid off and my remodel finished. Also, I'm using an old Njoe Tjoeb 4000 tubed CD player which has a SPDIF out.

Larry D.

Shear Bliss VMPS

Larry,

Are you getting a Cherry Ultra upgraded to the new Mega series ???

DW

LarryD56

Yes I am, as soon as it's available. I'm really happy with the Ultra, so the upgrade should be something else.

After the Ultra upgrade I'm going to upgrade my Infinity RS 2.5 speakers, again.

Larry D.

Shear Bliss VMPS

Awesome! Sure the Mega upgrade with all that juice will get them 2.5 rocking. I owned a pair around 86-87 but didn't have the proper amp for them then. I just had Tommy build me a Super Cherry with a 1800 W transformer and Cardas binding posts which is fantastic driving my Acoustat 1100 panels. I hope to get the Mega upgrade done next year!

Will be interested on your Mega report once run in etc. A 48V Maraschino really shined into my 1100, but wanted the power.

DW

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Doug (DW) pretty much summed it up, but....

DAC DAC LEDs, left to right....
Power, valid stream, Fs > 50kHz, Fs > 100kHz

Glad that happy DAC DAC customers are posting on AC.   Here's the main DAC DAC thread in case you'd like to see or even add some comments there:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138311.0

Thanks very much for the kind words (:

-Tommy O